Apple Doesn't Fall Far in Disney's Descendants Teaser

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Apple Doesn't Fall Far in Disney's Descendants Teaser

Disney bad kid series teases black magic, wicked teenagers

Disney's Descendants has been one of the more unusual-sounding TV projects of 2015 since it was first announced teaser [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135455-Disneys-Descendants-Teen-Children-of-Famous-Villains-Go-to-School] has landed online, along with a YouTube Channel dedicated to the made-for-Disney Channel feature (which is presently still without an official premiere date.)

The high-concept telefilm (which is reportedly eyed as a potential series) is set in a Kingdom populated by the flesh-and-blood incarnations of characters from Maleficent, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/disney] Jaffar and Cruella DeVille) as they become the first "evil" characters admitted to a posh private school previously restricted to the offspring of their parents' "good" onetime enemies.

In the teaser, Maleficent's daughter Mal (Dove Cameron) is glimpsed briefly from behind approaching an apple tree; whose fruit she proceeds to transform into the film's logo via her mother's familiar green-smoke magic. The wicked parents then appear in instantly-recognizable silhouette. While "established" characters will appear (Kristen Chenoweth is Maleficent), thus far only the main four have been officially revealed.

Source: Disney Descendants [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUb5I0orG-g]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Shocksplicer said:
Everything about this seems like the most utterly dreadful thing ever to appear on television.
It's for a different generation than yours, it's what kids today are totally in to I'd imagine.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
Devieus said:
Shocksplicer said:
Everything about this seems like the most utterly dreadful thing ever to appear on television.
It's for a different generation than yours, it's what kids today are totally in to I'd imagine.
I am in my early twenties and it still seems off to me. I can't be that old can I...?

But I guess as long as it keeps the youn'uns off my lawn I can't complain.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Maleficent's daughter "Mal?" Like Lady & the Tramp's puppies Lad and the Tram? (Also why does she have sausage fingers?)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Devieus said:
Shocksplicer said:
So the kids these days are into shameless modern cash-ins of older Disney properties?
The whole school hierarchy thing has always been a popular subject (Monster High, ext), but the fact these characters are children of older Disney villains leaves me skeptical, at the very least, it's a complete lack of originality. Even Star Wars Rebels makes an effort to be it's own thing and not to harken back to the movies (aside from the fact that it's Star Wars in general).

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Christ this sounds generic, BUT if they're getting back to old Maleficent then I'm all for it..

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, how can Jaffar and the Wicked Queen have killed when they were killed?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I think the concept has potential. I'll be interested in seeing what they do with it.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
So it is basically Ever After High [http://www.everafterhigh.com/en-us] where they deal with fairy tale tropes and parent issues.
Got it, not as imaginative as the think it is.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
I'll stick to Once Upon a Time, thank you very much. Kristin Bauer is the only Maleficent for me.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
To be fair, none of these 'Disney Properties' were made by Disney, but are rather adaptations of tales (sometimes) hundreds of years older. This seems like it'll be no better than any of the other garbage on the Disney Channel, but don't forget that the 'Classic' disney moves aren't original either.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I better visit my doctor tomorrow because I believe I've gotten ear cancer.
That being said, it's sad how low Disney has fallen. Sounds like an creatively bankrupt cheap cash-in.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
That being said, it's sad how low Disney has fallen. Sounds like an creatively bankrupt cheap cash-in.
There is still hope for Disney in the form of their Disney Shorts! :D
Executive Producer of them is Paul Ruddish, the maker of Wander Over Yonder, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and the Powerpuff Girls. I recommend them, some of them are pretty good.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Neronium said:
BiH-Kira said:
Executive Producer of them is Paul Ruddish, the maker of Wander Over Yonder, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and the Powerpuff Girls. I recommend them, some of them are pretty good.
What about Gravity Falls?

Oh, and Rudish didn't make those shows. Foster's, Wander, and PPGs were created by Craig McCracken.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
VG_Addict said:
Neronium said:
BiH-Kira said:
What about Gravity Falls?

Oh, and Rudish didn't make those shows. Foster's, Wander, and PPGs were created by Craig McCracken.
I think I've seen like 1/3 of the episodes of Gravity Falls at this point between the 2 seasons. It's definitely good, so I plan on catching up on the rest.

Yeah. The only show you listed Neronium that Paul Rudish was involved in was The Powerpuff Girls and he wasn't the executive producer, but rather the storyboard artist and only for 6 of the episodes. Craig McCracken tends to do good stuff, but I can't say I care for any of the shows he's been involved in since Foster's, including Wander. I still like, or at least respect, the more recent stuff Paul Rudish has contributed to, but that makes sense because he tends to work with Genndy Tartakovsky. So, he still knows what he is doing. I kid, I kid.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
The only thing I want to see out of this is that Captain Hook is Maleficent's husband. Make that subtext in The House of Mouse cannon! It's probably going to be crap, but they could at least give us that.