Which Kickstarter Projects Had the Most Backers? One Is a Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Which Kickstarter Projects Had the Most Backers? One Is a Game

More than $1,000 a minute were pledged to Kickstarter projects in 2014, and nearly 2,000 game projects were funded.

Kickstarter had a strong 2014, leading off of a good 2013. Last year 3.3 million people around the world pledged a total of $529 million to 22,252 projects. Now Kickstarter has revealed the platform's year by the numbers, including details on which days and times were the most popular for pledging and which projects earned the most backers.

To no one's surprise, Seth MacFarlane pledged an additional $1 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134861-LeVar-Burton-Wants-to-Bring-Back-Reading-Rainbow] to the project on his own, bringing it over $6 million.

The second most-backed Kickstarter of 2014 was the COOLEST Cooler [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually] at 62,642 backers and $13.2 million, the most funded project on Kickstarter. The COOLEST Cooler combines blends drinks with speakers for a party-focused cooler. With storage, wheels especially meant for the beach, a bottle opener, and a built-in USB charger, the team behind this cooler was prepared for various party situations.

The third most-backed project was Warhorse Studios' Described as "Dungeons & no Dragons," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/kingdom%20come%20deliverance] the RPG is set in medieval Europe. The player can be a villain or a savior, play as a warrior, rogue, or bard, lead the charge in battles, and more. A successful stretch goal added quests where you play as a stealth-based female character and save the main character. Kingdom Come: Deliverance will also have a symphonic orchestra on soundtrack, a dog companion, a tournament mode, motion capture, and an in-game video teaching combat.

There were plenty of other cool projects; classic click and point adventure game a system that monitors your sleep patterns with data about your environment. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138757-Maniac-Mansion-Successor-Thimbleweed-Park-Achieved-its-Kickstarter-Goal]

August had the most funded projects by month (2,311) while January was the lowest (1,242). Music and film or video-based projects had the most number of successfully funded Kickstarters, just reaching 4,009 in music and 3,846 in film and video. The games section sits behind publishing projects; almost 2,000 games were funded successfully. Interestingly, Wednesday had the most number of pledges on average, with it petering out on the weekends. Most people backed projects in the early afternoon.

Crowdfunding is firmly a part of games, technology, and more today. What kind of projects will we see in 2015?

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/year/2014/data?ref=yir2014]

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Am I retarded? I really can't see where she tells us which kickstarter project was the FIRST.
I see 5th, 2nd and 3rd most backed projects, but not the first.

Sep 13, 2009
Li Mu said:
Am I retarded? I really can't see where she tells us which kickstarter project was the FIRST.
I see 5th, 2nd and 3rd most backed projects, but not the first.
These are the most backed Kickstarters of 2014, the Reading Rainbow one was the 5th most backed campaign of all time and most backed of 2014 (I believe by number of backers, not by funds raised).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How did I not heard of the kickstarter on a device that monitor your sleep patterns and your enviroment when sleeping???? That literally the greatest invention of them all for me (I have trouble sleeping)!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It's a good thing Reading Rainbow, a legitimate thing we need in today's underfunded schools, got the most backers. But it's kinda sad that a beer cooler (No offense to the creators. It's a neat space saving device.) beat RR twice over in funding. But, I would guess lot's of those backers basically only pledged the $185 or so just to get the goods, not to support the project. So, I guess it's works out in the end.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
a WiFi-connected HDMI stick for HDTV and HD monitors
so they invented new WiFi protocols? because no current one in existence can stream HD without turning to horrible quality. i mean yeah there is that 1gbps protocol that 99.9% of people will never have hardware for. most people are still stuck on the old g protocol that cant stream video.

So keep your cables folks.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Stuck on wireless G? Mid range wireless N routers are 40$ on Amazon, cheap ones are 25$. The minimum speed for wireless N is 54 mbit, Netflix super HD is 6 mbit. I guess it depends on what you mean by horrible quality. I`m wirelessly streaming HD through my chromecast right now.

Theres 5 GHZ wireless N routers with transfer rates upwards of 300 mbits for 50$. I guess I`m the 0.1%.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Cool Mini or Not keeps peeling money out of my wallet via Kickstarter every couple of months. I'm conflicted, as the games are neat, but I'm sure at some point I'll be buried in little plastic people.

I also threw money at Shaquille O'Neil via Indiegogo to see how that potential train wreck of a video game turns out.

I did NOT pay a man to make potato salad for himself and to throw a potato salad party.

So... I've basically been using Kickstarter, etc. as a glorified pre-order system. I regret nothing.