No Changes Coming for Last Week Tonight Season 2

harpere

May 20, 2014
No Changes Coming for Last Week Tonight Season 2

With a stand-out first season, keeping season 2 just the same is definitely a good thing.

Sure, we would watch a show about John Oliver solving crime (with or without a pony), but we're pretty happy with HBO's satirical news show Last Week Tonight just as it is. And there's good news for fans of the show (and host Oliver): it's coming back for season 2, with HBO promising more or the same hard-hitting news coverage that made season 1 so great. Like this Lowes' dangerous robot sales assistants [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY].

Do those videos make you miss Oliver's take on the news of the week? Then you're in luck, because Last Week Tonight is returning for season 2 in just a few weeks, on February 8th. The only question is whether or not John Oliver can fill The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/highdefinition/12756-Remembering-Comedy-Central-s-The-Colbert-Report], which will be taking over Colbert's post-Daily Show timeslot even sooner, on January 19th.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Is Bill Maher still a thing?.... I feel like I haven't heard about him since Last Week Tonight happened.

Also I'm disappointed that The Cenac Attack doesn't happen after Larry Wilmore's show.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
RatGouf said:
Is Bill Maher still a thing?.... I feel like I haven't heard about him since Last Week Tonight happened.

Also I'm disappointed that The Cenac Attack doesn't happen after Larry Wilmore's show.
Yes, Bill Maher is still a thing.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Fans of Last Week Tonight should also check out The Bugle, a weekly satirical podcast/ vector for the consumption of concentrated bullshit hosted by Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
I love his show, and Oliver is a really funny guy. This article is really reminding him of one of his segments, though. Yeah, the one about Featured Content in news, and why its killing journalism. Stop packaging advertisements as news, Escapist, even if it's for stuff I like. You used to have some level of trustworthiness and integrity.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I find this show really funny and season 2 sounds great! :D
My favorite has to be the nuclear warhead episode, which was one of the first episodes I think.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Yeah, the one about Featured Content in news, and why its killing journalism.
I-... what? Since when? It's entertainment journalism. Did Jon Oliver stab a guy? If not, there's really not much else to talk about! He's probably gonna be on TV and he's probably gonna be British. Story done.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
RatGouf said:
Yes, in fact I didn't start listening to Realtime with Bill Maher until very recently, after Oliver's show began.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Well good, the first season was absolutely brillent. The host was brillent, the stories were brillent, it was, overall, a brillent show.

If you think it is a brilliant show, you would be wrong. Last week tonight is not brilliant, it is specifically: brillent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbw0gJHHBk

No, but I am looking forward to it's return.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
I absolutely love this show. In the past few years, Colbert and Stewart's shows have both gone downhill in my opinion. It's all about funny little snippets and it gets boring after awhile. I've watched every episode of John Oliver's show and EVERY time I learned something. Whether it was what's actually happening with the money from State Lottery or some of the intricacies of our prison system.

His show is set up perfectly, with anywhere from 12-18 minutes spent on general happenings, making jokes and what not. Then a dedicated 12-18 minutes spent on a SPECIFIC topic. It's that second segment that really makes the difference. While he is still making jokes and does them very well, it's extremely informative and whether or not I agree with him on every topic, he at least has the balls to take a side and give a very well thought out and rational argument to his stance, which I respect. I laugh when I watch Colbert and Stewart, but other then that, never walk away with much. The only thing they do which Oliver doesn't is the interviews, which are sometimes very good and meaningful, but the majority of them are with actors/actresses and I really don't care what they have to say.

Can't wait for the start of Season 2 and look forward to more segments like the Net Neutrality segment.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The show is great and i lvoe this man, even if he sometimes say really stupid things. Glad to hear the show will be good in second season as well.

Shocksplicer said:
Fans of Last Week Tonight should also check out The Bugle, a weekly satirical podcast/ vector for the consumption of concentrated bullshit hosted by Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.
LWT is the only thing of his i watched since i was introduced to him by a friend. If this is going to be more of that type of stuff - THANK YOU.

Bugle 283

Well, at least its less than an hour long so thats not 283 hours of my time that will have to dissapear. yes, i like to listend to podcasts since the first. it was hell to find the first podtoids and they were utter shit but i listened to them.