SMITE Brings 3rd Largest Prize Pool to World Championship

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SMITE Brings 3rd Largest Prize Pool to World Championship

Hi-Rez Studios' SMITE Brings 3rd Largest Prize Pool in eSports to SMITE World Championship.

Day One has wrapped here in Atlanta for Hi-Rez Studios' Hi-Rez [http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/promo/smite-world-championship] to the ~$2.6 million - making it the 3rd largest in eSports history.

Eight teams qualifying in regional championship events in North America, Europe, China, and South America are battling it out here to see who's best - it doesn't hurt that the winner's trophy isn't some fancy looking chalice but instead Thor's Hammer itself. In Day One, it was a double elimination bracket for placement into Day Two. Each match was played to a best of one, so there was not a lot of room for error. While there were some exciting matches played, nothing too unexpected happened. Coming into this event the North American and European teams are the heavy favorites seeing as they've had more time with the game thus far.

In addition to the tournament, Hi-Rez Studios also had some announcements and reveals during Day One. Today was the unveiling of a playable version of SMITE on Xbox One. As a third-person more action heavy Beta sign ups [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/moba] have already begun. The other announcement was a preview of things to come in Season 2, with the big reveal being the redone Conquest map. The new map will feature some major visual changes along with a number of gameplay updates.

Two teams are headed home, but tomorrow the remaining six will battle it out to see who progress to the finals and who ends up fighting for 3rd and 4th - which is still the difference of upwards of $100,000.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
I wonder if Riot will try this with LoL. Valve has had amazing success doing this with DotA (they hold the #1 and #2 slots, with #1 being nearly $11mil), and while I don't play League, it'd be interesting to see what they can do with this type of crowdsourcing.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
8BitArchitect said:
I wonder if Riot will try this with LoL. Valve has had amazing success doing this with DotA (they hold the #1 and #2 slots, with #1 being nearly $11mil), and while I don't play League, it'd be interesting to see what they can do with this type of crowdsourcing.
No need for Riot to do it, as they pay a salary to the teams on top of tournament winnings (not sure if Valve do also, will have to investigate).