Pikachu, Gardevoir and Suicune Join That Pokemon Fighting Game

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pikachu, Gardevoir and Suicune Join That Pokemon Fighting Game

The latest Pokken Tournament gameplay video shows off Pikachu, Gardevoir and Suicune as new playable characters.

Back when Nintendo first announced Pokken Tournament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137050-Tekken-Meets-Pokemon-in-Pokken-Tournament] - the Pokemon fighting game from Tekken developer Bandai Namco - it showed us just two fighters: Lucario and Machamp. Considering that there are over seven hundred of the little monsters now, it seemed a given that we'd get more info on more playable characters soon. And now we have! Pikachu, the mascot of the series, alongside Gardevoir and Suicune will be playable characters in Pokken Tournament.

Check out the new trailer featuring the trio, as well as some gameplay footage of them in action, in the video above. As well as the three main fighters, Pokken Tournament producer and Tekken team lead Katsuhiro Harada explained that the game would have "assist" characters, that would not be playable but could be selected to help you out in battle. He revealed Emolga, Fenniken, Lapras and Snivy as the first assist characters.

Harada also talked a bit about how the actual game will play, telling us that fights are broken up into a field phase, in which Pokemon can run around the fighting area and use long distance attacks, and a duel phase, when fighters get close and fight hand-to-hand. Each Pokemon has it's own "ultimate" attack called a Resonance Burst, and characters are ranked by their skill in field fighting, duel fighting and their ultimate move.

Additionally, eschew of the customary arcade stick (so far, Pokken Tournament has only been confirmed for an arcade release), the game will use a gamepad that is reminiscent of traditional Nintendo controllers. Check it out, along with some screenshots, below:

[gallery=3741]

If you happen to live in Japan, you can check out the game during it's "test dates", in which it will temporarily be available in arcades across Tokyo. The test dates will be held on January 30 to February 1, and on Valentine's Day (February 14).

There is still no word on whether this game will be making it to the Wii U, or even to any territories outside of Japan.

Source: Gameranx [http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv203636058]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I am now highly disappointed by Pikachu being in here. Dammit, this would have been the greatest opportunity for:
Pikaman!

Well if worst comes to worst, Wario could crash the game as well, because I mean he could pass off for Pikachu:

Yes this is a full on playable mod for Wario, and it's just hilarious to use at times. :p

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Neronium said:
I am now highly disappointed by Pikachu being in here. Dammit, this would have been the greatest opportunity for:
Pikaman!

Well if worst comes to worst, Wario could crash the game as well, because I mean he could pass off for Pikachu:

Yes this is a full on playable mod for Wario, and it's just hilarious to use at times. :p
Wario is OP, and my favorite all time character... only because of all the years of MK64 and people laughing at me when I pick "slow dumb Wario" until their faces drop when I whizz by or smash their karts into oblivion because by god my fatass master of all things says it best "I'ma Wario, I'ma gonna win!"

I'm sorry what was the topic? Oh yeah this game looks interesting... I still want Pokemon Stadium updated to current gen though.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh god damn. I have the biggest grin on my face. This game actually looks really freakin' cool. When Gardevoir unleashed that Shadow Ball I was pretty much like "Yep, gonna have to buy a WiiU now."

It may be a long shot, but I feel like this could be a prototype for Nintendo to test the waters with this battle system. I wonder if we might see it implemented in a future flagship title.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
entire pokken tournament stream (you may want to skip around a bit for the good parts)

it looks pretty intense, but i'm afraid hugging the invisible wall might become a dominant factor

Sep 14, 2009
I wish this played more like a 3rd person action rpg/zelda rather than street fighter/mortal kombat, otherwise I've been begging for something like this for years, with the 4 move limit and the anime making pokemon battles look actually like fun, this could really work for a fast paced action game, this might bring that breath of fresh air I've been wanting.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I really hope this gets released on the console!
Looks like so much fun and I haven't really enjoyed a 1 on 1 fighting game since DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3. There is Smash but it's a different sort of fighting game :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know, it actually starting to look cool now since it kind like a more "real" version of an Pokemon battle like in the anime than the usual turn based battle.

Now if only they have the annoying Trainers shouting attacks and more complex statergy (like that episode when Ash got Pikachi to stand on his tail to dodge Raichi lighting attacks) to make it the real thing!

Still I cna easily see people being happy or unhappy at beating up Gardivour!

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Machamp using stone edge at the end- bad.ass.

Good to see that they're making use of non-humanoid characters as well! I was worried they'd shy away from this due to design limitations. Steelix as a fighter anyone?

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Are they chosing pokemon to put in this by counting their Rule 34 appearances?

I mean, happy as I am to see it in, Gardevoir dosen't exactly strike me as the first pick for a psychic type to put in a fighting game.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I know they must have Pikachu, but I hope they choose to include Raichu, because Raichu is made for a fighting game and doesn't get enough attention.

Also I hope they port this game and bring it overseas.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Apparently Pikachu has been taking lessons from the Mishima family. With quadrupeds being confirmed, this makes me wonder what else could show up. I think most of the GIGANTIC Pokemon won't show up due to obvious reasons, but we'll see. They also only have the first four gens right now, so I wonder what the others could be. I'm at least hoping for Mewtwo to show up.

Nov 28, 2007
Naqel said:
Are they chosing pokemon to put in this by counting their Rule 34 appearances?

I mean, happy as I am to see it in, Gardevoir dosen't exactly strike me as the first pick for a psychic type to put in a fighting game.
To be fair, Gardevoir is considered to be one of the more powerful psychic Pokemon, because while it has low defense and HP, it has high Special Attack and Special Defense, and has several support options. Of course, part of the appeal of Gardevoir is its Magikarp Power, seeing as how Ralts and Kirlia are both seen as fairly weak. Of course, I'm partially using TV Tropes as a source, so that may not be entirely accurate, but I know in my playthroughs of any game with it, I'm usually using Gardevoir as my psychic Pokemon.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
it also has a mega form which it uses in battle, which is automatic candidate material

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
thebobmaster said:
To be fair, Gardevoir is considered to be one of the more powerful psychic Pokemon, because while it has low defense and HP, it has high Special Attack and Special Defense, and has several support options.
Gardevoir is a rather mediocre pokemon as far as power goes, even after Fairy type was introduced as a subtype for it.
It got popular cause it's a perfect pokephilia target. It looks humanoid, has the added bonus of having "perfect waifu" lore(knows and usually shares how you feel, bonds strongly enough to value owners life over it's own), ect.

I really don't mind it being in, it's just the best example of the trend I bring up here, since no pokemon game can go without Pikachu(and there's Rule 34 for all of them).

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
onion panzer said:
[http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1221553]
I must thank you for introducing me to that artist. The little pictures and comics he makes are adorable, especially the ones with Gardevoir. :3

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Well, since Snivy is a support character, I doubt Serperior could be a fighter. Happened in both Smash and Pokken now. :/

Anyway, still excited for this of course, especially now that we know there are going to be other types, and Pokemon like Suicune who are not humanoid, bipedal Pokemon.

I just hope that Charizard is not in it. Not because I dislike Charizard, but I hope this game gives other Pokemon some glory. Charizard is already in Smash, and it's overused in plenty of other Poke-media.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Somehow, I don't think some of my favorites will make it into this game...
there is no hope for me...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I always like a game in which I can beat the everliving shit out of pikachu.