Homeworld Remastered Releasing This February

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Homeworld Remastered Releasing This February

Gearbox has revealed that the Homeworld Remastered Collection will be releasing next month on February 25th.

You may recall last Thursday <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139570-Gearbox-Promises-New-Homeworld-Remastered-Announcement-at-PAX-South>when we reported that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gearbox>Gearbox Software had plans to reveal new information about its much-anticipated <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/homeworld%20remastered?os=homeworld+remastered>Homeworld Remastered Collection at PAX South this past weekend. As promised, the company delivered, releasing the collection's first teaser trailer and revealing a release date. That's right, franchise fans. If you've been eagerly awaiting the re-release of these classic games, you can finally mark a date on your calendar: February 25th.

As exciting as it is to know when the game will be releasing however, the real treat from this reveal might just be footage from the new teaser. Most of what's show comes from the series' hand drawn cinematics and Homeworld 2. That said, the teaser also includes a brief snippet from the remastered edition of the original
Homeworld which, in a word, looks like a brand new game. In fact, according to Gearbox's Chris Faylor, the remastered editions of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 should now look nearly identical in terms of graphical quality. "We've strived to make sure both Homeworld Remastered and Homeworld 2 Remastered are of the same visual fidelity," he said, speaking to The Escapist.

The Remastered Collection will be bringing more to the table, however, than just shinier visuals. The new versions of the games will come packaged with a redesigned user-interface that was designed with "the original team" and scales "all the way up to 4K." The collection will also include the classic, unaltered versions of the games as well as free access to the Homeworld Remastered Multplayer Beta which will go live on the same day as the collection's February release. The new multiplayer experience will combine modes, maps and races from both Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to create a new "integrated multiplayer experience."

[gallery=3745]
Gamers interested in purchasing the Homeworld Remastered Collection can pre-order it digitally through Steam. Gearbox also produced a spiffy physical collector's edition complete with a gorgeous model of the game's famous mothership. Unfortunately, the collector's edition is already sold out <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Homeworld-Remastered-Collectors-Edition-Pc/dp/B00K6ZUOQE>in North America, something that Faylor doesn't see changing anytime soon. "It's unlikely we'll be able to get more into production before launch due to the whole production pipeline of getting time at a factory and launch being just a month away," he said. As much as that stinks, we at least don't have to wait much longer to play the game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I hope, so dearly and sincerely hop, that Gearbox don't balls this up.

Homeworld and 2 being included in the bundle with the remasters at least means that even if they do there will something great to play.

Please don't balls it up guys...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
I hope, so dearly and sincerely hop, that Gearbox don't balls this up.

Homeworld and 2 being included in the bundle with the remasters at least means that even if they do there will something great to play.

Please don't balls it up guys...
Isn't it just a graphical upgrade?

OT: I saw this on Steam and it blew my mind, just a shame Homeworld Cataclysm will likely never be remastered since the source code is gone. That said I loved the original games, they were truly groundbreaking and I know this'll be a day one purchase for me.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
New graphics, new models, new audio, new UI, online multiplayer features.

There's plenty of space for a balls up, remember these guys finished Duke Nukem Forever and made Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's a long time since they made Opposing Force.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Xan Krieger said:
New graphics, new models, new audio, new UI, online multiplayer features.

There's plenty of space for a balls up, remember these guys finished Duke Nukem Forever and made Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's a long time since they made Opposing Force.
They also made Borderlands so I feel they're not given enough credit. Everyone focuses on the bad and not the good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So much for Borderlands 3 but this isn't a bad news (but in saying so, how did they get the rights to that game in the first place?).

Granted I never played it when it first came out, the closest was a demo that my bro played. Still I know well enough that it was such an acclaim game so I am thinking of buying the remastered version that is if my pc can handle it.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Everyone's being sceptical because Gearbox, no surprises here. They've released plenty of good games over the years, including the criminally undermentioned Brothers in Arms series, but of course everyone remembers their two bad ones. Not saying they were right, but considering that all the writing and game design is done for them, they really couldn't fuck it up. Give 'em some credit here people; they're not completely stupid.

Not to mention the last thing they're going to want to happen is to get yet more bad press on the first game they'll have released since A:CM, that sort of thing can ruin a company.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Not really interested in the game but I am interested in seeing how Gearbox handles DLC with 2K Games out of the picture. They're the worst.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
"Warriors of the Vaygr Reaches, the time of prophesy is at hand! Glory be to the Sajuuk-khar!"

Over the past years I've learned to stop pre-ordering games, but colour me very excited nonetheless. Homeworld is one of my favorite games of all time and to be honest, looking at the trailer, I quite like what they're done with it.

I hope the Adagio for Strings will still be in there. As someone else mentioned in a previous Homeworld thread, it's one of the few pieces of media that has used it without coming of as pretentious.

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Wait wait wait... do they mean i get to shoot taidani, hiigarans and err.... hw2 hiigarans as a vaygr now? ^^ Yum.

Alas, i miss the beast in the fold....