8 Historical Moments that Deserve a New Video Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Historical Moments that Deserve a New Video Game

These eight historical moments deserve new games, and we'll tell you what they should be.

Read Full Article

Apr 17, 2009
<Insert obligatory nitpick here about how England couldn't fall in the time of Arthur because England didn't actually exit yet>

I'd quite like to see a game about the Spanish Civil War. Why? I just don't really know much about it is all. It doesn't seem to get much focus anywhere, overshadowed a little by the World Wars either side of it, and it would be nice to see a prominent historical event given a bit more limelight. And since, from what I've heard, Francisco Franco is sort of "Hitler-lite" then hey, even the jingoistic first-person shooters can have an unambiguously bad badguy so you don't have to feel guilty about your ever increasing kill count

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
But wait... we had the Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper game... that was like you described! It was one of the better Sherlock Holmes games too, and didn't have the creepy Watson glitch that Nemesis had!

As for the King Arthur one... That I would be massively behind! I loved the lore appearing in Tomb Raider Chronicles, and how they tied the legend to similar legends of famous weapons in different cultures. Although a straight RPG would be a treat! Fighting off the Saxon hordes with your band of knights.

I am torn between whether it should stick to the myth version though, with magic from Merlin, some mystical beings (Lady in the Lake?) and so forth, or whether they should try and recreate a 5th century England and keep it straight. I think the myth would make it more entertaining. Maybe having a Dragon Age style team picking, and having to choose which of the Knights fits a specific scenario!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
1: Pharoah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_(video_game)

2. Civil war http://www.matrixgames.com/products/500/details/Civil.War.II

3. no revolting American fps that I know of

4. Mongols http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Mongols

5. Lots of business simulators perhaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism_(video_game) is the closest

6 King Arthur http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur:_The_Role-Playing_Wargame

7 As posted by My Dear Watson

8. There was a late 80s game based on the Vietnam war but I cant remember the name

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Pallindromemordnillap said:
<Insert obligatory nitpick here about how England couldn't fall in the time of Arthur because England didn't actually exit yet>
Yeah, you've beaten me to the punch there, the opposite really since it was the Germanic invaders who England would be named after, but anyway, it would be cool to have modern console game based on Arthurian legends :p

Apr 17, 2009
JoJo said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Yeah, you've beaten me to the punch there, the opposite really since it was the Germanic invaders who England would be named after, but anyway, it would be cool to have modern console game based on Arthurian legends :p
Heh, your avatar is enjoyably appropriate for this topic XD

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
The Haitian Revolution slave revolt, led by Toussaint L'Ouverture in 1791. They pushed back armies and established a state. There was not only fighting, but diplomacy and strategy in dealing with the French, Spanish, English and Americans. I think that could be pretty awesome as a strategy game.

Jan 12, 2012
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Pff half of them about the USA and at least we do have some games (even if few) about those topics.

You already learn about that in Americans schools, at least put something in games you don't learn about, or do you want to keep the lack of outside borders knowledge steyotype going?
What about those of us who aren't American? I'd like to see a more realistic take on the American Revolution than it received in ACIII. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to see a game about something you already know about to deal with the subject in a different way, especially if it's something you learned about in school and want to keep learning more. Or maybe fuck the learning entirely and just play in something that's familiar.

Flintlock rifles, Spencer carbines, cannons and more would be the armaments of choice. Every shot counts, and if you miss, reloads can take a while (unless you find one of those Spencers), so you might want to go to the bayonet.
Either the author knows something I don't or he misplaced the reference to this rifle in the American Revolution section rather than the Civil War section. I don't know of any repeating weapons used in the American Revolution, and even rifles were fairly limited in their use.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Flintlock rifles, Spencer carbines, cannons and more would be the armaments of choice. Every shot counts, and if you miss, reloads can take a while (unless you find one of those Spencers), so you might want to go to the bayonet.
Either the author knows something I don't or he misplaced the reference to this rifle in the American Revolution section rather than the Civil War section. I don't know of any repeating weapons used in the American Revolution, and even rifles were fairly limited in their use.
ARRRRGH! I misplaced it. You're completely correct. Gonna go fix that now.

Thanks for catching it for me!

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
I really like the idea of that last one. I think I could enjoy a X-COM style Vietnam game.
When Archon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Archon] proposed that one, I couldn't believe I never thought of it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Darkest of Days did the American Civil War(or at least, the battle of Antietam) in an FPS. The game had issues but at least they get props for trying.

There are numerous strategy games that, if not based exclusively on the conflict, use the American Revolution as a scenario.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
albino boo said:
8. There was a late 80s game based on the Vietnam war but I cant remember the name
The one that came most immediately to mind was the one based on Platoon [http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/platoon.htm].

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Decent list, but personally I'd have WWI, history's most important "unknown" war on it too. Some sort of grand strategy game focued on ~1870 - WWI would be amazing.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I wouldn't mind another American Civil War game, I think the last Assassins Creed I played (AC3) kinda resparked my interest in it. I remember playing one on the PC ages ago (I mean aaaages), if anyone can remember it, it was just called North Vs. South I think and it was more of a Total War type scenario of pitting armies and platoons against each other. There were cannons, bayonets and lots of gunpowder.

Vietnam war in turn-based a-la Jagged Alliance 2 or X-COM would be phenomenal. Integrating the tunnels and traps into it would be flat-out AMAZING. Having visited the war tunnels in Vietnam myself, and seeing the ingenious, yet spine-chilling traps that were set by the VC, it would be a chaotic and stressful war environment, I really sympathize with anyone who was there and experienced it, and smoking weed just to stop from going insane.

If anyone's interested, the ones that still graphically stuck in my mind:
- The covered leaf-pit trap, in many variations: small one, just for foot, with spikes that point up AND downwards, so it's nearly impossible to escape from without further injury, leaving one screaming soldier to give away position of his platoon.
- The swinging trapdoor spike trap, needs no further explanation
- The threshold spike trap, where someone steps through a door way and a heavy spiked board can be released remotely to swing down and impale someone, special attention to the nether regions in spike location
- In the tunnels: Caltrops, so someone in pursuit in such a dark tunnel (crawlspace size only) who took a wrong turn could end up with a long spike thru the face
- And the tunnels themselves, so many tactical options. Apparently many had 90 degree bends close to the entrance so someone escaping could also avoid a grenade blast, then pop up somewhere else and shoot the pursuer.

Imagine all this in a game...it would be too real and stressful almost.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
An X-COM style Vietnam strategy game would be very interesting. Much more so if both the US forces and the NVA were playable factions, like in Men of War: Vietnam and Vietcong 2.

EDIT: Korean War is a missed opportunity as well. FPS, RTS, TBS....Surgeon Simulator: Maj. Frank Burns Edition, ANYTHING!