Assassin's Creed Movie Enters Production

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Assassin's Creed Movie Enters Production

The Assassin's Creed movie is currently scheduled for a 2016 release.

a movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/assassins%20creed%20unity?os=assassins+creed+unity] made for Ubisoft's growing juggernaut, and now, we've learned that production has begun ahead of its December 2016 release date.

More specifically, the movie, produced by New Regency and 20th Century Fox, will hit theaters on December 21, 2016. Ubisoft chief executive officer Yves Guillemot announced this week during an earnings call that shooting would begin shortly.

The film will star Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, X-men: First Class) as its titular Assassin, but we've no indication on when and where it will be set. Given that the franchise spans from the Crusades to the American Revolution, there's quite a bit of wiggle room there!

When we last heard from Fassbender last year, he said the Assassin's Creed film will be respectful of the game. At the same time, however, the actor pointed out that "we also want to bring new elements to it and perhaps our own vision of things that already exist in the game."

As well as Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft has movies planned for its Far Cry, Rabbids, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, and Ghost Recon franchises.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-movie-officially-enters-productio/1100-6425266/]

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Okay, the rest of those kinda make sense but... Watch_Dogs? Really?
...Why?
It's only had one game out, and it had luke-warm reception at best. Are they just banking on the hopes that the sequel will become a big hit like Assassin's Creed did? Was expanding to some kind of cross-medium connected universe the whole plan from the get-go?
It just seems like they had pre-decided that Watch_Dogs was going to be a hit, and they never even factored in the possibility of it not being one.

OT: Eh, might be okay if they've got a decent director at the helm, I guess we'll see.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Madame_Lawliet said:
Okay, the rest of those kinda make sense but... Watch_Dogs? Really?
...Why?
It's only had one game out, and it had luke-warm reception at best. Are they just banking on the hopes that the sequel will become a big hit like Assassin's Creed did? Was expanding to some kind of cross-medium connected universe the whole plan from the get-go?
It just seems like they had pre-decided that Watch_Dogs was going to be a hit, and they never even factored in the possibility of it not being one.
I can easily see them make a dumb action movie based on WATCH_DOGS. That could be a good movie, regardless of the quality of the game itself, making the movie work as an advertisement for the game.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The movie will feature a handsome yet inexplicably socially awkward boy in high school that discovers he's the descendant of a line of bad-ass man hunters, tasked with defending the free world.
Using the skills locked in his genetic memory, he saves the world from certain tyranny and gets back just in time to get with the love-interest we've been introduced to in the beginning of the movie.

No, I'm not very optimistic about this movie. >.>

Additional stupid they could put in this movie:
-a bully he gets to beat up or intimidate with his assassin fisticuffs skills to show his growth in strength. (because violence equals growth, apparently)
-The protagonist talking directly to his ancestors "Avatar-style". (it's not time-travel, you are not alive around the same time, you do not get to communicate!)
--addition to the former point: talking to ancestors and have them do things to help you in the present. (sure, this won't hurt anything in the world we know, and it's gonna stay there for centuries too!)
-ancestor assassin get's stuck in 21st century America and must now deal with how the world has changed since his time. (oh, the wackiness! what is this moving device with people in it, gay people are no longer burned at the stake? unheard of!)

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Hmm...I would actually watch all of those movies. I guess I'm just the sucker Ubisoft wants.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I'd dig this is if it didn't directly use the Animus, and just told each movie from it's respective protagonists' view with carefully woven details that infers that perhaps there's something just not quite right with the world.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
From what I heard this will be an Altair movie which sucks since Altair isnt that great of a protag. I really hope it not too late fom hem to ditch Altair for Ezio. Ezio was far more likable and his story would be less controversial in this current political climate. Also If Davinci's Demons and AC 2 is any indicator Renaissance Italy will be more visually appealing than the Crusader Era Levant would.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
As much as I have a problem with Ubisoft and its pseudo-genre of games, I have to admit that the narrative concept of AssCreed is, on its own, interesting. Let's just hope it can break the 'movies based on games are terrible' curse.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
According to IMDb:
Director: Justin kurzel (snowtown murders, the turning, and Blue Tongue)

Written by: Bill College and Adam Cooper (Accepted, Tower Heist, and Exodus), Michel Lesllie (Skirt, Airlock)

Synopsys:
A convicted felon is recruited by a company called "Abstergo" to explore the mind of his ancestor in order to recover a sacred artifact.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Only 2 years to make and release a movie? I don't have high hopes.

There's been a couple of decent "Game to Movie" adaptations as the years have gone on (But only a couple) so I hope they can take some notes.

I adore the AC franchise (Much to the annoyance of the Steam discussion forums) but I'm gonna to reign in my hype for this one.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Its going to be interesting to see what they come up with, but I don't expect much from the movie for to me it would be a difficult task to really "keep to the spirit of the game" when there is so much killing surrounding the game and would get boring to watch. At the same time I am more interested in an Assassin's Creed movie at this point then another Assassin's Creed game, for I still haven't downloaded my free copy of Unity from when I bought a new video card.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Zydrate said:
Only 2 years to make and release a movie? I don't have high hopes.

There's been a couple of decent "Game to Movie" adaptations as the years have gone on (But only a couple) so I hope they can take some notes.

I adore the AC franchise (Much to the annoyance of the Steam discussion forums) but I'm gonna to reign in my hype for this one.
I would only be concerned about the quality if they were releasing the movie in two years and they were just starting pre-production, for if I understand my Hollywood terms correctly being in production means they have the script written and all the locations scouted they just need to film the movie and work on post-production and that might not take long depending on how much CGI/post-production effects are needed.

If you look at SPECTRE they just entered into principle photography a couple of months ago and the movie will be in theaters in November.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
ddrkreature said:
According to IMDb:
Director: Justin kurzel (snowtown murders, the turning, and Blue Tongue)

Written by: Bill College and Adam Cooper (Accepted, Tower Heist, and Exodus), Michel Lesllie (Skirt, Airlock)

Synopsys:
A convicted felon is recruited by a company called "Abstergo" to explore the mind of his ancestor in order to recover a sacred artifact.
Oh dear. To me that sounds neither inspired or inspiring. I guess this means this isn't directly related to Desmond's story. That's probably for the best.

OT: I'm conflicted on this one: I like the premise of Assassin's Creed and feel it could translate pretty well to an action movie but this feels like it somehow cheapens the artistic merit of the Assassin's Creed franchise (beyond what its managed to do on its own). I immediately feel the urge to start ranting about us getting away from the idea of "since it's a movie it's legitimate! whooo!" and games can stand on their own as a form of story telling, but this movie could offer a new perspective to that universe that the games did not cover. Guess I'll just put my soapbox and loudspeaker away for now until we get more news about the movie.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Combustion Kevin said:
The movie will feature a handsome yet inexplicably socially awkward boy in high school that discovers he's the descendant of a line of bad-ass man hunters, tasked with defending the free world.
Using the skills locked in his genetic memory, he saves the world from certain tyranny and gets back just in time to get with the love-interest we've been introduced to in the beginning of the movie.

No, I'm not very optimistic about this movie. >.>

Additional stupid they could put in this movie:
-a bully he gets to beat up or intimidate with his assassin fisticuffs skills to show his growth in strength. (because violence equals growth, apparently)
-The protagonist talking directly to his ancestors "Avatar-style". (it's not time-travel, you are not alive around the same time, you do not get to communicate!)
--addition to the former point: talking to ancestors and have them do things to help you in the present. (sure, this won't hurt anything in the world we know, and it's gonna stay there for centuries too!)
-ancestor assassin get's stuck in 21st century America and must now deal with how the world has changed since his time. (oh, the wackiness! what is this moving device with people in it, gay people are no longer burned at the stake? unheard of!)
I don't think they're going to cast Fassbender as a shy high schooler :p

I don't really have any particular expectations for this movie, so at worst it's going to prove me right, and at best it's going to pleasantly surprise me.

Captcha: bonus points

...if they manage to portray the Assassin/Templar feud with shades of grey instead of black and white.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
I would like to see this do well actually. I think the narrative of Assassin's Creed can be interesting.

But the thing that really piques my interest...

As well as Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft has movies planned for its Far Cry, Rabbids, Watch Dogs, SPLINTER CELL, and Ghost Recon franchises.
SPLINTER CELL MOVIE.

Do it right you bastards, or I'll come back and haunt you.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
We need Psychic Taco to make a story about how Ubisoft insists they crank the movie out in six months and have four sequels planned by the time it premiers.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Madame_Lawliet said:
I have a certain disgust for properties that are manufactured with the assumption that they will be massively successful without doing anything that actually warrants the viewer's interest.

Cough*Destiny*cough

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, Ubisoft insists on giving to its games the "cinematic experience". Let's see how well AC fares in actual cinema.