The Furby Channels Star Wars With New "Furbacca" Toy

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Furby Channels Star Wars With New "Furbacca" Toy

[Vine=OPuXBdIvA0i]
Hasbro will release the "Furbacca" in Fall 2015 for $79.99.

There are a lot of things I get nostalgic about when it comes to my childhood. Video games, toys, TV shows; I could spend hours discussing the awesome things I loved from back in the day. If there's one thing I don't get all warm and fuzzy about though, it's the Furby. Even during the height of their initial popularity I thought these things were creepy. When I discovered, in turn, that they'd re-emerged in the mid-2000s, a little part of me died inside. Really <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hasbro>Hasbro? I asked. This is what you choose to resurrect?

In Fall 2015, the toy company will take the brand one step further. Hoping to capitalize on the release of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20the%20force%20awakens?os=star+wars+the+force+awakens>Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Hasbro will be releasing a special Furby modeled after everyone's favorite co-pilot: Chewbacca. The new Furby, dubbed Furbacca by its creators, will speak Wookie, hum Star Wars music and display animated X-Wings and Star Destroyers in its eyes depending on its mood. It will also be compatible with a downloadable app that owners can use to interact with it via their favored mobile devices. The Furbacca will require four "AA" batteries and retail for $79.99.

Setting aside the fact that 80 bucks is way more than I could ever imagine spending on something like this, I still just find this thing to be really freaking creepy. It's funny because, generally speaking, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars is one of those things that can make just about anything better for me. If the franchise were a spice it'd be the one I sprinkled over a really bad meal to salvage it. Even with its Wookie-makeover though, this little bugger just makes me want to look away. What do you think? Would you like to take a Furbacca home or does it send chills up your spine like me?

Source: Mashable

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, it's certainly not what you want sitting next to you while you play Five Nights at Freddy's, but other than that I think it's kind of cute.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
If the eyes weren't reflective it wouldn't bother me as much.
I'm having flashbacks to being a kid, about to go to sleep when a Furby starts making noise in a dark corner of the room. Adding the Imperial March and Chewbacca noises doesn't help.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Is that an Imperial Star Destroyer in its eyes near the end of the gif-loop?

Nah, that's not creepy at all.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
StewShearer said:
Even with its Wookie-makeover though, this little bugger just makes me want to look away.
"Won't you say you love me too?"

I had an ex once who, at theirs, they had a dissected and half melted furby mounted on their wall.

It was the beginning of a beautiful romance.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
It's just an extra-furry Furby with a Chubacca belt on it. Sure they added the digital sounds and the lights in the eyes (really? they couldn't just make normal eyes? they have to be LCD's with crappy rez for ships from a 1980's movie?!), but it doesn't make it more Chubacca than slapping a label saying "Made in Kashyyyk".

Captcha: Power dressing.
Yep, that sums up exactly what they're trying to do for a dated toy concept.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Might be more appealing if the sounds it made were not something akin to a goose pleading for it's life.

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
$80 for a fucking Furby? It's not like all the old ones are even broken, yet. Ever had a furby? Go dig it out of whatever dark closet corner you buried it in. I guarantee that thing's gonna wake up, regardless of how long it's been there. Most evil fucking toy ever. There should be a goddamn Furby themed haunted house, 'cuz they're the muthuhfukkin DEVIL!

Then again, in this day and age with that new happy meal mascot, one has to wonder if they are pushing all this creepy stuff intentionally, to desensitize us to the new horrors we are about to face. Illuminati and NWO confirmed!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lagslayer said:
Then again, in this day and age with that new happy meal mascot, one has to wonder if they are pushing all this creepy stuff intentionally, to desensitize us to the new horrors we are about to face. Illuminati and NWO confirmed!
My sister told me she wants one for her birthday. my wallet is weeping now. So how much of that 80dollars do you think is the name and how much actual manufacturing? id say 20dollars manufacturing costs and 60 dollars name.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Lagslayer said:
$80 for a fucking Furby? It's not like all the old ones are even broken, yet. Ever had a furby? Go dig it out of whatever dark closet corner you buried it in. I guarantee that thing's gonna wake up, regardless of how long it's been there. Most evil fucking toy ever. There should be a goddamn Furby themed haunted house, 'cuz they're the muthuhfukkin DEVIL!

I once accidentally dropped my Furby out of a fourth story window. Still worked perfectly fine.

Those things are EVIL.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I feel obliged to post here, but... I honestly have nothing to add other than "Huh. Still creepy as fuck."

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Back then they were first released, I actually kinda wanted one, but this new ones... Those freaking eyes and the seizure inducing colours, it's just WAY too much, and this thing looks like some kind of demon, burn them all I say, with fire nonetheless.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Callate said:
Well, it's certainly not what you want sitting next to you while you play Five Nights at Freddy's, but other than that I think it's kind of cute.
Well, it is -kinda- like a mini animatronic...
I hope those sounds are just the result of the footage being sped up, because I can't imagine letting something that annoying prattle on for more than a minute.

...Par for the course; it's s furby.