Constantine Finale: Farewell, You Magnificent Bastard

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Constantine Finale: Farewell, You Magnificent Bastard

"Waiting for the Man" isn't the finale Constantine deserves. But seeing Hellblazer come to life on the small screen shouldn't be missed.

Read Full Article

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The episode was fantastic. It felt disturbingly uncomfortable at times but in a good way.

The fight with Midnite was good with using a decoy sense that gun always hits from what was said in a previous episode.

The villian reveal was great

I don't know if any of the channel executives swill see this but

PLEASE GIVE US SEASON 2
I have no problem watching it on Syfy it would be my first reason to go on it in years.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
If NBC's hearts aren't completely made out of stone, this may live on somewhere else. I sincerely hope that it does, because I don't know if we will ever have a better actor than Matt Ryan to portray Constantine.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Matt Ryan worked great as Constantine but the problem is the rest of the cast just wasn't characters to get into. If it wasn't a scene with either Constantine or Papa Midnight then my interest in what was going on tended to drop off.

I think it was also going to be a really hard sell because you had to say DC to get people interested, but outside of the people that have actually read the comic books featuring Constantine most people really know nothing at all about the character. With other shows you could tease a Captain Cold or Hydra to keep people watching but it's hard to tease Constantine villains or the heroes he teams up with when most people know so little about the comic book world of Constantine.

I hope it can do well with a move to somewhere else like cable, but I can't say that I'm even the least little bit shocked it did not take off on NBC with what little it had to offer the people who didn't read the comics. It's not like The Flash where people might have seen Justice League Unlimited even if they had not read Flash comic books.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Ashley Blalock said:
Matt Ryan worked great as Constantine but the problem is the rest of the cast just wasn't characters to get into. If it wasn't a scene with either Constantine or Papa Midnight then my interest in what was going on tended to drop off.

I think it was also going to be a really hard sell because you had to say DC to get people interested, but outside of the people that have actually read the comic books featuring Constantine most people really know nothing at all about the character. With other shows you could tease a Captain Cold or Hydra to keep people watching but it's hard to tease Constantine villains or the heroes he teams up with when most people know so little about the comic book world of Constantine.

I hope it can do well with a move to somewhere else like cable, but I can't say that I'm even the least little bit shocked it did not take off on NBC with what little it had to offer the people who didn't read the comics. It's not like The Flash where people might have seen Justice League Unlimited even if they had not read Flash comic books.
Doctor Fates helm is there I would have no prob having a ep or 2.

Zatana is part of JLD and she's been in most animated shows.

Swamp Thing I want so bad...

Having them could help boost it.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Ashley Blalock said:

I think you place too much emphasis on having to have read the comics. I never did, and I found the season fantastic and hope for more.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
I am amazed how much I've enjoyed the show. I had a few doubts with the pilot, but the show kept rolling and became something I really enjoyed.
This is the same enjoyment I had with the early seasons of Supernatural. Which, is now a show I'm convinced the producers are driving into the ground so they can end it and legions of howling fan girls don't lynch them for it.
Well, here's hopin for season 2, and some more DC supernatural cameos. Personally, I'd like to see the Phantom Stranger & the Question make an appearance. Also, Alec Holland, since for a while I thought, and it could still be, the one behind the bad guys could be Anton Arcane.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Veldie said:
The episode was fantastic. It felt disturbingly uncomfortable at times but in a good way.

The fight with Midnite was good with using a decoy sense that gun always hits from what was said in a previous episode.

The villian reveal was great

I don't know if any of the channel executives swill see this but

PLEASE GIVE US SEASON 2
I have no problem watching it on Syfy it would be my first reason to go on it in years.
I am so on board moving Constantine to SyFy, if they remember to advertise it properly. I forget a lot of what's on that channel now. Except 12 Monkeys, that's a good one. Constantine at 8, 12 Monkeys at 9, that's my Friday night.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So does anyone else find it completely unbelievable about that red headed girl and how dumb she was? I don't know if they were trying to imply she was being mind controlled to play along by the other brides, because they never really said one way or the other, or she was just the dumbest girl since the history of ever. Seriously, I don't see any girl alive in today's world, even in the backwaters of Louisiana, being that dense and naive, especially since she was like 15 years old.

If it was magic mind control, fine, but they didn't actually state it definitively. And if it wasn't mind control, well, I think the girl probably should've simply been removed from the gene pool for suicidally high levels of the Stupid Gene.

Sadly the episode was very lackluster for me. I was too distracted the idiot girl to actually feel at all invested in anything else going on.

I hope it gets picked up somewhere else, as I like the show overall.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Happyninja42 said:
So does anyone else find it completely unbelievable about that red headed girl and how dumb she was? I don't know if they were trying to imply she was being mind controlled to play along by the other brides, because they never really said one way or the other, or she was just the dumbest girl since the history of ever. Seriously, I don't see any girl alive in today's world, even in the backwaters of Louisiana, being that dense and naive, especially since she was like 15 years old.

If it was magic mind control, fine, but they didn't actually state it definitively. And if it wasn't mind control, well, I think the girl probably should've simply been removed from the gene pool for suicidally high levels of the Stupid Gene.
I got the implication there was a degree of mind control. Given when she woke she couldn't remember any thing.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Bottom Line: "Waiting for the Man" isn't the finale Constantine deserved, but it's a fun episode all the same."

Yup, true. And I cannot wait for season two, be it on FX or whatever.... !
They should hurry that the Hell(blazer) up!!! ;)

NeutralStasis

Sep 23, 2014
Taking a good show and moving it to SyFy is dooming it again. All they seem to know how to do is make crappy movies anymore.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Happyninja42 said:

I got the implication there was a degree of mind control. Given when she woke she couldn't remember any thing.
Yeah, that's my issue though, they don't really make it terribly clear. They hint at it, but they don't really show any clear indication of supernaturalness going on. Usually they do that by having the person declining to go, and then suddenly stopping, going slack, or looking confused, then changing their mind. That "I don't remember how I got here" bit was really vague, as I bet she could say that about getting to the amusement park in the first place. "I don't remember how I got to this merry go round." Which was before she encountered the 3 brides. That girl sadly, didn't seem terribly bright. I riffed the episode with my friends, at the end, when the mother is cradling her returned daughter, crying with happiness. I said to my friends, as if I were the mother. "I gave birth to a brain dead idiot." Implying her tears were of misery at birthing such a suicidally stupid girl. xD