I Can't Stop Playing Hand of Fate

Encaen

May 6, 2005
I Can't Stop Playing Hand of Fate

If you've never heard of Hand of Fate, join the club, and get into the best action-RPG that wasn't quite.

Read Full Article

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Looks really interesting, thanks for providing the kickstarter video, I hope it comes to PS4, I'm really intrigued by promise of a dungeon and what inhibits it, being build by some kind of random selection of cards. I hope there's a lot of cards to boost up the variation and different scenarios.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A very interesting combination. I can see why it's got the staff all aflutter! Another of those games that makes me think "why haven't other developers done this before?", just as Path Of Exile did with its potions and trading.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Heh, bought this on GOG earlier today and it's a fun little game. Can't entirely shake the feeling that it might be tad more expensive then it should be, but that might be due to the fact that my computer overheated while playing it earlier and I'm still mildly annoyed even if it wasn't the games fault.(More to do with my broken PC fan and being in Florida than the game)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
DayDark said:
Looks really interesting, thanks for providing the kickstarter video, I hope it comes to PS4, I'm really intrigued by promise of a dungeon and what inhibits it, being build by some kind of random selection of cards. I hope there's a lot of cards to boost up the variation and different scenarios.
It's on PS4 too. 20 bucks on the PSN store.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Any plans for a last gen release? Still rocking a 360 for the next 12 months or so.

Mordaith

Mar 29, 2011
It's on steam right now, -20% off. Very much worth it. Woke up extra early before work to squeeze in some more play time. Which begs the question, why am I here right now.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Just picked this up on GOG, never heard of it before reading this.

The concept seems excellent, can't wait to try it out.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
I've had this on my wishlist for a good while now just waiting for the bugs and such to be fixed.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Demagogue said:
I've had this on my wishlist for a good while now just waiting for the bugs and such to be fixed.
They claim they are working on fixing the bugs starting today :)

[tweet t='https://twitter.com/DefiantDev/status/567883247922737152']

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
s0osleepie said:
Demagogue said:
They claim they are working on fixing the bugs starting today :)

[tweet t='https://twitter.com/DefiantDev/status/567883247922737152']
Awesome thanks! That's great to hear.

Although, I'll also add that normally a game should do its bug fixes before releasing. A buggy release is a surefire way to get a lot of negative press on release, which hurts sales overall. I actually picked it up this morning after Josh's review and checking some more of the steam reviews. a 95% rating over 600+ reviews is enough of a convincer for me that they've got most of the major things fixed for PC.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Demagogue said:
Awesome thanks! That's great to hear.

Although, I'll also add that normally a game should do its bug fixes before releasing. A buggy release is a surefire way to get a lot of negative press on release, which hurts sales overall. I actually picked it up this morning after Josh's review and checking some more of the steam reviews. a 95% rating over 600+ reviews is enough of a convincer for me that they've got most of the major things fixed for PC.
The PC version is definitely WAY less buggy than the console version. I assume that is because they can patch it easier there and needed to get the console version out the door sooner in order to release at the same time. They are also very responsive to community feedback, and if that's your thing, there is a great community presence on the PC. Either way, normally bugs like this are a deal breaker for me, but I loved the game so much, I still can't help but continue to play through them and recommend the game.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
s0osleepie said:
The PC version is definitely WAY less buggy than the console version. I assume that is because they can patch it easier there and needed to get the console version out the door sooner in order to release at the same time. They are also very responsive to community feedback, and if that's your thing, there is a great community presence on the PC. Either way, normally bugs like this are a deal breaker for me, but I loved the game so much, I still can't help but continue to play through them and recommend the game.
Thanks again!

PS - You guys totally need a "Thanks" or something button so that instead of making a post to simply say than you, we can push that button.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
It looks interesting. Is it similar to Kingdom hearts chain of memories? Or is the deck aspect more like stats and equipment? Also GoG or Steam?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
This game is strangely addicting. I love the Dealer, he has this understated sinister tone about him. Makes me want to see if we learn more about him.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
I've been playing Hand of Fate on PC for a while now and have run into almost no bugs, and what few i have run into were rather easy to work around and i know NOTHING of computers. So there is that.

BUT BY THE GODS, THE MAKER, AND (INSERT HOLY ENTITY #3), PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only is it simply fun, intriguing, and utterly unique in style, it tells a story in way unlike any other. The Dealer in the game gives you all the dialogue and i have never wanted a character in a video game to just keep talking, like i do with this character. He comments on everything marvelously, it never get's annoying, and what he says to you immediately begins to capture your imagination like reading a great book.

You see it appears in the game that you, the player character, are reliving past adventures in your life. You seem to not remember them nor why you are here at the table with the dealer, playing this game. Yet each card contains a story, a relevance that starts to tie together the further you make it into the game. Like a fortune teller slowly making you remember all the deeds of your past, leading you to learn some lesson you have yet to learn in life, or death as i feel inclined to believe. It is all utterly captivating. Like sitting one on one in a card game with a friend. It feels exactly like that, put into video game format.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
It looks interesting. Is it similar to Kingdom hearts chain of memories? Or is the deck aspect more like stats and equipment? Also GoG or Steam?
It is available through both, though i would suggest steam. The deck aspect is actually part items and what you may run across as a reward, but mostly the very "dungeon" level layout itself. you build a deck of cards that will become your "possible encounters" as the dealer puts them randomly in a dungeon layout and you move your piece card by card, experiencing in part the story you lay out for yourself, and in part the cards you have to put into your deck knowing they may be negative in your run. It feels and truly is customizable, but never lets you make it too easy for yourself, in a good way.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
lordloss217 said:
could there be a possibility that hand of fate being ported to the vita?
According to their PlayStation blog post here there are plans in the works from the beginning to bring the game to the Vita.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
As someone who's currently playing Sunless Sea, I can see myself REALLY getting into this game.