Homeworld Remastered Goes 4K in New Cinematics Trailer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Homeworld Remastered Goes 4K in New Cinematics Trailer

A new trailer has been released showcasing two 4K resolution cinematic sequences from Gearbox's Homeworld Remastered Collection.

While gamers were obviously expecting the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/homeworld%20remastered?os=homeworld+remastered>Homeworld Remastered Collection to look good, it's nonetheless been surprising just how attractive released footage has shown the finished game to be. Especially in the case of Homeworld 1, the improved visuals look as though they'll transform the aging classic into something that could very easily pass for a brand new game instead of a re-release from 1999. As if to drive that home a mere five days from the collection's release, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gearbox%20software?os=gearbox+software>Gearbox Software has put out a new 4K resolution trailer showcasing a pair of cinematic sequences from the remastered version of Homeworld 1.

The first of these comes from the game's second mission: Outskirts of Kharak System. Beginning with the discovery of a destroyed exploration ship, the bulk of the sequence follows a squadron of Turanic Raider strike craft as they zip and dodge through a cluster of asteroids on their way to attack the Kushan Mothership. The second featured cinema scene comes from the beginning portion of The Gardens of Kadesh mission where the player's forces accidentally encroach on an alien holy site and earn the ire of its protectors.

The catch here, of course, is that the footage's high resolution won't really matter much if your display can't handle 4K. That said, it's still nice to see more video emerge from the game, especially when it helps to further showcase the impressiveness of the visual updates that's been applied to the classic games. The Homeworld Remastered Collection is set to release next week on February 25th.

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQKUbrq32c>Gearbox Software

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
The new artstyle will take a little getting used too but that's to be expected. Once I get over the whole "but it's different to how I imagined it" syndrome I can't wait to see what my favourite looking game becomes in HD.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Umm, hmm. Nice textures. Thought they would have done more, though. Like maybe have the swarmers launch properly instead of just clipping right out of their ship...

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Was anyone else a bit... 'underwhelmed' by this trailer? I mean sure what's there looks really nice, but, I mean, there's not really much actually there

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Have you played the original game? This is exactly the same but with better models and graphics. There's not much explosions and things going one perhaps because the tone of the game was always a bit more sober than what you currently get in trailers, or they're just trying to emphasize the "uuuhhh....pretty" aspect of it all.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
What strikes me the most is just the reminder that Homeworld had some of the best sound design in any game ever, ever-ever.

small

Aug 5, 2014
oh now thats my homeworld. im looking forward to trying ou the new UI not to mention from other game play videos your ships take damage visually which is a nice touch

The

Jan 24, 2012
Does anyone recommend this game for newcomers, or is it more designed with previous players in mind?

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
The said:
Does anyone recommend this game for newcomers, or is it more designed with previous players in mind?
My understanding is it designed using the same level of control as it originally did. So both really we had to learn to use it when it originally came out.

Temporal_distortion

Nov 29, 2013
The said:
I highly recommend it.
Preordered this remaster the day it was put up.

there's a slight control learning curve, but at the end of the day it's quite simply the best strategic realtime space game(s) out there

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
The said:
I could handle it as a child (I would have been around 14 at the time) so I'm fairly sure most people will be able to handle this version, especially if the UI's been improved.

I'm not sure if I'll get it, but I do remember the first game as one that actually made me feel all the feelings. By the end I actually felt both sad and happy at the same time.

It has a really good story, as far as I can recall.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The said:
I highly recommend it. I played it when I was maybe 20? Maybe younger, I bought it randomly at Wal-mart at like 2 am, because I was restless and wanted a new game. It was one of the best games of my life. Loved it.

The mechanics are very easy to understand and use, and it's a very engrossing game.

Highly recommend it for anyone.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
The said:
You get basically the complete story with Homeworld 1 and 2, only Cataclysm is missing, but that was a separate story, and published by a different publisher, Gearbox doesn't have the rights for it.

As for the controls, the emphasis is not so much on the fine micro like you'd see in StarCraft for instance, instead the game has rather intelligent systems to make larger scale control easier. You can Drag-Select attack orders for instance, which given that ships can move in full 3D, is almost essential to have any accurate control at all. Groups of ships can be ordered into formations with a single click, and will keep pace with each other if ordered around like this. In all, this game should be a challenging experience for newcomers and experienced RTS players alike.

Extremely highly recommended.
These games are some of the best story driven RTS you'll ever have the pleasure of playing (though they're by no means easy, the Gardens of Kadesh from the trailer is a notoriously hard mission for instance). They re-rendered the cutscenes at better resolutions, re-mastered the audio from the original studio audio, or even re-hired the original voice actors to redo lines from the game. The end result is a remastering as it should be done, taking nothing away from the original, only improving upon it.

They ported both games to an improved version of the Homeworld 2 engine, so you get higher detail models and textures, support for modern resolutions, and the biggest oddities from Homeworld 1's UI are gone. Promising to make it a great experience.
And in multiplayer (which will be in Beta at launch), for the first time, you can play as any of the 4 factions from both games against each other.