What if League of Legends Was Released in The 90s?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
What if League of Legends Was Released in The 90s?

This fan commercial imagines what things would have been like if League of Legends was a couple decades early.

So apparently this month everyone decided that League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139669-STRAFE-is-The-1996-Style-Hyper-Violent-FPS-We-Deserve]. Check it out to the right.

It has everything a 90s video game commercial needs. Edgy lightning effects? Check. Calling someone a nerd? Check. Mom and dad "not understanding"? Check. You'd swear it was the real deal, and Rizen's little touches, such as giving the whole thing that "old VHS feel" and the game being on a thousand floppy disks, really make it pop.

There's also a few punches pulled at League's... less than friendly player-base. It's a neat little video that fans of the game should appreciate.

Now, if only these guys would do more "90s-ified" video game commercials...

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHMeboN0G8]

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Awww, I was hoping we'd also get to see how the game would have looked with prerendered sprites, a muddy colour palette and unnecessary amounts of gore.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It could of been more polish but none the less an accurate version how it could of been (lol with the installment).

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Nope! 2,773 floppy discs, actually!

"Version Name: LoLInstaller
File Size: 3.9GB
Latest Update: 13 Feb 2015"

"You would need 711 1.44 MB floppy disks to equal 1 Gigabyte"

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It would be laggy as hell since they would mostly be on dial up and the graphics would look like crap.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Obbi said:
League of Legends in the 90's? Did you mean Aeon of Strife?
That's the exact thing I was thinking of!
I saw the article title and thought it was going to be something about that. But nope.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Darks63 said:
It would be laggy as hell since they would mostly be on dial up and the graphics would look like crap.
You'd be surprised. Used to play eight-player games of Warcraft 2 over dial-up, and it was totally playable.

Granted, they optimized netcode better back in the day...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Darks63 said:
I used to play StarCraft on dial-up and at least the game paused for both player's games to catch up when there was too much lag going on.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
LoL in the '90s: Can you imagine all the cheat-codes needed to unlock all the characters and skins?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Darks63 said:
90's games tended to actually optimize for dial up seeing as it was that or nothing. There was tons of stuff back then that was plenty playable over a 56k modem.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'd be full price, no microtransaction nonsense, and DLC would be free between expansions

frankgamershow

Feb 24, 2015
This seriously reminded me of the old children's drink ads from the 90's (like Capri Sun and Sunny D). That was so nostalgic.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I predict it would have just as toxic of a community as it does now. I know not everyone in it is like that but after playing a few matches and dealing with some terrible people I decided to never play it again. Good commercial. Love the whole 1,000 floppy disk installation may take days part.