Disney Rebooting Ducktales in 2017

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Disney Rebooting Ducktales in 2017

Disney has ordered a new Ducktales TV series it intends to launch on its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/disney%20xd?os=disney+xd>Disney XD channel in 2017.

While <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/disney>Disney in the early 1990s created an entire lineup of afternoon cartoons, one of the earliest and most memorable was Ducktales. Following the treasure hunting escapades of Scrooge McDuck and his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie, it transported audiences to exotic locales where its cast invariably wound up embroiled in exciting adventures. Spawning <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127172-Capcom-Giving-Away-Ducktales-Remastered-Press-Kits>a classic video game and probably <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJrjb91pW4>the catchiest theme song to ever grace a cartoon, its remembered by many as one of the best animated series that Disney ever produced. Now,an entirely new generation of viewers will be given the chance to experience the series and its charms.

Or, in the least, they'll get to experience a reboot. The new series, set to start in 2017, was announced by Disney today for its satellite television channel Disney XD. The show, like the original, will focus on Scrooge McDuck and the shenanigans that he and his nephews get into. Unlike the old series however, Donald Duck will be joining in as a regular cast member. Fans can also expect the return of characters like Duckworth, Launchpad, Gyro Gearloose, Flintheart Glomgold, Magica DeSpell, the Beagle Boys, Mrs. Beakley and (sigh) Webbigail.

According to Marc Buhaj, senior vice president of programming at Disney XD, the new series will strive to emulate the "spirit" of the original. "DuckTales' has a special place in Disney's TV animation history, it drew its inspiration from Disney Legend Carl Barks' comic books and through its storytelling and artistic showmanship, set an enduring standard for animated entertainment that connects with both kids and adults," he said. "Our new series will bring that same energy and adventurous spirit to a new generation."

While I'd suggest that the original Duck Tales still holds up well enough that we don't need a new one (just play some reruns!), I'm not entirely opposed to Disney investing in a new series. In fact, I'd actually love to see the company revisit more of its 1990s cartoon shows. Tailspin, Darkwing Duck, freaking Gargoyles; it produced some solid shows during that decade that we sadly haven't seen much of in the years since. Did you watch Ducktales back when it first aired? If so, what do you think of this reboot announcement? Are you excited or do you think it'll be a duck-fail?

Source: Deadline

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Ha! Yes! A favorite cartoons from my childhood. Let's hope it can make the transition into current television. Put Alex Hirsch in charge, Disney! He used some similar character archetypes in Gravity Falls to great effect.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've been recently loving every minute of Gravity Falls, so yeah, I have faith that Disney can pull this off. Reboot Gargoyles while you're at it Disney.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Hmmmmm... I wonder if this is a good or bad idea..

may I direct everyone attention to Disney trying to... re introduce classic characters to a modern audience?

I also fear, the voice of Scrooge we have come to love, Alan Young, is already 95 years old. They can always replace him but it's always an awkward affair.

I'm not going to completely turn my nose up to this, but so often when companies try to bring back an old series with a "modern twist" it looses most of it's magic that made it special when we were young. I'm just not going to get too excited until I've seen something from it, a full episode perhaps.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"While I'd suggest that the original Duck Tales still holds up well enough that we don't need a new one (just play some reruns!)"

Yeah, just... this. Flipping reboots!!!

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Boooo Reboots, Yah reruns. But seriously what they need to do is finish releasing the rest of the episodes to DVD or stream them on Netflix. If you look up most of the old Disney cartoons they have a habit of not releasing all the episodes on DVD's. So annoying.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
INeedAName said:
Ha! Yes! A favorite cartoons from my childhood. Let's hope it can make the transition into current television. Put Alex Hirsch in charge, Disney! He used some similar character archetypes in Gravity Falls to great effect.
*USES* he USES. Gravity Falls is still going on, and I'd rather they not take him off that to remake Duck Tales, or split his focus between the two. Those gaps between episodes? I don't think I could take them being made even longer.

OT: It's an in-house brand, so here's hoping it gets to stay on a while. They've been doing consistently great work with animated series, but they keep canceling anything new. I miss Motor City and Tron: Uprising, and I'm just scared that even if this is good, they'll pull it after one season.

Never mentioned my captcha before but damn it, this one's too meta. "hard captcha is hard". They may be annoying, but at least the guy who's writing them is having some fun with it.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
Not one "Ducktales reboot? Woohoo!" in the entire article. You should be ashamed of yourself. ATTN, @Archon, this man deserves a stern lecturing.

Also, I'm okay with this :D Quite happy, in fact. Hope it turns out okay. I'd love for a new generation of kids to fall in love with the show as well.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
ccggenius12 said:
INeedAName said:
*USES* he USES. Gravity Falls is still going on, and I'd rather they not take him off that to remake Duck Tales, or split his focus between the two. Those gaps between episodes? I don't think I could take them being made even longer.

OT: It's an in-house brand, so here's hoping it gets to stay on a while. They've been doing consistently great work with animated series, but they keep canceling anything new. I miss Motor City and Tron: Uprising, and I'm just scared that even if this is good, they'll pull it after one season.

Never mentioned my captcha before but damn it, this one's too meta. "hard captcha is hard". They may be annoying, but at least the guy who's writing them is having some fun with it.
Admittedly, yes, Gravity Falls is still ongoing. However, considering its recent pace, I think the series is nearing its end. I have read (I don't remember exactly where) that Hirsch plan for Gravity Falls to be AT MOST three seasons or two seasons and a movie, so he'll probably need a new project in the not-too-distant future. Why not stay on the same network?

Also, when I said that he "used" those character archetypes, I meant he carved the very enjoyable characters of Gravity Falls from them in the creation process.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think the idea of making more Ducktales is just fantastic. But why on earth do they have to "reboot" it? Just start making a new show. We all know who the characters are. There is no edgy origin to retell. And if need be the old show hold up just fine to spin alongside in reruns. Just start telling more tales of Duckberg. It's a Disney cartoon, not bloody Marvel comics. Continuity beyond the character level is not what people are looking for. If you want more Donald, put Donald in it. If you want no Gizmoduck then simply don't tell any stories with him. But stop pointlessly rebooting things. Please.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As nice was it would be to have more Ducktales... why couldn't they just show reruns? And if it takes off again, they could bring back shows like Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck?

I would so love to have the old shows back... especially considering that all Disney seems to care about with their channels is pandering to goddamned tweens and removing almost all their good cartoons.

...Sorry, I'm just bitter.

Not to say that Disney doesn't have good cartoons on now (like Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls, for instance), I'm just pissed that shows like Motorcity and Tron Uprising barely got a chance. Why can't they bring those shows back?!

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I'll put my opinion on hold until I find out how they are going to animate it. I very much hope they'll bring out the old-school animation style again. They ARE still as good at it as ever - check out recent short 'Get a Horse', initially shown in theaters as a preface to 'Frost', for an example.

Let's face it - if only they're committed enough to put in THAT kind of effort, there's bound to be hope for the writing and direction as well!

Yeah, I don't know if I could stand the sight of a CG Scrooge. Just wouldn't look right.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this. There are so many ways this could fail, but if it doesn't the payoff could be huge. If it works they could also bring back the other classic cartoons. I would personally love to see Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers make a return.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
I can't help but think that these people are just scrounging around the nostalgia vaults trying to find something memorable for the 20-30 something year-olds to gawk at and reminisce about, at best they will try and turn their kids onto it. This just really feels like their trying capitalize on cartoons like transformers, MLP, and TMNT; sure they're just trying to sell merchandise but these cartoons can still hold up on their own.

What can Ducktales do? Be like the "Looney Tunes Show" and have it set in the modern era with modern problems?

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Reboot in this case probably just means we'll get an episode or two introducing the characters, some of them are a little more obscure than Donald Duck and the kids might not know them that well. At least I hope so, it'd be a shame if they changed the show to point of it losing its charm.

Anyway, there's really only one thing left to say about this: DuckTales! Whooohooo!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
if this gets me a reboot of Gargoyles ill support the hell out of it. Actually im very surprised they didn't reboot Gargoyles first as it would be far easier to do(I believe most of its voice cast is still alive)

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This could end in a trainwreck, but I guess we'll see what the show's going to actually look like first before I judge it.

Gravity Falls singlehandedly reignited my hope for modern animation and Disney TV animated shows. If a show like that could pop up on Disney Channel or Disney XD these days, then I'm willing to believe a reboot of Ducktales could succeed.

But they goddamn better bring back the theme song.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
As much as I love the idea of more Ducktales, and I keep hearing about Darkwing and Gargoyles (aka the Star Trek voice acting camp), I am sad that no one has even mentioned my favourite: Gummi Bears!!!!!

I want me some Gummi Berry Juice

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ldude893 said:
This could end in a trainwreck, but I guess we'll see what the show's going to actually look like first before I judge it.

Gravity Falls singlehandedly reignited my hope for modern animation and Disney TV animated shows. If a show like that could pop up on Disney Channel or Disney XD these days, then I'm willing to believe a reboot of Ducktales could succeed.

But they goddamn better bring back the theme song.
First off, your avatar is from my favorite Simpsons episode.

Second, Adventure Time did the same for me. Hell CN just been doing great as well. I hope Disney starts doing the same thing. I hear good things about Star vs the Forces of Evil.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
dragongit said:
Hmmmmm... I wonder if this is a good or bad idea..

I also fear, the voice of Scrooge we have come to love, Alan Young, is already 95 years old. They can always replace him but it's always an awkward affair.

I'm not going to completely turn my nose up to this, but so often when companies try to bring back an old series with a "modern twist" it looses most of it's magic that made it special when we were young. I'm just not going to get too excited until I've seen something from it, a full episode perhaps.
Oh, wow. That 7D thing looks really bad... Just saying.....

But yes, I agree I think that we should eye the reboot with a great deal of trepidation. And is Alan Young REALLY that old at this point? Good god. Somehow, I think he is retired.

I used to LOVE the old show. And I still regularly go on Youtube and watch the following video quite regularly: