Castle Wolfenstein Returns In The New Order's Standalone Prequel

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Castle Wolfenstein Returns In The New Order's Standalone Prequel

MachineGames' Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone prequel taking us back to where the series began - the iconic Castle Wolfenstein.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9301-Wolfenstein-The-New-Order>Wolfenstein: The New Order was one of 2014's most talked about games, taking the violent, pulpy fun of World War II shooters into an alternate history storyline. The end result <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11468-Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-Review-I-Know-What-I-Reich>was lots of fun - but was there a tiny part of you wishing you could spend more time fighting Nazis during the iconic 1940s? If so, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - a standalone prequel taking us back to the series roots - should be right up your alley.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is set in 1946, when the Nazis are on the brink of victory in The New Order's alternate timeline. In a last-ditch effort to turn the tide, series hero B.J. Blazkowicz accepts a mission to locate General Deathshead's fortress - the coordinates of which are believed to be within Bavaria's Nazi-occupied Castle Wolfenstein.

"Diving back into the world of Wolfenstein has really been fun for us," MachineGames executive producer Jerk Gustafsson said. "We've enjoyed exploring the events leading up to The New Order. We think fans will really enjoy the story, all the action and, of course, jumping back into the combat with new weapons."

The gameplay trailer itself looks exciting enough, but long-time Wolfenstein fans are probably experiencing a nostalgic thrill right now. The Old Blood doesn't just revisit Castle Wolfenstein, it also mimicks <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D>Wolfenstein 3D's episodic story with a two-part mission structure. Part 1, "Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves" sends Blazkowicz to Castle Wolfenstein to find the coordinates to General Deathshead's fortress. Part 2, "The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs", pits Blazkowicz against a Nazi archeologist exhuming dark and powerful artifacts. Based on the last few seconds of the trailer, that evil power might be <a href=http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Mutant>an updated version of Wolfenstein 3D's zombie units.

[gallery=3880]

What's more, we don't have long to wait for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood at all - it launches digitally on May 5 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One platforms. Even better, the price tag is $20, a respectable price for anyone seeking Nazi-fighting action. Expect to see more trailers and gameplay footage very soon, especially with PAX East right around the corner.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's kind of hard for me to get pumped for a game whose scenario has you fighting towards an inevitable victory by the Nazis, honestly.

It might be a terrific game- The New Order certainly had a lot to like about it- but I have to confess my patience with gratuitous grimdark is stretching a little thin.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I have a feeling TotalBiscuit is going to be really giddy when he hears about this. He praised The New Order to heaven and back so getting more of it at a reasonable price would be right up his alley.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Helga Von Schabbs. Yup, this is a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I desperately want to see a zombie nazi riding a mecha T-Rex suit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Looking very promising, it doesnt seem to have a lot of character development (I really liked it a lot in New Order) but looks good either way

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
I can't remember the last time a game trailer - or any trailer, for that matter - just had me grinning gleefully the whole way through. And this is coming from someone who still has yet to play The New Order or any of the other Wolfenstein games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh my God! The hype is real.

The only thing that could have possibly stopped The New Order from being my GOTY in 2014 was Bayonetta 2 (which it did), there's nothing standing in the way of this prequel as far as I can see.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Awesome, took me ages to get round to buying - and even longer to get round to completing - the New Order, but it was a really enjoyable game. Looking forward to picking this one up, and launching at a pretty cheap price point too is just icing on the cake!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dat cheap price... It's making me very nervous...

Charcharo said:
Actually...
This is more of a callback to Return to Castle Wolfenstein from 2001, not Wolfenstein 3D...
At least design and gameplay-wise.

Am I the only one here that played it?
But yeah. RTCW, guys. Not Wolf3D. Which was rather underrated IMAO. Also, Enemy Territory was awesome.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Charcharo said:
Actually...
This is more of a callback to Return to Castle Wolfenstein from 2001, not Wolfenstein 3D...
At least design and gameplay-wise.

Am I the only one here that played it?
I thought that too and I enjoyed RTCW when it came out. Never did play the 2010 Wolfenstein.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
SupahGamuh said:
Helga Von Schabbs. Yup, this is a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I desperately want to see a zombie nazi riding a mecha T-Rex suit.
Not that I'm complaining but it seems wierd considering TNO is already a sequel to RTCW considering you're still fighting Deathshead.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
holy cow looks awesome, i really want to play this and new order, but at 60 buckaroos, damn, im not made out of money

20 dollars is more reasonable, hopefully it delivers an experience worth that much