Steam Machine Pricing Revealed - From $459 to $4,999

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Steam Machine Pricing Revealed - From $459 to $4,999

There's a Steam Machine for every type of gamer in every type of budget.

The full list of Steam Machines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/steam+controller] that will be available at launch, listing their manufacturers, system specs, and prices. The launch wave of Steam Machines will retail from anywhere between $459 and $4,999, meaning there is a machine for any budget.

The cheapest Steam Machine is the iBuyPower SBX [http://store.steampowered.com/app/353460/], for $459, and comes with an AMD Athlon™ X4 840, ATI Radeon™ R7 250X 1GB GDDR5, 4GB Ram and a 500 GB hard disk. It's a pretty comparable price to what a PS4 or Xbox One will set you back, with comparable, if not better, specs.

Middle-of-the-road type Steam Machines like the Maingear DRIFT [http://store.steampowered.com/app/353410/] ($849) come with specs that completely blow "next-gen" consoles out of the water, like Core i7 Processors, Nvidia Geforce® GTX 980s, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB Solid State Drives.

Finally, for the man with more money than sense, the top-of-the-line beast-mode Steam Machines like the fully-upgraded Falcon Northwest Tiki Steam Machine [http://store.steampowered.com/app/353500/] (both $4,999) come with crazy stuff like Core i7 4790Ks, triple SLI Titans, 32 GB of RAM and up to 14 TB of storage.

Of course, all of the Steam Machines will come packaged with a Steam Controller, but if you'd like to purchase additional controllers, you can do so for $49.99 a piece [http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370].

Do any of these Steam Machines tickle your fancy? Personally, I'm content with just plugging my gaming PC into my TV via a really long HDMI cable, and using an Xbox 360 controller, but I can see how some console gamers looking to convert to the "PC gaming master race" may see the appeal of these all-in-one media center solutions.

Source: Valve [http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines]

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
Do any of these Steam Machines tickle your fancy?
A few, possibly. Depends on my future needs, the needs of my family, friends, and associates, and how minimal the pre-installed software packages are.

Customization options will also be a factor.

Personally, I'm content with just plugging my gaming PC into my TV via a really long HDMI cable, and using an Xbox 360 controller, but I can see how some console gamers looking to convert to the "PC gaming master race" may see the appeal of these all-in-one media center solutions.
That's great and all, but what about those who are looking to build a new PC? What of those who are looking to upgrade or supplement their current rig? What about those who want as minimal hassle as possible in jumping into PC gaming?

The Steam Machines offer a solution to these people.

As for the 360 controller: I can't wait to replace it. I have never liked the thing, it's uncomfortable in my hands, and the hardware itself is disgustingly cheap (and cheaply made) for what they charge for it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm still wondering whether there's a real advantage, outside of convenience and brand recognition, to these things over a PC you can pick and choose the parts for (maybe even let it get assembled for you). I still don't fully get them, as console gamers will just...stick to consoles, won't they? It sure is cheaper. And so is picking out your own PC.

Now, I like these things in concept. A gaming PC I can just put in my living room easily, as I prefer to game with a controller anyway but prefer the greater PC library, sounds great but letting my own Steam box get assembled seems to be a cheaper solution. These brand deals are, well, just that.

Also, $50 for a controller? Sheesh.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I'll admit to some rather profound doubts about the viability of the platform, but I suppose I could be wrong. Or at least pessimistic.

At a price point on average significantly above existing current-gen console offerings from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, a less-cohesive marketing strategy, and what is arguably an existing user base that has functionally zero need for the product in question... It seems rather unlikely that they'll have much, if any, market penetration by this time next year.

PC gamers already have PCs, can build a better machine for cheaper, and already know how to wire the damn thing up to their television. Console gamers are already committed to a platform, really, and a more-expensive machine to play the same games on (that they'll have to buy all over again) isn't likely a huge priority for them. And if history has shown us anything, it's that parents, come the holidays, are almost certainly not going to be spending their money on the most expensive, least-advertised entry into what is arguably the console market.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
For a second I thought it was implying the drift would have a i7 gtx 980 and 512 ssd for 849. Was wondering what kinda witchcraft was going on. That said I'll never get a steam machine cause there's not really a need for one. Yay a branded PC... I'll just keep mine and if steam OS is the bees knees i'll load that onto it.

IF someone was looking into PC gaming I wouldn't even recommend it.
I wouldn't even recommend it to console brethren. Yes your new steam machine is more powerful than a ps4 "well why won't it run the witcher 3 everything just like jerks around" Maybe try it without ubersampling and HBAO and aa32 and the Ultra texture resolution. "blank stare"

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
TheSYLOH said:
Am I the only one who thinks that logo looks like the Brotherhood of Nod?
Nope, totally with you there. PEACE THROUGH POWER!

OT: I like, I like...now to see what the prices are in £, because they look reasonably priced and I know they won't be when they fucking convert to pounds from monopoly money. An Nvidia GTX 980 is $685 in the UK, compared to the $399 in the states. and is almost the cost of the entire Maingear Drift. I'm expecting the prices to skyrocket in the UK.

Cowabungaa said:
Also, $50 for a controller? Sheesh.
Y'know, I'm pretty sure the US has the cheapest games, consoles/components and periphrials. Try $70 for a controller.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
TheSYLOH said:
Am I the only one who thinks that logo looks like the Brotherhood of Nod?
You are not the only one. I thought the same thing when I saw the news article. :)

These machines do look promising for people who don't already own a gaming rig. If nothing else, it could expand PC gaming to folks who previously thought it was too complicated or who might have been afraid of trying something new. I hope these find some success for that market. Good luck Steam Machine!

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Ummmm. No.

Look I know valve is valve and they've had the golden touch when it comes to selling us things we usually hate like Steam as DRM and free to play games. But this is missing the point of a console that the specs are equal across the board and so you can rely on every console running the same game equally (though to be fair some CONSOLES are forgetting this point too). Sure you can have a slim or expanded hard drive version but to have such a HUGE range of prices will just divide your new burgeoning playerbase.

If you're aiming for the PC crowd then they won't be happy about not being able to upgrade it yourself and if you're aiming for the console crowd, just remember how poorly the PS3 started with it's high price point and the infamous "599 US dollars" E3 reveal.

But then maybe the launch title will be an exclusive half life 3 and then we'll be forced to buy one.

I dunno, I'm just feeling like the entire market at the moment is like it was in the 90's where everyone wanted to bring out their own console to compete only to forget that affordability and games will often exceed specs and branding in terms of how well a system sells.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Roboshi said:
Ummmm. No.

Look I know valve is valve and they've had the golden touch when it comes to selling us things we usually hate like Steam as DRM and free to play games. But this is missing the point of a console that the specs are equal across the board and so you can rely on every console running the same game equally (though to be fair some CONSOLES are forgetting this point too). Sure you can have a slim or expanded hard drive version but to have such a HUGE range of prices will just divide your new burgeoning playerbase.

If you're aiming for the PC crowd then they won't be happy about not being able to upgrade it yourself and if you're aiming for the console crowd, just remember how poorly the PS3 started with it's high price point and the infamous "599 US dollars" E3 reveal.

But then maybe the launch title will be an exclusive half life 3 and then we'll be forced to buy one.

I dunno, I'm just feeling like the entire market at the moment is like it was in the 90's where everyone wanted to bring out their own console to compete only to forget that affordability and games will often exceed specs and branding in terms of how well a system sells.
It's not a console though and that's not what it's supposed to be. You can upgrade it yourself. The high end models are for enthusiasts, and the lower models are to draw people into PC gaming, not be an alternative console. Heck the lowest one is a little cheaper than a console yet has better specs.

Fact is, the hardware needs to be at least better than a current console to draw some people in, and they can't sell it for cheaper than that because they need to make money (unlike Sony where the PS3/4 was a massive money hole), and PC gaming does require a slightly more expensive initial investment, which provides you with a more future proof machine, which is upgradable, will perform better, and pays for itself after just a few game purchases(Steam sales and games are cheaper anyway).

Consoles are not only more expensive for what you get, but the games are too(£10 or £20 in some cases), and you've got no chance of anything approaching a steam sale on the console. Not only that you need to subscribe to XBL or PSN if you want to play online too.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Who in their right mind would drop 5k on this this? If you're going to drop that kind of dough you might as well build a machine yourself.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Steam is my primary platform for gaming, I've got a massive game library, and I still can't think of a single reason I'd buy this. If it were $100, maybe, but I can't justify that kind of money when I, essentially, already have two. I hope they didn't dump a lot of money into this.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Roboshi said:
But this is missing the point of a console that the specs are equal across the board and so you can rely on every console running the same game equally (though to be fair some CONSOLES are forgetting this point too).
Steam machines aren't, nor have they ever been, touted as consoles. They're pre-built PC's running Steam OS (so dedicated gaming machines essentially) with the intent on taking a lot of the guesswork out of it for people that just want a gaming PC but don't know shit about gaming PC's.

Sure you can have a slim or expanded hard drive version but to have such a HUGE range of prices will just divide your new burgeoning playerbase.
Again, dividing the player base isn't an issue because they're not consoles. And the huge range of prices is because you can get anything from entry level gaming PC to multiple graphics card power house.

If you're aiming for the PC crowd then they won't be happy about not being able to upgrade it yourself
Several of them are upgradable for those that want that feature. Again, it's part of the point of them being gaming PC's and not consoles.

and if you're aiming for the console crowd, just remember how poorly the PS3 started with it's high price point and the infamous "599 US dollars" E3 reveal.
Good thing they're not. And the PS3 still sold better in it's first months than the 360 did a year before just as a little factoid for the day.

Not a console so launch titles are mostly irrelevant. You can still slap windows on these if you want and games will undoubtedly be ported to Steam OS now that there's a Linux distro with half a hope of gaining major traction with gamers.

That's because you've completely missed the point of what the Steam Machines are I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with being misinformed of course. Unless someone willfully stays that way anyway. XD

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ukomba said:
Steam is my primary platform for gaming, I've got a massive game library, and I still can't think of a single reason I'd buy this. If it were $100, maybe, but I can't justify that kind of money when I, essentially, already have two. I hope they didn't dump a lot of money into this.
The money they've spent is in Steam OS, and for the prospect of a gaming focused Linux distro that might actually catch on I'd say it's money well spent. As for the machines, I doubt Valve pays these companies anything whereas they probably pay Valve to be able to use the Steam Machine name. And all of them are built using pre-existing hardware (custom cases not withstanding) so compared to the money that goes into developing a console, these would have cost basically nothing by comparison.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I still have 500$ left from my tax refund. I'm not sure if I should blow it all on this, or just get more games with it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I don't think Valve quite understands how consoles work. I can't see people plonking down for a system that is more expensive than what Sony/MS/Nintendo are offering at the bare minimum. If you're going to spend this much ya might as well get a console which can also get you a few games or peripherals for the price difference. At best this'll be niche, at worst Valve is in for a rude awakening.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Some of those mid range machines look right up my alley. If I could get one of those for gaming and then just take a cheaper laptop for my schoolwork that would be ideal.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'd like to get one, I'm looking for a small form factor upgrade to me laptop.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think I'll just run an HDMI cable, save myself a few hundred bucks.

More titles are being released for the Steam OS, but not enough to justify even a $500 console.