8 of the Best Videogame Boss Battles

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Best Videogame Boss Battles

There have been some amazing boss battles throughout the history of gaming, and these eight are some of our community's favorites.

Read Full Article

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
Oh wow!! Thanks so much [user]ffronw[/user] for picking my thread for Gallery of the Day!!
That totally made my day and everything!! :D
I thought the thread was lot of fun, too. Kudos to you and the meat popsicle!

P.S. I enjoyed the Sorrow a whole bunch more. Maybe it's because I was horrible at the sniping.

EDIT: I guess it helps that The End can have one of the more hilarious easter egg deaths, though.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I'm going to throw in the Doomsday Zone from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The first time I saw that zone with my sister, we just about screamed in excitement. That was pure awesome on the Genesis.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was worried for a minute that no Metroid bosses would turn up. Quadraxis has to be one of the more intimidating bosses in the series, especially when you enter the room and it's just keeled over in the centre.

Meta Ridley from the first Prime was my fave boss in the series though, possibly ever.

Caramel Frappe said:
With that, the cycle continues until you best The End and the fight is over, yet kind of sad. I felt like he deserved to be on this list :)
I always cheated and assassinated him at the first opportunity, three shots from the SVD as his sleeping bonce is being wheeled away, just look out for the flying wheelchair after he explodes.

Then it's GRU Operatives from Ocelot instead of the End, hunting them is a lot of fun plus they don't turn up later if you kill them all then.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
WW Ganondorf is definitely the best Ganondorf, but I really like the Demise fight in SS.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Dang. I gotta finish Wind Waker already.

Yes, it's my least favorite 3D Zelda, except for maybe Ocarina. Their dungeons are just too slow for my taste, I guess.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
I need to play WW too :( I started a game on my friend's old 'cube and it died on me, only made it past the first dungeon/pirate cave thing. Don't have a wiiU or I'd get the remastered version, that one looks pretty sick.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Personally, I really enjoyed fighting Doviculus in Brütal Legend.
Great banter from Tim Curry and hearing Judas Priest's Painkiller blasting during the battle certainly pushed it far up the epic scale.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
To even begin you must reforge a broken legendary blade. Which is used to split open a mountain in your way. Next is the castle where the boss is, giving you a full view of it along with bats and full moon.

More than 100 enemies stand in your way, along with 3 boss fights and several traps and tricks. You'll have to come prepared or your supplies can quickly dry up.

Then you get to the boss room and the music cuts. You slowly walk forward and flames light up along the path. Soon enough you get to the boss and exchange words. Soon, the music starts up and you can hear the wind. "The black wind begins to blow..." And the fight is on.

I am of course describing the boss fight with Magus from Chrono Trigger. The fight had such build up to it, a feeling of "Yeah I'm going to beat this guy!" The last few hours have been building up to punching this guy in the face and when you get to him, Magus is no pushover. He'll pull out AoE spells, keep changing his defensive barrier to spells, and slap the party with a HP loss effect that can't be purged. Magus just screams out high tier boss fight to me and continues to be a favorite of mine.

Kinda sad he(and most RPG bosses) didn't make the list.