Is The Definitive Edition of DmC Worth The Price?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Frames Per Second isn't graphics. It's gameplay.
The misconception that FPS is purely superficial is the reason companies like Ubisoft are able to lie about its importance and sacrifice FPS for improved visuals and get away with it.

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Is The Definitive Edition of DmC Worth The Price?

DmC: Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition is a remaster that comes with a visual upgrade for PS4 and Xbox One consoles. Is it worth the $40 when you can get the original for $20?

Read Full Article

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Huh. Guess PC version won't be getting a patch with those gameplay upgrades like targetable Stinger. The way it handles is so annoying.

BTW They should have called it DmC: Devil May Cry: Definitive Master Correction or something so we can have DMCx3

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
The original release was not worth full price, so I can't see myself purchasing a copy of this 'Definitive Edition' until it reaches a suitably low price point.

CrossGuard

Mar 8, 2015
Capcom and NT did good by not shitting on the main audience for once (unlike several media outlets in the past), and this game now actually seems worthwhile if you're really itching for a decent beat 'em up game.

Having said that, I'm much more interested in hearing about DMC4:SE.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
So... are any of these changes coming to PC? Because I'm holding out for a PC copy which is actually complete, and the graphical changes are irrelevant in that case.

On a side note, this is pissing me off. It's awesome that upgrades are being implemented into HD versions of games, but the fact that they aren't being put in the PC version is fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind if they upgrades were a bit of DLC, but the fact that they are usually released as an entirely new games really irritates me. The Scholar of the First Sin is doing it, and my best guess is that DMC will be doing it too.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I wouldnt be completely against purchasing that.

Problem is, it doesnt seem to be coming to PC.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
This actually sounds acceptable.On the other hand, if the DMC:4 re-release they have in the wings sells better than this one, hopefully they'll wise up and fix things for the next game in the series, so I think I'll just wait, and maybe pick this up pre-owned

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
No, it isn't. Why? Because even after doing the basic things they should have done in the first place the game never rises above being mediocre. The real question is this: what can I play besides this? Well, there's Metal Gear Rising, The DMC: HD Collection, DMC4, God of War, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, and if you have a Wii U there's Bayonetta 1 and 2 as well as the Wonderful 101. Those are titles with more interesting enemy, fighting, level, weapon, and game design with a lot more flair and are just a lot more fun to play. Heck, at the very least hold your money for DMC4: Special Edition. There's no point in rewarding mediocrity like Ninja Theory's efforts when it's bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of the hack and slash genre. It also doesn't help that NT have made themselves out to be insufferable pricks who think they're God's gift to mankind with storytelling when in fact they've shown nothing but complete ineptitude in that area.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I loved this game to the point where I might consider buying this... I always liked the series, and I don't really see why everyone was so upset about it. The series as it was, was getting a bit tired honestly. The characters were a little different but you could feel how they might turn into the older characters in the future. I really would be interested to see a sequel if they did one. Is the story stupid? Absolutely! Sniper Rifle abortion? yeah that was a bit of a weird direction, but I didn't feel so weird about it in context, but then again I grew up on south park and worse, and I'm just not offended by creativity in this regard.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
They removed Vergil's fedora, gave him a terrible reason for killing an unborn fetus, and censored some of the terribad dialogue. It's good for a laugh if anything!

But in all honesty, just wait for the superior DMC4 Special Edition featuring Vergil from the Devil May Cry Series... you know, a game that's gameplay was great upon release.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JagermanXcell said:
They removed Vergil's fedora, gave him a terrible reason for killing an unborn fetus, and censored some of the terribad dialogue. It's good for a laugh if anything!

But in all honesty, just wait for the superior DMC4 Special Edition featuring Vergil from the Devil May Cry Series... you know, a game that's gameplay was great upon release.
It's funny how NT laughed at criticism and told people to chill...but then caved in and did what they should have done in the first place. NT, when you get down to it, are just pathetic as a developer. They're not creative, they're not professional, and now they're forced to compromise on what they claimed was artistic vision because nobody bought their game. Though we all know this version isn't going to sell worth a damn so it seems to me like all that was accomplished was a waste of time, effort, and money. And NT doesn't seem to get it. THis is best exemplified in how they make excuses after every failure; Heavenly Sword flops and it's because it was a PS4 exclusive. Enslaved flops and it's CLEARLY because it's a new IP. Their attempt at a DMC reboot flops and now they're trying to self-publish some other piece of junk on the PS4. What excuse are they gonna make when that flops? I have never seen a dev make so many excuses.

Kameburger said:
I loved this game to the point where I might consider buying this... I always liked the series, and I don't really see why everyone was so upset about it. The series as it was, was getting a bit tired honestly.
Except everyone knows that's a lie; DMC4 was by far the most successful, financially, critically, and creatively. I still hold it as the benchmark for stylish action games and it had so many places to go with Dante handing off the torch to Nero. NT's efforts on the other hand are just stale. Rote, by-the-numbers junk that any amateur could make, and then is brought down further by a puerile script, unlikable characters, and junk design that impedes the player in the most obnoxious ways possible. And that was reinforced by the game bombing and becoming the least successful DMC in the series, not even reaching half of DMC4's numbers.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Aiddon said:
What excuse are they gonna make when that flops? I have never seen a dev make so many excuses.
None, because once the numbers roll in and this flops, that's it. NT is done. It's pretty much been written in stone as of this day that DMC4 SE will be the money maker in this gamble Capcom is taking to see which direction DMC will go (countless other forums/old fans who grew up with DMC4 whom are hyped and ready to pay up for whatever the new version has to offer).

Honestly we shouldn't be bagging on DmC anymore, because DMC5 might as well be greenlit thanks to it's failure!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JagermanXcell said:
None, because once the numbers roll in and this flops, that's it. NT is done. It's pretty much been written in stone as of this day that DMC4 SE will be the money maker in this gamble Capcom is taking to see which direction DMC will go (countless other forums/old fans who grew up with DMC4 whom are hyped and ready to pay up for whatever the new version has to offer).

Honestly we shouldn't be bagging on DmC anymore, because DMC5 might as well be greenlit thanks to it's failure!
Oh they'll make excuses because that's what they've always done. My only guess is that they'll blame gamers as a whole next time because that's the last excuse they have. After the PR nightmare NT and Tam Tam created in the lead up to reboot attempt (seriously, Tam Tam's Twitter was just one juvenile tantrum after another as the weeks rolled on) I doubt anyone wants to work with them anymore. Now with DMC4: SE coming out and CAPCOM clearly even adding new content to it (the teaser was a brand new cinematic) it's safe to say that weird stage in the series' history is dead much like how the X-Men films wiped X Men 3 and Origins: Wolverine out of existence

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Aiddon said:
JagermanXcell said:

It's funny how NT laughed at criticism and told people to chill...but then caved in and did what they should have done in the first place. NT, when you get down to it, are just pathetic as a developer. They're not creative, they're not professional, and now they're forced to compromise on what they claimed was artistic vision because nobody bought their game. Though we all know this version isn't going to sell worth a damn so it seems to me like all that was accomplished was a waste of time, effort, and money. And NT doesn't seem to get it. THis is best exemplified in how they make excuses after every failure; Heavenly Sword flops and it's because it was a PS4 exclusive. Enslaved flops and it's CLEARLY because it's a new IP. Their attempt at a DMC reboot flops and now they're trying to self-publish some other piece of junk on the PS4. What excuse are they gonna make when that flops? I have never seen a dev make so many excuses.

Kameburger said:
I loved this game to the point where I might consider buying this... I always liked the series, and I don't really see why everyone was so upset about it. The series as it was, was getting a bit tired honestly.
Except everyone knows that's a lie; DMC4 was by far the most successful, financially, critically, and creatively. I still hold it as the benchmark for stylish action games and it had so many places to go with Dante handing off the torch to Nero. NT's efforts on the other hand are just stale. Rote, by-the-numbers junk that any amateur could make, and then is brought down further by a puerile script, unlikable characters, and junk design that impedes the player in the most obnoxious ways possible. And that was reinforced by the game bombing and becoming the least successful DMC in the series, not even reaching half of DMC4's numbers.
Is that right? Lol my memory is a bit hazy but I seemed to remember a lot of people hating on 4. But on the other hand you may be right in that regard. But I strongly disagree that it wasn't well made. It may have been poorly written I don't think anyone would fight you on that but that was quite a fun game. Visually awesome, controlled great and was really shows very few cracks gameplay wise. I can't remember any bugs in particular and the ending was pretty alright. I mean I see why earlier dmc fans are upset and maybe it's a bad dmc game but bad game is a bit harsh.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Kameburger said:
Is that right? Lol my memory is a bit hazy but I seemed to remember a lot of people hating on 4. But on the other hand you may be right in that regard. But I strongly disagree that it wasn't well made. It may have been poorly written I don't think anyone would fight you on that but that was quite a fun game. Visually awesome, controlled great and was really shows very few cracks gameplay wise. I can't remember any bugs in particular and the ending was pretty alright. I mean I see why earlier dmc fans are upset and maybe it's a bad dmc game but bad game is a bit harsh.
No, it was a mediocre game at best and it selling the worst out of all the entries reinforced that. How people are more excited for DMC4: SE than this game's Definitive Edition speaks volumes. The game SUCKED; it has lousy weapon design, boring enemies with little strategy involved, moves at half-speed until NT was forced to speed it up for the Definitive Edition, and has at best half the depth and breadth of DMC4 (which is played in tournaments to this day). Wearing kid gloves with a mediocre game is not going to somehow turn it good. There's no point in defending a cynically made piece of junk, especially when it's bottom of the barrel in the hack and slash genre. There was no point in buying the game when it came out due to the existence of games like Bayonetta, DMCs 3 and 4, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, and the God of War series and the competition has only become more intense with titles like Metal Gear Rising, The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2. It will forever be remembered as the time when CAPCOM had an aneurysm and handed off a great series to a hack developer like NT. No need to try and act like it was good.