All-Male Ghostbusters Film is in The Works

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
All-Male Ghostbusters Film is in The Works

Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd want to turn Ghostbusters into a full-blown franchise for Sony.

Ghostbusters fans were excited, but perhaps a little confused to learn that the series would be seeing a revival... featuring an all-female cast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139617-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Cast-Has-Been-Chosen]. The good news is that the Ghostbusters revival train isn't just stopping with the all-female reboot, as Sony plans to turn Ghostbusters into a full-blown franchise, and has already announced a second, male-led film is already in the works.

"We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment," director Ivan Reitman told Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/].

"This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig's film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He's got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come," he continued.

Reitman, along with Ghostbusters co-star Dan Aykroyd, will be heading the newly formed "GhostCorps" studio at Sony. "My primary focus will be to build the Ghostbusters into the universe it always promised it might become. The original film is beloved, as is the cast, and we hope to create films we will continue to love," he said.

As for the casting in the second male-let film, Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce with the hope for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters himself.

Drew Pearce, who wrote Iron Man 3 and Mission Impossible 5, is said to be writing the new movie.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh my God. That is such a cheap marketing gimmick.

Fucking hell Hollywood, will you ever stop pandering to the Reddit MRAs?

Enough is enough.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah this feels like a cheap rush designed to take the place of their failed Spiderman franchise. Such a shame too, Ghostbusters deserved better than this.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Zhukov said:

Enough is enough.
They'll stop pandering to the MRAs the same time they stop pandering to internet feminists (*cough* all-female reboot *cough*)

But you're right this needs to stop. In-universe, this means that the Ghostbusters company is a sex-segregated workplace - in [b/]2015[/b]. That's some serious unfortunate implications (that also apply to Hollywood).

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Zhukov said:

Enough is enough.
Bravo, you had me for a second there.

OT: Ghostbusters has been dead for over a decade. The game was a flop (or it would have had 4 sequels by now), and with new actors it's just silly Ghost Hunters. Why the sudden interest?

Somekindofgold

Feb 24, 2015
God this is funny, I just cant stop laughing. Dan Ackroyd, with this piece of news you have made tumblr and twitter explode in rage, and I love you for that.

As for the numerous people who will no doubt complain about this (and are already complaining about it on social media and sites like i09), this is what you wanted people, this is equality. An all female movie, and an all male movie, its everything you ever wanted. Of course this hinges on the belief you really wanted equality and arent just fighting to push men down as much as possible nowdays.

For the people concerned for the future of Ghostbusters, just sit back and enjoy the ride. The movie industry is busy digging up corpses to violate for a few extra bucks and they finally dug up the Ghostbusters grave. You cannot do anything about it except laugh or go insane as you watch your favorite childhood franchises be ruined.

I suggest laughing.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
So, it's exactly the same as the first one?
News flash: For some sad reason, "All male teams" are seen as a default in Hollywood.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
The best possible outcome with no downside in sight would be to take the two movies, half the script and cast of each, and cram them into one single creation. It would be perfect.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
All these revivals of old franchises sound like something we want, until we actually get it and find out why we like the original in the first place.

I wish people would learn that not every property can be turned into a sequel factory. Some stories lend themselves well to an expanded canon, others do not. The idea of expanding upon the Ghostbusters universe sounds like some kind of joke.

Eh, not that I really care one way or another. I never really had all that much affection for the Ghostbusters in the first place, so there's not much they can ruin.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"All Male Ghostbuster film in the works"

Okay, I laughed. What? I'm a sucker for callback humor.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I kind of would have really liked to see a movie that has both men and women in it. It's like they are going all separate but equal on the genders now.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Depends on the cast and script.

The all female movie already failed on the casting part, lets see how this one handles that

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ugh. I was fine with the female Ghostbusters. That was all we needed. But this talk of more spin off films, TV shows and merchandising is like running into a field full of brick walls while blind folded. Sony's already hit a few of them even before Ghostbusters was dusted off.

Can you wait, Sony, and see what the turnout is for the movie you're about to finish, first? Please, don't go past pre-production for the next movie until you know how well the 2016 movie will do. I'd hate to see people already Ghostbustered-out just 2 years after the cinematic revival of the series.

(Also, can't we have a Luigi's Mansion crossover game, before making a third Ghostbuster team?)

ki11joyace

Nov 16, 2014
Zhukov said:

Enough is enough.
I'm an MRA and I demand 50 Shades of Grey be recast to represent me :p

(Put Karen Straughan as the lead.)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It will never be good without the original people involved. I'm tired of all these forced remakes, reboots, revisits and sequels

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
So... no mixed gender team then? Shot I was thinking a new take on XGB (Extreme Ghost Busters: Garrett, Kylie, Eduardo & Roland)could happen down the line.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
You know, it seems like latley everything that's "Going to be a franchise" bombs horribly. Hollywood either has just horrible predictions or people are starting to avoid things out of spite. seriously how many films have been declared "the start of a frnachise" months before they open only to bomb on opening day.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sony is so fucking incompetent. People used to say we needed another gaming crash, but I think I'd prefer Hollywood to jump first.