Breaking Bad Creator To Fans: Stop Throwing Pizza On The Roof

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Breaking Bad Creator To Fans: Stop Throwing Pizza On The Roof

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul creator Vince Gilligan doesn't think fans throwing pizza on "Walter White's" roof are clever. At all.

We need to talk, my fellow geeks and fans. We all have these beloved moments from our favorite series that we love to recreate in funny and clever ways - I totally get it. But there's a point where it's no longer funny or even appropriate, and throwing pizza on the roof of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/breaking%20bad?os=breaking+bad>Breaking Bad house crosses that line. Maybe you thought you were the first person to think of it? Well you're not - it's happening constantly, to the point that it irritates the family who really lives there while generally getting on Vince Gilligan's nerves.

"They're throwing pizzas on roofs and stuff like that," Gilligan said on the latest <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12954-Better-Call-Saul-Season-1-Premiere-Episode-1-Review>Better Call Saul Insider Podcast. "Let me tell you: There is nothing funny or original or cool about throwing pizzas on this lady's roof. It is just not funny. It's been done before. You're not the first."

If you're not a Breaking Bad viewer, this might require an explanation. In the Season 3 episode "Caballo Sin Nombre", Walter White returns home with pizza to reconcile with his wife Skylar. When this doesn't go the way old Heisenberg plans, he flips out and throws the pizza in a rage, and it lands on the roof. It's one of the funnier and more ridiculous moments in the series - but it gets less funny and more ridiculous when fans track down the real-world house with pizzas of their own.

You see, this Alburquerque house isn't a film set - <a href=https://roadtrippers.com/us/albuquerque-nm/points-of-interest/walter-whites-house>it's where a real family has lived for 41 years, and now has to deal with visitors driving by, taking pictures, and throwing pizzas on the freaking roof. I mean, who do you think has to clean those up? Somebody from the cleaning crew? No, it's the actual family members who have to go up there with a ladder before animals tear into them.

Look, I get that it seems like a clever idea. But even <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131750-Breaking-Bads-Mike-Ehrmantraut-Returns-for-Better-Call-Saul>Jonathan "Mike" Banks is threatening to come after people who try it. "If I catch you doing it, I will hunt you down," <a href=http://mashable.com/2015/03/11/breaking-bad-pizza-house/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link>he warned in the same podcast. Do you really want Mike to quietly appear in your home one day? Over pizza? Come on, think this through.

Besides - and this is the crucial point here - it's an absolute waste of a pizza.

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsGuajqkIY>Better Call Saul Insider Podcast, via <a href=http://www.avclub.com/article/vince-gilligan-says-quit-throwing-pizzas-roof-brea-216436>AV Club

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Wow, some people. That's really sad.

I'm impressed to hear the owners have been there for 41 years though. That's cool.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Seems you've got a problem there, better call Saul.

But seriously, who drives to such a location just to waste a whole pizza on a joke like that? I don't know which makes me more mad, how unfunny it is, or the fact that good pizza was lost for no reason.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So it looks like TV does inspire people to do stupid shit. Not murder but still...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Wow is that stupid. I'd imagine that if idiots keep doing this they might be able to get police to constantly monitor the area so as to detour/catch anyone wanting to do this.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
erttheking said:
So it looks like TV does inspire people to do stupid shit. Not murder but still...
I think the people who would do something like this would already be doing stupid shit otherwise, and this type of thing only allows them to channel that stupidity.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I just... I don't even... Who the hell sees a rooftop and considers throwing a pizza on it to be the best possible action they could take!?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
At this point, the owners should just get a metal pizza and throw it up there in homage to the series. That way, it will look already pizza'd, and people would be less inclined to vandalize decorate the home.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Signa said:
41 years.

Baron von Blitztank said:
I just... I don't even... Who the hell sees a rooftop and considers throwing a pizza on it to be the best possible action they could take!?
Frat boys. Frat boys and heretics.

OT: They should make whoever tries that get the ladder, climb up, pour Tabasco all over the pizza and eat it off the roof with a plastic knife and fork - the cheapest and cruddiest that can be found.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Now, don't get me wrong, these people are assholes and it's a stupid prank at that.

That said, this is what happens when you use real locations to film, surely it's not super surprising.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
People are absolute idiots.

At what point did they stop realizing that an act of vandalism is an act of vandalism because they saw it on TV? Is this not exactly what we DON'T want, people conflating entertainment with reality? Ugh.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
That poor poor pizza.

Just give it to me.
Why waste it? XD

But seriously, this is really dumb. It's not funny, and you're messing with people's lives just because they let their house be used in a TV series.
Silly people...

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Hah!

I find this hilarious, even though it's really stupid. But seriously though, they are wasting pizzas, which is never a good thing.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Signa said:
At this point, the owners should just get a metal pizza and throw it up there in homage to the series. That way, it will look already pizza'd, and people would be less inclined to vandalize decorate the home.
This.

Sadly, it was an awesome little Easter Egg on a very incredible and popular T.V. show. It's going to happen, because to the people doing it, it's not vandalism, it's a lovely homage to a great T.V. show.

I get it's annoying, but it's like Jim said about Twitter; you don't consider how many people there are, so when you send a Tweet to a e-celeb, odds are you're the 1000th person to have said it and it's not funny anymore.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, no.

Waste of Pizza, not that funny a joke in the first place.

2/10. Might have been funny the very first time but that first time was a long time ago at this point.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
At least its less heinous than going into the meth lab business, so a step up for the dumbest Breaking Bad fans.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
I'm a bit surprised at how upset everyone in this thread seems to be.

Sure, it's stupid and annoying for the family who lives there - but it's not the huge issue some in this thread are making it out to be. I'm sure those who threw the pizzas didn't know it happend so often, and I'm equally sure they'll stop now that they know it's disturbing the owners.

Give them a break.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
awesomeClaw said:

Sure, it's stupid and annoying for the family who lives there - but it's not the huge issue some in this thread are making it out to be. I'm sure those who threw the pizzas didn't know it happend so often, and I'm equally sure they'll stop now that they know it's disturbing the owners.

Give them a break.
Really though. They actually committed a crime. It is called vandalization of property. That is when you break, dump trash on or deface someone elses property without their permission.

It is diferent when it is something generally accepted such as kids tossing shit during halloween. These however are grown people vandalizing someone elses property because of a damn tv show.

If I lived in that house I'd be furious.

I will not give them a break.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Seraj33 said:
awesomeClaw said:

Give them a break.
Really though. They actually committed a crime. It is called vandalization of property. That is when you break, dump trash on or deface someone elses property without their permission.

It is diferent when it is something generally accepted such as kids tossing shit during halloween. These however are grown people vandalizing someone elses property because of a damn tv show.

If I lived in that house I'd be furious.

I will not give them a break.
Give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they didn't know the house actually had owners who lived there? Or they didn't know it happend as often as it did.

People sometimes do stupid things because they think it might be funny. I agree, this is bad. But it's not swatting, and it's not breaking a window.

They put a piece of food on a roof, as a joke. Dumb? Yes. Worthy of getting outraged over? No.

And how do you know they're grown people? They might be 15 for all you know.