8 Movie-Based Video Games that Don't Suck

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Movie-Based Video Games that Don't Suck

While games based on movies tend to be average at best, these eight break that mold by being awesome.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Why...oh lordi, why have i not played ghostbusters?! This must be amended at the very next possible moment it can!

I would like to add recent additions such as Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor to the list, if butcher bay can make it ;)
Do you know if there is a video-game equivilent of an Uwe Boll lurking about, making terrible games based on movies they loved, but no one ever stops them because no one ever remembers their travesties?

Dat face, dat goldeneye henchman face though...is absolute comedy gold.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Great list, though I wish there was also Wanted: Weapons of Fate. It was a really cool cover-based shooter, and while quite short, it felt like the movie through and through and actually served as it's sequel. When the rumored second movie finally comes out, it'll actually be a sequel to the game...not the movie.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
... Nice list ;)

Enter the Matrix was another one I quite enjoyed for what it was, maybe it suffered a little from being a tie-in, but as far as being an honest attempt at making a good one I think it succeeds fairly well, although many might question the wisdom of taking content away from the movies and putting it into a completely separate game many will never play... But those same people or at least a fair few others tend to criticise the movie anyway even without adding that as a factor.

Maybe they should try it and see if it improves their disposition toward said movie if they haven't already that is.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait, what's the deal with no 'not PC' classic love?

THE LION KING.

SUPER STAR WARS Series.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

This game was THE Wolverine videogame. It had damage modeling to show all the brutal damage you took then could watch as Logan regenerates his body back. The moveset was ridiculous fun, and you got to ride a full-size Sentinel into orbit as you ripped it apart from its legs up to its face, then to walk away after it crashes back down into the Earth. That scene in Terminator: Genisys where Arnold dives headfirst into a helicopter? Wolverine did that before it was cool.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Man, this article makes me want to boot up the warriors game again, that shit was fun as hell

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Remus said:

This game was THE Wolverine videogame. It had damage modeling to show all the brutal damage you took then could watch as Logan regenerates his body back. The moveset was ridiculous fun, and you got to ride a full-size Sentinel into orbit as you ripped it apart from its legs up to its face, then to walk away after it crashes back down into the Earth. That scene in Terminator: Genisys where Arnold dives headfirst into a helicopter? Wolverine did that before it was cool.
The game's only flaw is having to fight Notpool at the end. It was a horribly executed mess where half the combos you had learned were either glitchy, or didn't work at all.

Star Trek Armada 2 was fun.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Could you ammend the Spiderman 2, because there is a PC version which is ... different.

Edit: I mean, label it as the console version

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Oh man, I need to fire up the PS2 and play some Spider-man 2!

I can't really say "WHAT A GREAT GAME!". It was honestly pretty busted in most respects. But that swinging, oh man was it fun. Probably one of my favorite games ever. Weird considering I just kinda called it a hot mess, but that's life. :)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I know I've had over ten years for both, but I still need to play Tron 2.0 and Riddick. Tron: Evolution was so disappointing (and I have the PS3 version, GFWL apparently really screwed up another game), I don't know why I didn't immediately hunt down a copy of 2.0. At least, Steam has it now.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Remus said:

I was wondering why he didn't mention this one, that game was so much fun. And yes, the damage modeling was just incredible.

You can also put that one under the category of "movie based games that are way better than the movie they're based on".

darthxaos

Feb 24, 2015
How does this list leave out the single greatest accomplishment in movie based gaming, the X-Wing series, especially TF and XWA?

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
So the lesson I learned by reading this list was that you're not allowed to make a movie tie in game until atleast 10 years after the film debuts.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Speed Racer I found to be half decent stuff o3o A little limited in some ways, but still a good bit of fun

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Why...oh lordi, why have i not played ghostbusters?! This must be amended at the very next possible moment it can!

I would like to add recent additions such as Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor to the list, if butcher bay can make it ;)
Do you know if there is a video-game equivilent of an Uwe Boll lurking about, making terrible games based on movies they loved, but no one ever stops them because no one ever remembers their travesties?

Dat face, dat goldeneye henchman face though...is absolute comedy gold.
Because, no matter what this gallery says, Ghostbusters was fucking garbage. It is the only game ever that i didn't even finish the tutorial missions before i withdrew it from the console in disgust.

Maybe.. jsut maybe... the story was hilarious enough if you get past the god awful controls and fit inducing light show of indecipherable mess, but just.. ugh. Bad.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
darthxaos said:
How does this list leave out the single greatest accomplishment in movie based gaming, the X-Wing series, especially TF and XWA?
Probably because those games didn't really follow the storylines of the films they're based on. Outstanding games, just not 'games based on the movie' games.

Full marks for using a screenshot in Goldeneye that shows one of many things that I've never seen since: some guards were left handed in Goldeneye.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Honourable mention for this one:

Damn cool survival-esque adventure/shooter game. You don't see movie games done all that often, and you especially don't see cross-genre movie games done well very often. But King Kong was definitely one of them. Kicking T-Rex ass was fun, but especially the first person gameplay was very very well done.
CaitSeith said:
I remember the Blade Runner game. Two words: exploding dog.
I never knew it existed, I must now totally acquire and play it as I adore myself some Blade Runner.