Facebook Accidentally Leaks Android "Phone" App

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Facebook Accidentally Leaks Android "Phone" App

Facebook may be stepping up its telecommunications game with a "Phone" mobile app - which was accidentally leaked to Android users last week.

Social media giant Facebook might have an even greater smartphone presence with an app called "Phone", as Android customers recently discovered. Last Friday, several Facebook for Android users received an invite to "Try Phone [FB-only]", with all links heading to blank pages. Now that the invite has disappeared, it's suspected that someone at Facebook hit the wrong switch and revealed the Phone app too early - prompting suggestions that Facebook wants to be a bigger part of your daily communications.

A lot of the conversation around Phone is speculation at this point - at least until Facebook offers an official statement. At a base level, screenshots advertise Phone as a simple dialer, or "a new app that shows info about who's calling and automatically blocks calls from commonly blocked numbers". That's fairly similar to the Whitepages Caller ID app, but the Facebook connection implies a host of additional features.

For example, Phone could potentially use Facebook data to display a callers social media info, giving you a better idea of who's reaching you. It could also block callers from your own Facebook block lists. The real question is how much Phone will coordinate with your mobile carrier voice network, which would give Facebook a much greater connection to your day-to-day communications.

As it stands, Facebook is hosting the F8 Developer's Conference in San Francisco this week - meaning we could have an official announcement by Wednesday or Thursday.

Source: Android Police, via <a href=http://www.tomsguide.com/us/facebook-leaks-phone-app,news-20689.html>Tom's Guide

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This actually sounds like a superb idea. A real enhancement to what's currently offered.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Considering what a.. ...fornication up the last attempt Facebook made to do anything with regards to phone technology was. I'm doubtful this will work any better.

For one thing its either going to be dependant on people attaching their phone numbers to their facebook account - limiting this services use since it can only deal with people who have done that. Or they will have a system by which people who use this new application can list who it was who just called them - giving that number to facebook without the permission of the owner of that number.

Given that the second option lets facebook build up a database of people's phone numbers - and an incomplete call history - for people who aren't even members of their service... ..yeh, that'll be the one they'll want.

Personally I use my phone so little these days, as a phone anyway, that this souldn't impact me. However, I have zero faith that facebook - in possession of my phone number thanks to some random person adding me to the app - won't just flog it on to advertisers.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I can still see the phone symbol on my app now, but this fills an unneeded gap anyway. Vibre does the same thing, but isn't the evil mega conglomerate we think of Facebook being.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So they're moving on from selling private information to 3rd parties and onto selling telecommunications data to 3rd parties. Cool.

I wonder how Oculus Rift integration will work with this.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Um, yeah, I really don't want a company, who's main source of revenue is selling user info seeing, my call history. I don't even use Farcebook and still don't want people I call to use it. Knowing their desire to mine data, the obsession some people have to put even detail of theirs and their friends lives in FB's database, and the occasional leak, I don't see how this benefit anyone other than owners of FB shares.

Just use a separate application and the minds ability to remember a few digits for a few minutes to block calls from the crazy ex's.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I suppose you're to be congratulated, Facebook; you've reached the point where the smug satisfaction of having nothing to do is smaller than the sheer, unrelenting terror you cause. Morally reprehensible, but an impressive achievement nonetheless.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I already had to turn auto-updates off so you guys didn't get to read my texts (Yeah, nice fucking try), and now the app just disappeared from my phone after an update. Now you want me to let you record my calls directly? Mhm, I see what you've got going here. A little spying here, a little secrecy here... And a whole lot of "we want your info for advertising!" splashed about. Thanks guys!

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Makes me wonder if they're working towards a full Android mod to be sold with phones.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
snave said:
Makes me wonder if they're working towards a full Android mod to be sold with phones.
Shh. Don't give them any ideas. I'd hate to see anyone have a phone where Zuckerberg and Co. have root access. *shivers*

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Vie said:
Considering what a.. ...fornication up the last attempt Facebook made to do anything with regards to phone technology was. I'm doubtful this will work any better.
Making a phone is not the same as making a phone app.

Considering that this is basically just an identification technology and something that blocks regularly blocked numbers then this would be hard for them to screw up. If anyone has information on people, it's facebook.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
yeah, looks like im jailbreaking my phone for the sole reason of deleting preinstalled facebook app.

automatically blocks calls from commonly blocked numbers".
ah, yes, more blocklists for the hugboxes.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
So now I'll be able to use my phone to make phonecalls? The innovative wonders of social media never cease to amaze me.

Hairless Mammoth said:
Um, yeah, I really don't want a company, who's main source of revenue is selling user info seeing, my call history.
Anyone who uses the Facebook app already gives them free access to that and much more.