Hearthstone Player Attempts 43-Hour Turn - Update

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Hearthstone Player Attempts 43-Hour Turn - Update

There Can Only Be One...Extremely Long Hearthstone Turn.

Update: Mamytwink's turn has finally come to an end at an astonishing 45 hours, or 45 hours and 18 minutes to be precise. You can watch the entire turn on Mamytwink's Twitch page [http://www.twitch.tv/mamytwink/profile/past_broadcasts], if watching 45 hours of the same shining, sparkling, repetitive Hearthstone attack floats your boat.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/how-players-pulled-off-the-longest-turn-in-hearthstone-1693635504]

Original Story:
How long was your longest Hearthstone turn? A minute or two? Bet it wasn't seven hours (and counting). Well, that's what Hearthstone player Mamytwink [http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitch.tv%2Fmamytwink&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGUZbCp92SfBc1eQQONxeMFf_Ab7g] is up to in his current attempt to take the longest turn that the game has ever seen. That's seven hours on an estimated 43 hour run, by the way.

[twitch=mamytwink]

Mamytwink's plan is as follows: Use seven Prophet Velens (in addition to a cocktail of other cards) to blast his opponent to smithereens by doubling his mage's arcane missiles. Thanks to this combination and the event that began the entire reaction (nine arcane missile cards used in one turn), he has a whopping 28,752 missiles in his arsenal, totaling at 258,768 points in damage. Take a look below at the staggering mathematics involved below.

So how is his opponent still standing? Well, by using Ice Block [http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ice_Block], of course. Ice Block essentially freezes the player's health when that player is faced with an attack that would cause fatal damage. The next question is why is Mamytwink even bothering to do this? I'm sure we know the answer is, like in all things, because he can. As of writing this, Mamytwink has left the game and stream running, but is not currently active on Twitch. All I have to say is Go, Mamytwink, Go!

For all interested parties, here's the math:

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fhearthstone-player-is-six-hours-into-attempt-at-longest-1693126341&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHvULHvZuu9fpu4hZbaAUrIYh1shA]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Hopefully he doesn't get DC'd. That would suck!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
so uh how did he get all those cards, Like how did he get that many Prophet Velens, Like you cast one copy it twice, and take three more from your opponent, that's 6, where does the 7th one come from? And how did he get 9 magic missiles in a priest deck? he could at best steal 6 from a mage deck. Which would mean he couldn't take prophet Velens from him as that's a Priest legendary.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
so uh how did he get all those cards, Like how did he get that many Prophet Velens, Like you cast one copy it twice, and take three more from your opponent, that's 6, where does the 7th one come from? And how did he get 9 magic missiles in a priest deck? he could at best steal 6 from a mage deck. Which would mean he couldn't take prophet Velens from him as that's a Priest legendary.
Presumably he used "Kezan Mystic" to steal "Duplicate" and/or "Mirror Identity" as well, I'm not really familiar with priest or mage but it seems feasible like that. "Echo of Medivh" and "Faceless Manipulator" could also help I'm sure,

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Someone's forgetting Lorewalker Cho

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
The Arcane Missile player is a Mage as shown in the video. We can assume the enemy is a Priest that stole Ice Block in some simple manner.

You can 'steal' a copy of your opponent's Velen with Mirror Entity. You could also bring your own. Duplicate allows you to get +4 copies of it into your hand. Kel-Thuzad would allow your Velens to survive the Duplicate. That's six Velens right there decently reliably.

Throw in a Echo of Medivh somewhere into that mess and you have a hand full of Velens. You probably don't even need Kel-Thuzad+Duplicate.

Also note that both players have run out of cards. Priest probably packed a ton of lifegain to keep both players alive as they assembled the ideal board state and hands.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Well.... I have to wonder if it's truly a record if he's not even AROUND.
If I walked away during a chess game when it was my move, would you not say -after some time passed- "Fuck that guy, he forfitted. I've thus won and am leaving.".

Looking at it that way, IMHO any record would require BOTH players to be present and (pretending to be) engaged with the game at all times. No bloody 15 minute breaks every 2 hours Guinness bullshit!!!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wonder if Ancient Mage could have increased this even more. Anyone know if it would stack with Velen's Chosen?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Well I'm glad that he did the algebra for it.

Captcha: done that.

If only captcha, if only...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
If I walked away during a chess game when it was my move, would you not say -after some time passed- "Fuck that guy, he forfitted. I've thus won and am leaving.".

Looking at it that way, IMHO any record would require BOTH players to be present and (pretending to be) engaged with the game at all times. No bloody 15 minute breaks every 2 hours Guinness bullshit!!!
Of course it is - it is just about the turn itself which happens currently regardless if he's there or not. He's not artifically stretching it by not doing anything at all and pausing. He couldn't do anything even if he wanted to.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
Sure...but that's nothing like what happens. Imagine you moved your chess piece but managed to do it in such a way that it required literally hours to finish moving. And let's assume that there is a rule that your opponent can only act after your pieces completely finish moving. It's not you holding it over the chess board but it literally is in motion without anybody's interference. That's what's happening here, not AFK-ing for hours.

It's not like you can LITERALLY SEE IT HAPPENING RIGHT THERE, RIGHT NOW IN THE ARTICLE STREAMED AS IT HAPPENS, HENCE ANY NOTION OF AFK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DISMISSED. Oh wait, you can. And it's currently at almost 10 and a half hours and counting. It must have been at after the 9 hour mark when you posted.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ukomba said:
I wonder if Ancient Mage could have increased this even more. Anyone know if it would stack with Velen's Chosen?
It would, but the goal wasn't to max out that damage, but rather the time it takes the game to resolve it all. And adding the Ancient Mage into the mix might complicate matters too much. I'm guessing even this was very tricky to get just right...

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:
It would, but the goal wasn't to max out that damage, but rather the time it takes the game to resolve it all. And adding the Ancient Mage into the mix might complicate matters too much. I'm guessing even this was very tricky to get just right...

Since with arcane missiles the number of missiles is equal to the damage you are going to deal, then maxing damage and maxing the time spent casting them is the same. The real reason that you wouldn't want to do that is you would lose a *2 multipler for a +2 attack damage.

example
-2 velens + 1 mage would yield : (3(base damage) + 2(added mage damage)) *2 *2= 20 damage
-3 velens yield : 3*2*2*2 = 24 damage

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
You are indeed correct, I forgot about that. However, I'm guessing they didn't opt for the Mage because he'd take up space on the board and need to be removed. It's likely less work to just use Spell Power boosting spells...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:
Since with arcane missiles the number of missiles is equal to the damage you are going to deal, then maxing damage and maxing the time spent casting them is the same. The real reason that you wouldn't want to do that is you would lose a *2 multipler for a +2 attack damage.

example
-2 velens + 1 mage would yield : (3(base damage) + 2(added mage damage)) *2 *2= 20 damage
That's true, if you have Ancient Mage instead of a Velens. I meant as part of the setup, and have it die and create more room for Velens. Or have the priest drop it to buff the velens before the Mage creates copies.

You can be sure someone is devising new ways to play this out to extend the turn and beat the record.

For example If you could get a Gurubashi Berserker with a lot of health on the priest side, every missile to hit it would take 2 to 3 times as long to fire as it activates is effect for each hit.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:

example
That's true, if you have Ancient Mage instead of a Velens. I meant as part of the setup, and have it die and create more room for Velens. Or have the priest drop it to buff the velens before the Mage creates copies.

You can be sure someone is devising new ways to play this out to extend the turn and beat the record.

For example If you could get a Gurubashi Berserker with a lot of health on the priest side, every missile to hit it would take 2 to 3 times as long to fire as it activates is effect for each hit.
The beserker need to have some ridiculously high health to mean anything worth the effort.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:

example

The beserker need to have some ridiculously high health to mean anything worth the effort.
Yup, and one of your players is a priest who has the ability to double a characters health. With a Lore Walker Cho in place you could send it's health incredibly high.

I did a quick calc yesterday and with a single Lore Walker Cho, and some basic cards, you could create a 1E+103 1E+103 Questing Adventuerer.

that's

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Pretty sure the game would crash before it got there though.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Ukomba said:
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:

example

Yup, and one of your players is a priest who has the ability to double a characters health. With a Lore Walker Cho in place you could send it's health incredibly high.

I did a quick calc yesterday and with a single Lore Walker Cho, and some basic cards, you could create a 1E+103 1E+103 Questing Adventuerer.

that's

Pretty sure the game would crash before it got there though.
Actually, the Adventurer (or any minion, for that matter) would die at around 2 billion health total due the 32bit integer rolling over, putting the health into negative.