5C Standard Elder Dragons - A Legendary Gimmick

Encaen

May 6, 2005
5C Standard Elder Dragons - A Legendary Gimmick

Brewing with all five colors presents some unique challenges, but with those come incredible opportunities.

Read Full Article

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Given the options at the moment I'm tempted to go back to the old school and run Jund. Most of the punchiest fatties are in Jund at the moment and the Dash cards will help to provide a reasonable early-game.

Then again I'm not massively in to Standard at the moment.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I do loves me some wacky deck ideas, and this one is impressive. I see some additional synergies one might consider in a fun deck like this, such as:

[mtg_card=Dragon Tempest]: Repeatable removal utility and Haste-generator for your big beasties. An instant-win if you can use Sarkhan's ultimate with it in play and you have 4-5 dragons in your deck... and they're not running [mtg_card=Deflecting Palm] (which, let's face it, nobody is).... and your opponent is a goldfish... (oh c'mon, nobody's going to let you ulti Sarkhan, whether or not you have Tempest in play.).

[mtg_card=Savage Ventmaw]: A painfully underrated Dragon... yes, it's "just" a 4/4 Flyer for 6, but that 6 extra mana every turn, can be back-breaking in the right deck. This is the right deck. It makes recasting [mtg_card=Enduring Scalelord] dramatically less painful, and/or combos beautifully with [mtg_card=Shaman of the Forgotten Ways]... in case you've ever wondered what it was like to cast a mid-combat [mtg_card=Biorhythm]. (Here's a hint: it's awesome.)

[mtg_card=Frontier Siege]: Remember what I said about extra mana? ditto here. The Dragon-fight mode isn't too shabby either, late-game (especially if you have a way to bounce or blink one of the Silumgar... which this doesn't, but is a neat idea). It's only green mana, so it's not as ridiculous in a 5C deck as mono-green or Gruul, but free mana is free mana.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Frontier Siege can be buckets of fun with Foe-Razer Regent out. Also all the more reason to include bearpunch and dragonpunch.

As a Commander player though, the Dragonlords have been somewhat disappointing. Not good candidates for being the general. Not to say they are bad or anything but hardly cards to build decks around.