Our Moon To Get A Moon? New Mission Will Drag Asteroid Into Orbit

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Our Moon To Get A Moon? New Mission Will Drag Asteroid Into Orbit

NASA has announced its new mission to put a small asteroid in orbit around the moon by 2025 - and it could help plans to explore Mars.

A little over two years ago, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121324-NASA-Considers-Dragging-Asteroids-to-the-Moon>NASA raised the possibility of putting an asteroid in orbit around the moon. Now the space agency has announced it's launching a mission to do just that. On Dec 2020, scientists will send an unmanned, solar-powered rocket into space with a single task - snatch a 13-foot boulder from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/asteroid>a nearby space rock and drag it into orbit around <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/moon>our moon. What's more, the mission isn't just to prove we can do it - it could prove invaluable for training astronauts on upcoming missions to Mars.

"It really gives us an opportunity to demonstrate capabilities we're going to need for future human missions beyond low-Earth orbit and then ultimately, to Mars," NASA associate administrator Robert Lightfoot <a href=http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0326/NASA-wants-to-orbit-a-small-asteroid-around-the-moon>told reporters. In a later statement, he added that "the option to retrieve a boulder from an asteroid will have a direct impact on planning for future human missions to deep space and begin a new era of spaceflight."

Now if you read <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121324-NASA-Considers-Dragging-Asteroids-to-the-Moon>our original 2013 story you may have noticed NASA was literally considering catching an asteroid in a bag and carting it to the moon. Sadly, that awesome plan won't be happening - the unmanned craft will grab a boulder with robotic arms instead. The new plan is estimated to be $100 million greater than the last - since bags are cheaper than robot arms - but the was ultimately chosen so NASA could test technologies essential for future planetary missions. Grabbing technologies and "soft landings", as Lightfoot put it, apparently can't be conducted using a giant sack.

Once the asteroid is in orbit around the moon, astronauts will fly to it for a secondary 2025 mission to document it and walk across its surface. Presumably that won't take long with a 13-foot boulder, and might look ridiculous with two astronauts standing on it at once. All the same, it could represent one of the biggest steps in space travel since the moon landing. The mission is projected to cost $1.25 billion plus the not-insignificant expense of actually sending a rocket into space.

Source: Fox News.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Why do they need to walk around on a 13-foot rock?

Why does it need to be orbiting the moon before they walk around on it?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah this isn't going to be happening.
With no disrespect to NASA, having a asteroid the size of a bus flying around won't enhance out knowledge of Mars or help us get to Mars.
They'll never survive the inevitable Senate sub-committee on expenses, and will get a budget of $1.50 for a Mars bar.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
For some reason I think one or bunch of the NASA scientist was playing Kerbal and put an asteroid into orbit and was like dude we should totally do that in real life.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
is that wise? i usually think asteroids should stay away from earth. we deffinitely shouldnt point one right at us.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
My knee-jerk reaction is "WTF are you thinking?!?! You're going to kill us all!" Then I remember that people had that kind of reaction when the LHC was made.

Scientists must continue to science!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
-Ezio- said:
is that wise? i usually think asteroids should stay away from earth. we deffinitely shouldnt point one right at us.
It's 13 feet across the amount that would survive atmospheric re-entry would be little it's not a threat even if all of it hit the earth.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not sure how I feel about our moon having a moon, and what's to stop Earth from stealing the asteroid, so we don't end up with two moons, the rock shooting off into space or cause it to come crashing back down?

I also know next to nothing about how space works, so if anybody can answer my question, I appreciate it.

"I just pictured the Earth screaming at the moon "What are you doing, this is my rock! I'm taking my rock and going home."

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
13 ft? What would be the gravitational force of a rock that small? Could a man stand on it without degrading its orbit? Should a larger object be used, one less affected by 80kg masses impacting its surface? And is NASA just dreaming? We haven't played around on the moon since 1972.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
-Ezio- said:
It's 13 feet across the amount that would survive atmospheric re-entry would be little it's not a threat even if all of it hit the earth.
oh. it's 13 ft? what's the point? we could probably just fly a 13 foot boulder up from earth?

reverse_rpm

Jan 8, 2014
-Ezio- said:
oh. it's 13 ft? what's the point? we could probably just fly a 13 foot boulder up from earth?
?if the mountain will not come to mahomet mahomet must go to the mountain?
That's the ideea.They bring a piece of space near Earth, to study it via direct human interaction

But the first thing on my mind, was a rocket-steered asteriod weapon of mass desturction, waiting near Earth orbit for Moscow to say something rude...

13-feet would not survive a fall through the atmosphere, right?
Right???

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Is my brain borked or is 13 feet a really small size...like, that's pretty much the equivalent of an intergalactic boogie board in the gran scheme of things.

But hey, NASA do what NASA want.

Give that moon a moon!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
What's this I am reading about walking on a 13 ft diameter rock? Has someone inventive something cool like artificial gravity or magnetic boots? Or, does NASA want to prove that Super Mario Galaxy physics exist? (It would suck if they do, but operate more on those of Mad Space, from Sonic Adventure 2.) In all seriousness, I think by "walking" they mean space walks with equipment like EMUs and the astronauts maybe just touching it with their feet for stability.

I want to know why they wish to put it in lunar obit, instead of nearer the Earth. As stated above, an asteroid that size would disappear in a brief light show if its obit decayed. Going too close does mean dealing with artificial satellites. Is the reason fuel limitations? Are they planning on getting some practice in for later exploring Phobos and Deimos? (Hint: Those aren't ideal places for teleportation experiments.)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009

We are destroying and polluting our system like there is no tomorrow!
It should be illegal, disturbing a peaceful rock going about it's vital business.
Think of the consequences, that rock could be the key to some future event as yet undreamed of!
I demand a ban on scientists!

Preserve space pristine! let kids look at stars tomorrow!
Preserve space pristine! let kids look at stars tomorrow!

..In all seriousness though, don't the entire mankind own the moon and asteroids and..space?
It would be great to achieve the kind of technology necessary to establish off-world colonies.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
reverse_rpm said:
-Ezio- said:
?if the mountain will not come to mahomet mahomet must go to the mountain?
That's the ideea.They bring a piece of space near Earth, to study it via direct human interaction

But the first thing on my mind, was a rocket-steered asteriod weapon of mass desturction, waiting near Earth orbit for Moscow to say something rude...

13-feet would not survive a fall through the atmosphere, right?
Right???
it would if they wrap it in shuttle re-entry tiles.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Akisa said:
For some reason I think one or bunch of the NASA scientist was playing Kerbal and put an asteroid into orbit and was like dude we should totally do that in real life.
It was the other way around. The Kerbal mission was inspired by Nasa's plan to redirect asteroids.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, on the plus side, it's probably won't change any weather patterns, but you really shouldn't be giving Magneto what he needs to create Asteroid M. It's just asking for a hundred nukes to be pointed straight down with impunity.