What Are Some of The Best Paints For Your Miniatures?

Lodur

May 28, 2014
What Are Some of The Best Paints For Your Miniatures?

There are plenty of options for paint when you want your miniatures to look as lifelike as possible.

Read Full Article

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I'm currently using P3 paints and I can vouch for the quality, they're very vibrant and go a long way, plus they don't dry out like GW ones do.

Incidentally does anyone know of a good match for the old GW Chestnut Ink? They stopped selling it a while back and I just decided to do my Aquan patrol fleet up like Moya from Farscape.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tamiya!

No list of modeling paints is complete without Tamiya, not least because they probably sell a list of other model paint makers model paints somewhere in their catalogue.

They also behave better in airbrushes than most other paints I've tried that weren't automotive, great for spraying big models.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ForumSafari said:
I'm currently using P3 paints and I can vouch for the quality, they're very vibrant and go a long way, plus they don't dry out like GW ones do.
They are indeed quite awesome, I agree. And the painting tutorials they put in their various books and their magazine are top notch as well if you're someone who may not be the most artistically inclined as far as mixing paints for different shades and effects. The only GW stuff I ever use anymore is if I'm in a pinch and need something quick for a model I'm dying to paint (their whole range is much easier to get a hold of here than anything else), and their washes and technical stuff they released a while back. Blood for the Blood God alone is probably one of the coolest things I've ever splattered on a model.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I shall stand up for GeeDubs...

I use their paints. I like their paints. I think they have better consistency than P3 or Vajello, and the newer bottle designs are much better. They also don't dry out as much anymore, and I like their range of colours.

But I've also been using them for about 11 years now, and it's probably as much a habit as actual technical details, and they're a tad expensive, yes.

But I do think that GW gets a bad rep despite actually having some good quality (but very expensive) modelling materials.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I don't have any local hobby stores but I've been slowly painting my collection of 40k and Malifaux models using Testors paint and various .50 cent acrylics from Michaels and Wal Mart. I suppose it works okay for the fairly basic paint jobs I'm doing (I don't have the coordination to be a great painter, even with ultra-fine detail brushes, but it seems I do okay even if it takes me a long time per model). I did wind up having to special order some flesh tones though which wound up costing me quite a bit comparatively, and I have yet to find one I really like. I'm pretty new at things though, despite some previous experience with Warhammer Fantasy many years ago. Seems like I spend more time repairing cheap, broken, models than (re)painting them (once repairs are done). The most useful bit of advice here has been on brushes because I keep destroying mine (mainly because I just keep them in a cup of water sometimes for a week at a time) and ummm, well, I'm still lazy but at least I know a bit better now. :)

Aug 31, 2012
I still use GW paints, a good number of which are over 20 years old. They used to give you so much more back then...

They did go through a period of having those horrible wide topped plastic paintpots with the black lids that dried out really quickly, so glad they've gone back to a better pot design. Their washes are great, so much easier to work with than their old line of inks. Their recent complete renaming of their range was a bit of an annoyance for some of us though. I mean, losing Bolt Gun Metal, that's like deciding the Ultramarines are actually heretics.

PS: I did buy some army painter white primer. Fucking awful, even GW's white primer was better, and that's not exactly stellar. These days I just use Hycote Matt acrylic car paint for spray paint. So much cheaper and always gives a decent coat.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
I still use GW paints, a good number of which are over 20 years old. They used to give you so much more back then...

They did go through a period of having those horrible wide topped plastic paintpots with the black lids that dried out really quickly, so glad they've gone back to a better pot design. Their washes are great, so much easier to work with than their old line of inks. Their recent complete renaming of their range was a bit of an annoyance for some of us though. I mean, losing Bolt Gun Metal, that's like deciding the Ultramarines are actually heretics.
I still ask my local GW which paint is the new version of the old colour. It'd be like "Where is Ultramarines Blue?" "Oh, it's Macragge Blue now." "And Chaos Black?" "It's now Abaddon Black". "Thanks".

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Coat'd'Arms are a really good choice too, though they are hard to get hold of outside the UK. Similar price to GW paints but more paint in the pot. They actually used to be the original Citadel paints and are often the best way of getting hold of some of the older Citadel colours

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Vivi22 said:
washes and technical stuff they released a while back. Blood for the Blood God alone is probably one of the coolest things I've ever splattered on a model.
I'm currently up to my armpits in spaceships so I've not tried out any of the technical paints, they do look cool though. Have you tried out the verdigris one?

Aug 31, 2012
L. Declis said:
I still ask my local GW which paint is the new version of the old colour. It'd be like "Where is Ultramarines Blue?" "Oh, it's Macragge Blue now." "And Chaos Black?" "It's now Abaddon Black". "Thanks".
It gets depressing when the paint was discontinued before the shop assistant was born.

Quellist said:
Coat'd'Arms are a really good choice too, though they are hard to get hold of outside the UK. Similar price to GW paints but more paint in the pot. They actually used to be the original Citadel paints and are often the best way of getting hold of some of the older Citadel colours
Thanks, that's pretty helpful, looking through those I can see swooping "Hawk Turquoise", striking "Scorpion Green", ultra "Marine Blue" and a few others. If only I could work out which one is Moody Blue, I could get all my Crimson Fists the same colour.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
this is a nice list, I want to start up painting again when the ninth edition drops for warhammer but need to start my paint collection from scratch. Vellejo has never gotten a negative review from what I have seen

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
L. Declis said:
I shall stand up for GeeDubs...

I use their paints. I like their paints. I think they have better consistency than P3 or Vajello, and the newer bottle designs are much better. They also don't dry out as much anymore, and I like their range of colours.

But I've also been using them for about 11 years now, and it's probably as much a habit as actual technical details, and they're a tad expensive, yes.

But I do think that GW gets a bad rep despite actually having some good quality (but very expensive) modelling materials.
While I agree with most of this, the new GW paint range made one unforgivable error. The new 'Base' paints are complete garbage when compared to the Foundation range they replaced, being far thinner and providing massively worse coverage. Which is why I'm dreading the day my supply of Fenris Grey runs out (as well as 'The Fang', it's so called replacement not really being the same colour).

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ForumSafari said:
Vivi22 said:
washes and technical stuff they released a while back. Blood for the Blood God alone is probably one of the coolest things I've ever splattered on a model.
I'm currently up to my armpits in spaceships so I've not tried out any of the technical paints, they do look cool though. Have you tried out the verdigris one?
Can't say I have I'm afraid (don't have many models/armies it'd really fit with), but if it's half as good as the other technical stuff it should be pretty sweet. Nurgle's Rot and Blood for the Blood God have treated me well. Very well.