Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Announced For Wii U, New 3DS, and Xbox One

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Announced For Wii U, New 3DS, and Xbox One

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will release on Nintendo platforms, with "minor edits."

Edmund McMillen has announced that The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will be available for purchase on Wii U and the New 3DS handheld later this year. The game, which centers on a naked boy running from his mother (who plans to sacrifice him on God's instruction), had previously been rejected by Nintendo due to its religious themes and content.

In a compromise, versions of the game on Nintendo platforms will feature a few changes, as outlined by McMillen in his announcement post. Playable characters will now wear a fig leaf to cover their nudity. The use of the term "God" will be replaced with "Dog," in a not-so-subtle nod to "Son of Sam" killer, David Berkowitz. Meanwile, other instances of Christian imagery are being swapped for those of a much less popular faith, Scientology, such as replacing the existing "Celtic Cross" item with an "E-Meter."

McMillen also confirmed that the game will release, in its original form, on Xbox One later this year.

Originally released as a Flash game in 2011, The Binding of Isaac was remade with expanded content in 2014 by independent game publisher Nicalis. It is currently available for PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.

No release date has yet been given for the Wii U, New 3DS and Xbox One versions, though McMillen suggests that it could be within the next few months.

Source: Official Website [http://bindingofisaac.com/post/115192982234/rebirth-coming-to-3ds-wiiu-and-xbox1]

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
It's really sad that I can't tell if this is an April Fools joke or not.

Kalak

Feb 25, 2010
As I posted to FB I think there is a grain of truth to this one, there have been leaks previously showing it played with a split second of a wiiu overlay and another still image of a tv playing with a 3ds screen in the corner with the game on it. Im still hoping for a wiiu/3ds release but just hafeta wait and see

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Argh, I'm not sure if they're at the level of April Fools' of announcing stuff that isn't happening, just to be dicks (in that case
S A D B O Y S
) or they're a level above and announcing stuff with people believing that it's an April Fool (in that case, goddamnit Nicalis, don't toy with me like that!)

If it's real though, I will definitely double-dip on XB1.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'd kind of like to see a video game go up against Scientology that directly, just to see how it pans out. Christians may have a lot of influence, but you're generally not in danger of getting "disappeared" for merely mocking them in a piece of media.

For what it's worth, though, the formula behind The Binding of Isaac could have worked really well as just a generic dungeon crawler without the creepy enemies, the power-ups that do disturbing things to your character's body, and the backstory. As a game, it's one of the most well-designed I've ever seen, and could have potentially become a top-selling mobile title if it weren't insistent on alienating a huge chunk of its potential audience for the sake of its creator's weird sensibilities.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Okay, in other stories The Escapist has been marking April Fool's jokes as jokes. Did somebody actually think that this was real?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
For what it's worth, I would have totally gotten the Nintendo version if it were real. :p

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Just an fyi it looks like this is real, minus the bits about censoring the game

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
totheendofsin said:
Just an fyi it looks like this is real, minus the bits about censoring the game
so, it sounds like this is kinda legit...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/3/8341137/how-a-love-of-nintendo-finally-opened-the-door-for-the-binding-of

if so, super glad I'm getting a new 3DS in the next week. If not, this joke has been taken wayyyyy too far >_>