The Truth Behind The Baby Sarlacc Threat, and More Strange Science

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Truth Behind The Baby Sarlacc Threat, and More Strange Science

Can you guess the meaning behind these weird science pictures?

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fanghawk said:
Hi. Me again. Sorry - usual problem with the article layout. Here's a sample from near the top:

That happened with the top and bottom images, while the aquatic video was stuck in a similar fashion to the image above it.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Barbas said:
Fanghawk said:
Hi. Me again. Sorry - usual problem with the article layout. Here's a sample from near the top:

That happened with the top and bottom images, while the aquatic video was stuck in a similar fashion to the image above it.
Are you pub club?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Rhykker said:
Barbas said:
Fanghawk said:

Are you pub club?
I am indeed.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Barbas said:
Rhykker said:
Barbas said:
Fanghawk said:

Are you pub club?
I am indeed.
Ah, so my understanding is that Pub Club has the option to view everything on a single page, rather than click through to subsequent pages. I suppose that's breaking the formatting. I can't think of any way to "fix" this, off the top of my head - the whole point of the game is to not be able to see the next page until you've had time to guess what the splash image is.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
yes. pubclub single page option seems to completely break the 'game' part of an article like this.

I can't imagine many pubclub members won't have single page mode switched on, because it's usually less annoying than a bunch of seperate pages.

Though, it has it's weird aspects (like a typical review will have screenshots repeated 5 times, which makes sense for multipage layouts but looks weird on a single page)

I guess this particular article can't be fixed though...

NathLines

May 23, 2010
"At just over 30 centimeters long this creature isn't much bigger than a tea cup."

WHAT?

Is there some sort of tea-loving race of giants around that I'm not informed of?

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
yes. pubclub single page option seems to completely break the 'game' part of an article like this.

I can't imagine many pubclub members won't have single page mode switched on, because it's usually less annoying than a bunch of seperate pages.

Though, it has it's weird aspects (like a typical review will have screenshots repeated 5 times, which makes sense for multipage layouts but looks weird on a single page)

So I don't know how much freedom authors have over the underlying html, but if you wanted to recreate the "game" feeling of an article like this a hidden spoiler tags do in the comments would achieve this. If the underlying platform is written well, the article should be able to tell if it is in single page mode or not and modify the layout appropriately depending.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Nice. Immediately thought that first one was similar to the Arum plant family. Luring in carrion flies and smelling of dead meat.
They usually also tend to look like dead flesh.
Nice find that plant! Had me guessing for a bit.

Okay. Lollipop thing, couldn't guess. Fun research I guess.
The frog was really interesting, but I couldn't figure out the significance from the picture alone. Cool to know though.

Yeah, the sea horse thing. Cool looking, recognized it immediately.

Cool, exploding suns!

Nice going! Good article!

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
jthwilliams said:
CrystalShadow said:

So I don't know how much freedom authors have over the underlying html, but if you wanted to recreate the "game" feeling of an article like this a hidden spoiler tags do in the comments would achieve this. If the underlying platform is written well, the article should be able to tell if it is in single page mode or not and modify the layout appropriately depending.
Thanks for the suggestions - we'll look into whether this is feasible. Meanwhile, we're using tags to break up the image a bit.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I really enjoy these columns.
I like how some are really hard to guess (lollipop one) and some are pretty easy (Leafy Sea Dragons).
I feel it is a pretty good mix.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Hydnora Africana. I am surprised no one mentioned a maker from Arrakis. Before this.

Akim Souary

Apr 19, 2015
Wow! A 30 cm. teacup-plate would fit a pretty huge teacup! Bottoms up! Don't drink any of those after 6 pm. if you want to go to sleep before 3 am. Cool fish though.. ;)