It Follows - A Creepy, Slow-Burn of a Horror Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It Follows - A Creepy, Slow-Burn of a Horror Movie

We don't get good wide-release horror movies very often. It Follows is one of the few.

Read Full Article

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Marter said:
Recommendation: Fans of horror movies that don't rely on jump startles will want to see It Follows as soon as possible.
Everything that I hate about modern horror movies in one glorious Summary. Jump scares are not scary. A toddler can jump scare you; that doesn't make toddler's scary (those things are scary for other reasons).

I keep hearing such praise for this film and the solid recommendation from Marter seals that deal. Although I'm probably going to have to RedBox this guy since no one I know has any interest at all in this :(

Apr 17, 2009
I thought this sounded like a dumb schlock film when I first heard of it, but reviews I've seen generally praise it as being pretty good. Especially when compared with most of the dreck we get for 'horror'. May have to actually give this a look in...

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Having seen this movie (it was released back in February or something here in the UK) I can confirm it is a jump scare free zone (for the most part). I really liked this film. Sure, as the review states, the acting is a bit iffy at times and it does still take place in that horror movie universe where everyone is a complete idiot, but it does an excellent job of building tension and atmosphere.

I'm not someone who gets scared at "horror" films. Salems Lot at the age of 8 kinda made me immune to most of them, but I found myself preoccupied with this one, because it is so slow and methodical. Mild spoilers, but this is a film that makes an old woman walking slowly towards the camera absolutely terrifying.

So yeah, go see it. It makes a change from all these jump scare ridden slatterfests that pass themselves off for horror these days...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
So basically:

I feel like I've heard this before. But, who knows, could be interesting. The last good horror movie I remember seeing was Oculus (which was fantastic).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
You know what's truly scarey about this? It will be moderately successful, then the idea will be milked to death, retroactively destroying the concept of the original.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
008Zulu said:
You know what's truly scarey about this? It will be moderately successful, then the idea will be milked to death, retroactively destroying the concept of the original.
Then enjoy it while it lasts. It'll be better than watching it after everything has been ruined.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
This is one of the better reviews I've read. Most of the others seem to be so glowing that I almost took my wife who doesn't like horror movies to see it. I'll wait for netflix to watch it by myself. Anything that contains dumb teenagers, no matter how smart the movie, will elicit groans of displeasure.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds interesting. just my cinema doesnt play it at all. guess have to wait for it to be out on dvd.