Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Officially Revealed With First Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Officially Revealed With First Trailer

Hot on the heels of yesterday's leak [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140383-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-Leaked-For-Xbox-One-PC-and-PS4], Square has officially revealed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Yesterday, a boatload of info on a brand-new Deus Ex title was leaked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140383-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-Leaked-For-Xbox-One-PC-and-PS4], and today, Square Enix has gone ahead and made it official. It did so with the cinematic trailer you'll see to the right, featuring everyone's favorite husky-voiced augmented protagonist: Adam Jensen, explaining the state of the world following the events of Human Revolution, as well as kicking ass with his fancy new tricks.

From Square's official release:

"Deus Ex: Mankind Divided directly follows the aftermath of the Aug Incident, a day when mechanically augmented citizens all over the world were stripped of control over their minds and bodies, resulting in the deaths of millions of innocents. The year is now 2029, and the golden era of augmentations is over. Mechanically augmented humans have been deemed outcasts and segregated from the rest of society. Crime and acts of terror serve as a thin veil to cover up an overarching conspiracy aimed at controlling the future of mankind..."

It also confirms what we suspected earlier, in that the game will be making its way to all three of the major current-gen platforms: PC, PS4 and Xbox One. The game will be developed by Eidos Montreal, the same folks who were behind Human Revolution

Source: Square Enix [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kd7F3YFz8]

Made in China

Apr 2, 2013
I didn't ask for this.

This is as far from Deus Ex as you can get. Yes, you can augment you character. Yes, you can modify your weapons. But you aren't a blank slate anymore. The focus here is on the struggle, the fight - and therefore it forces you to pick a side. Heck, the trailer is as combat heavy as they come - and if that's any indicator to what's to come, I'd rather just not play it, plain and simple.
And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Human Revolution. I thought it was fine. But it pales in comparison to Deus Ex, even though it improves upon it greatly in some areas.

For example, in the original Deus Ex, you could talk your way through some situations. In Human Revolution, you'd manipulate others NO MATTER WHAT YOU'D SAY, as long as you've matched their pheromones. This is an atrocity and it completely destroys an entire path of the game.
In the original Deus Ex, you felt like you were on par with anyone you've met - you were still human. Even when you've fought augmented agents like Navarre and Hermann, you didn't feel like they were Bosses, just very augmented people (or NPCs or whatever). They each had their shortcomings and ways to "cheat" and one-hit them, if you came prepared. In Human Revolution, you felt superior to the regular enemies by a lot, and inferior to the Bosses, which were damage sponges with a gimmick attached to each.

So, I didn't ask for this. I want another Deus Ex, but what you're making isn't Deus Ex - it's just another by-the-book cyberpunk action game.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Looks really fun.

Made in China said:
In Human Revolution, you'd manipulate others NO MATTER WHAT YOU'D SAY, as long as you've matched their pheromones.
Played the game through less than 2 months ago, and that just isn't true at all.

Look, we get it. You want the old Deus Ex. Sorry dude, that just isn't going to happen. New publishers, new developers, completely new team. If you ask the new team to ape the old team it just isn't going to work out well. Let them do what they are good at.

Different is not always worse. It may not be your cup of tea, but that does not make it worse.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Great trailer. Note that while it's action-heavy, almost all the action is given context, sometimes layers of context.

For instance, so, there's a big explosion. In most trailers, that would be it: "hey, guys, things blow up". But here it's a terrorist explosion set by the kid Jensen saved from the cops, inspired by the boss, who in turn appears to be manipulated by the Illuminati, while pressing his pro-aug case against the anti-aug media (very different from the veritable unknown bosses from DX:HR).

We're shown a lot of shooting and stabbing, but we're also shown stealth, new augs, non-lethal takedowns, wall breaking, hacking (I think?), and so on.

DrOswald said:
Look, we get it. You want the old Deus Ex.
He doesn't, though. It wasn't like what he seems to think it was like. He wants a past that never happened.

Made in China

Apr 2, 2013
DrOswald said:
Played the game through less than 2 months ago, and that just isn't true at all.
The conversation paths are randomized. No certain line will lead you to a certain result, even if it makes total sense with both the conversation and the psyche profile. Therefore, the only way to "win" consistently is by using the CASIE pheromones. It's also the only way to get certain bonuses or save certain people, no matter your choices beforehand or during that conversation - just release a puff of perfume into the air and everything will be alright.

DrOswald said:
Different is not always worse. It may not be your cup of tea, but that does not make it worse.
Oh, you're completely correct about that. I've already said that in some aspects, Human Revolution is far better than Deus Ex - for example, the patrol paths are phenomenal and hacking shows potential, even though it got old rather fast. But unfortunately, this isn't what made Deus Ex - it was just a part of it. I'm just lamenting that this new franchise is so detached from the original, and yet carries its name. Couldn't they start an original IP?

Pyrian said:
He doesn't, though. It wasn't like what he seems to think it was like. He wants a past that never happened.
I play Deus Ex annually, or at least one of its mods (such as TNM). Although, this year's a bit off since I'm waiting for the release of Deus Ex Revision. I strongly encourage you to replay Deus Ex if you don't believe me, even to this day IT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Made in China said:
I strongly encourage you to replay Deus Ex if you don't believe me, even to this day IT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND.
The original is no where near mind blowing. It's good fiction to be sure, but you are majorly overselling it.

For me it rates about a B on the sci fi scale. And actually not that great on the gameplay scale.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Made in China said:
DrOswald said:
The conversation paths are randomized. No certain line will lead you to a certain result, even if it makes total sense with both the conversation and the psyche profile. Therefore, the only way to "win" consistently is by using the CASIE pheromones. It's also the only way to get certain bonuses or save certain people, no matter your choices beforehand or during that conversation - just release a puff of perfume into the air and everything will be alright.
Just because there's randomization, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. And you can fail with the aug before you even reach the puff point (and you can screw up the puff), so that's no absolute guarantee (though it certainly makes it easier, which is the point of being augmented).

Made in China said:
Pyrian said:
I play Deus Ex annually, or at least one of its mods (such as TNM). Although, this year's a bit off since I'm waiting for the release of Deus Ex Revision. I strongly encourage you to replay Deus Ex if you don't believe me, even to this day IT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND.
I assure you, I've played it plenty, and I adore it. But I think it's ridiculous to criticize DX:HR by pretending that DX1 had features it simply didn't. There is no choosing sides in Deus Ex 1 - not even the illusion of such a choice a la Invisible War. You can even make Paul, Navarre, and the Unatco troops all adore you; none of their triggers are mutually exclusive. There are no conversation challenges worth mentioning; it's not "talking your way past" so much as "don't deliberately provoke them" or "say the code word". I don't even know what you mean by claiming you're on a par with anyone you meet, that's just nonsense. You're a burgeoning god against a bunch of blind mole rats, and you have to crank the difficulty to realistic and play sub-par just to give the bosses a chance to harm you.

Made in China said:
(such as TNM)
Hmm. You might be getting The Nameless Mod mixed up with Deus Ex.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well this is exciting. I really wanted a good followup and not that crap they did with the mobile game. I am really looking forward to exploring more of the world they outlined in Human Revolution. I just wish we had a release date. Last time we saw a trailer like this, we ended up waiting 2 years for the game to come out.

Made in China

Apr 2, 2013
DrOswald said:
For me it rates about a B on the sci fi scale. And actually not that great on the gameplay scale.
The storyline is corny, but it is multifaceted. It is well explored. Every character is given a backstory and identity, even if it isn't shown in the forefront (Gunther Hermann's "I wanted orange, but it gave me lemon-lime" comes to mind). Also, I have the disagree on the gameplay - it is utterly amazing for its time, and it holds to this day. Heck, games like Dishonored are almost exactly like it, but replace "Augmentations" with "Super powers". I also adore it, but it isn't related.

Pyrian said:
Just because there's randomization, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. And you can fail with the aug before you even reach the puff point (and you can screw up the puff), so that's no absolute guarantee (though it certainly makes it easier, which is the point of being augmented).
First of all, it doesn't matter for SOMEONE. If it's randomized, statistically, there'll be a chap who'll suffer from constant failure due to the machine being backwards all the time. And the only way you can fail with the pheromones is by using the wrong one, and that's almost impossible if you have half a brain. I don't recall being kicked out of a conversation prior to having the choice to use them, but I'm not entirely sure - so you may have a point there.

Pyrian said:
I assure you, I've played it plenty, and I adore it.
That's great to hear!

Pyrian said:
There is no choosing sides in Deus Ex 1 - not even the illusion of such a choice a la Invisible War.
I never said there was. Quite the opposite, actually - this was one of my bitching points about the new Mankind Divided trailer - you're forced to pick a side instead of being a tabula rasa - while the main choice you made in Deus Ex was in the end with Helios.

Pyrian said:
There are no conversation challenges worth mentioning; it's not "talking your way past" so much as "don't deliberately provoke them" or "say the code word".
Well, it isn't limited to JUST the conversation system. In itself, it's just picking a response - but it does run deeper. Have you ever saved Jock by discovering that the mechanic is a spy? You do it entirely through conversation, back and forth between Jock, the Mechanic and Morgan Everett. That's basically the pinnacle, but conversation integrates itself with gameplay quite often - infiltrating the Navy base becomes a hell of a lot easier if you befriend the sailor in the bar.

Pyrian said:
I don't even know what you mean by claiming you're on a par with anyone you meet, that's just nonsense.
In the beginning, you run into grunts. As you say, they don't really pose an issue - but on later levels, you get enemies wielding flamethrowers and plasma rifles which can blind you, leaving you helpless even if you get hit just once. MiBs often travel in groups and will destroy you unless you are using stealth or abusing the Regen aug. You're not an almighty God and going in guns blazing will often get you killed. Heck, going head on against a Milbot is suicide in almost every scenario, except when using the broken Regen aug.

Pyrian said:
Hmm. You might be getting The Nameless Mod mixed up with Deus Ex.
Nope, but it is great on its own account. But I do feel it hits closer to home then Human Revolution. I think it's a must play, not just as a great Deus Ex-style game, but also as one of the greatest total conversion mods of all time.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
So Adam apparantly survived the end of DXHR thanks to global warming. Can't say it's all bad now, can you? Consindering Panchaea was apparantly built to work against global warming I think Adam destroyed it so he can survive destroying it! That devilish bastard!

Anyway, snark aside, as long as they don't move more towards this "cinematic movie feel" nonsense (panic room anyone?), or even better move away from it, I am excited. I kinda doubt that. At the moment I expect Call or Deusfield: Modern Advancing Setpieces.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I never asked for this but still I will play it! Looking forward to it.

The more technical of you guys may be interested in this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1550134/gt-deus-ex-mankind-divided-supports-directx-12-and-tressfx

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I loved Human Revolution - hated the ending though

This seems to totally fix that. I do what the canon ending to the first game is though. Do you get to choose? That would be awesome

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Made in China said:
The storyline is corny, but it is multifaceted. It is well explored. Every character is given a backstory and identity, even if it isn't shown in the forefront (Gunther Hermann's "I wanted orange, but it gave me lemon-lime" comes to mind). Also, I have the disagree on the gameplay - it is utterly amazing for its time, and it holds to this day. Heck, games like Dishonored are almost exactly like it, but replace "Augmentations" with "Super powers". I also adore it, but it isn't related.

First of all, it doesn't matter for SOMEONE. If it's randomized, statistically, there'll be a chap who'll suffer from constant failure due to the machine being backwards all the time. And the only way you can fail with the pheromones is by using the wrong one, and that's almost impossible if you have half a brain. I don't recall being kicked out of a conversation prior to having the choice to use them, but I'm not entirely sure - so you may have a point there.

I never said there was. Quite the opposite, actually - this was one of my bitching points about the new Mankind Divided trailer - you're forced to pick a side instead of being a tabula rasa - while the main choice you made in Deus Ex was in the end with Helios.

Well, it isn't limited to JUST the conversation system. In itself, it's just picking a response - but it does run deeper. Have you ever saved Jock by discovering that the mechanic is a spy? You do it entirely through conversation, back and forth between Jock, the Mechanic and Morgan Everett. That's basically the pinnacle, but conversation integrates itself with gameplay quite often - infiltrating the Navy base becomes a hell of a lot easier if you befriend the sailor in the bar.

In the beginning, you run into grunts. As you say, they don't really pose an issue - but on later levels, you get enemies wielding flamethrowers and plasma rifles which can blind you, leaving you helpless even if you get hit just once. MiBs often travel in groups and will destroy you unless you are using stealth or abusing the Regen aug. You're not an almighty God and going in guns blazing will often get you killed. Heck, going head on against a Milbot is suicide in almost every scenario, except when using the broken Regen aug.
You're confusing features for gameplay.

I personally prefer having to intuit the correct dialogue or pheromone based on what you know of the character's personalty over memorizing the correct sequence required for the optimal solution through repeated play or with the help of a guide, but I can see the appeal of the other for some.

Tabula rasa means blank slate. In the context of interactive media it implies that you, the player, are the character's conscience. The character's beliefs and passions are left up to the player's imagination. Dialogue and narrative heavy games tend to not employ tabula rasa characters because it makes the dialogue options non-consequential and boring lest the writer runs into the possibility of interjecting a point of view that does not align with the player's perception of the character.
The Chosen Undead are a tabula rasa. Commander Sheperd is not a tabula rasa they are a role.

I think you are confusing challenging to mean: it took time to solve.

I believe Pyrian mentioned something involving sub-par builds. Unless there is an actual bug in the game involving the regeneration augmentation that allows you to employ it beyond its intended use, you might be subjecting yourself to scrub mentality [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub].

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Made in China said:
You know, have you ever tried NOT using the aug? I didn't, because I didn't want to free-win the conversations. Simply by gauging responses and demeanors, I succeeded in every conversation except the very last one with . And I don't generally consider myself a people person.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well anyway, it looks like they finally got rid of that HORRIBLE yellow and black filter they had over EVERYTHING in DE:HR. Seriously, it made the game look like bland crap in the end. Ugh... Although, their still seems to be bits of it left.

As to whether this looks good or not... Well, the trailer is certainly fancy pants and well put together if that's what you guys mean. But we should all know by now that trailers are hardly indicative of what the game will look like in the end.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
A shame I don't have either of the two consoles to play it on and one 3-year-old laptop and 7-year-old computer so seems I will be missing out on this one :,(
Love Human Revolution, this seems like a great followup!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
So by the looks of it he took Elizas ending and survived, not to worried by how action filled the trailer is because the last game had an action filled trailer too.

It was more of a "showcase" for all of Jensens augs and until we know otherwise this trailer might be the same, in other news built in PPCs and stun darts? Hell yes, shows they might be putting even more effort into non lethal gameplay.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
looks certainly awesome. as long we still have stealth options and multiple ways, im getting it.