Bloodborne May Seem Like A Dark Souls Game, But Be Warned

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Bloodborne May Seem Like A Dark Souls Game, But Be Warned

When you play Bloodborne, it feels and plays like a Dark Souls game, but in reality it will screw you up if you try to replay Dark Souls.

Read Full Article

choren64

Aug 2, 2011
I'm glad he mentioned the Updated enemy placements in Scholar of the First Sin, as apparently they changed because they were unhappy mostly with the original positions. People will claim it was Miyazaki that "fixed everything", but he supervised, oversaw, and approved the changes in both versions of the game.

On a different note, how come Yahtzee dislikes the "dudes in armor" so much? Sure they are common enemies, but the actual bosses to me have far more interesting back-stories and are way more fun to fight.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, watching footage of Scholar of the First Sin, I can definitely see how the mindset I've created for myself in approaching BB could absolutely fuck me over in previous Souls games. Especially DS 2, where a lot of the beginning enemies have ridiculous poise and wailing on them continuously can really screw you over.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fun fact, I was pretty good at dark souls 1 but got absolutely destroyed by low level enemies when first playing dark souls 2.
Each of those games has its own rhythm you need to get used to.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I've seen a quote from FROM that said that learning the enemy placements and how to deal with each encounter is the game, so moving them around basically makes it "a new game."

Not sure I agree with that logic, but it makes some amount of sense at least.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That final line brought memories of The world's greatest dad with Robin Williams.
It's strange how they seem to only want to remaster dark souls 2, the weakest of the bunch, for current gen. Surely the 1st dark souls would benefit more from an update?
I wonder if it has anything to do with Miyazaki's notable absence from most of the project.
Am only at the Hemwick witches part so far. i've beaten them a few times in other player's worlds, but can't seem to find any players to come into mine.

...i have sweeties...

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Yea the Fake final boss is probably one of the easier bosses but I quite liked it. It was just a simple fight against a worthy opponent to test if you'd learned everything you'd been taught, no demons raining from the sky, no one particular attack that would fuck you up and the setting for it worked really well. It reminded me alot of Gywn from the first game tbh, although I do wonder if it was supposed to have the same trick as the true final boss pulls on you but then they decided against it.

No excuse for the two bosses before that though which where quite frankly laughably easy.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Spacewolf said:
Yea the Fake final boss is probably one of the easier bosses but I quite liked it. It was just a simple fight against a worthy opponent to test if you'd learned everything you'd been taught, no demons raining from the sky, no one particular attack that would fuck you up and the setting for it worked really well. It reminded me alot of Gywn from the first game tbh, although I do wonder if it was supposed to have the same trick as the true final boss pulls on you but then they decided against it.

No excuse for the two bosses before that though which where quite frankly laughably easy.
It's a shame about the wet nurse because she easily has the coolest designs and attacks, but the movement of the character makes her much easier to dodge.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
jhoroz said:
Spacewolf said:

It's a shame about the wet nurse because she easily has the coolest designs and attacks, but the movement of the character makes her much easier to dodge.
Yea her design is great the fight even has quite a cool gimmick but it seems like they set her to DS fighting speed rather than BB leaving her a sitting duck.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I seemed to find the fake final boss easier once i stopped trying to parry and just went for openings in his attacks.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
choren64 said:
On a different note, how come Yahtzee dislikes the "dudes in armor" so much? Sure they are common enemies, but the actual bosses to me have far more interesting back-stories and are way more fun to fight.
I imagine it's because "dudes in armour" are rather uninspired design choices, so to have so many enemies in the game bear this aesthetic it will only become more monotonous. At least with the monsters with nine vaginas for a shin they were inspired from less well tread ground.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Spacewolf said:
jhoroz said:
Spacewolf said:

Yea her design is great the fight even has quite a cool gimmick but it seems like they set her to DS fighting speed rather than BB leaving her a sitting duck.
I feel like the lack of difficulty for some of the bosses has less to do with the bosses themselves but more with just how fast and agile they've made the player character. I wonder just how difficult the majority of DS bosses would be if you played with BB controls, stamina consumption and invincibility frames.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait "REAL" final boss? How do I get that? Is that what those Third of an Umbilical Cords go to (There's a phrase I'd never thought I'd say)

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
erttheking said:
Wait "REAL" final boss? How do I get that? Is that what those Third of an Umbilical Cords go to (There's a phrase I'd never thought I'd say)
Yeah you have to eat three of those and then beat the First Hunter. After that, you'll see a cutscene and fight the real final boss and get the secret ending. The fight is pretty easy and the ending actually raises more questions than answers in typical souls fashion.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
jhoroz said:
erttheking said:
Yeah you have to eat three of those and then beat the First Hunter. After that, you'll see a cutscene and fight the real final boss and get the secret ending. The fight is pretty easy and the ending actually raises more questions than answers in typical souls fashion.
Got it, just eat three umbilical cords and kill some First Hunter dude for an easy boss fight and nonsensical experiences. ALL ABOARD THE TRAIN TO CRAZY TOWN

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
erttheking said:
jhoroz said:
erttheking said:
Got it, just eat three umbilical cords and kill some First Hunter dude for an easy boss fight and nonsensical experiences. ALL ABOARD THE TRAIN TO CRAZY TOWN
Par for the course of any Souls game if you ask me:V

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
And then it does something that, to my mind, is unprecedented in the world of re-releases: it also moves a bunch of enemies around.
This is straining the definition of "enemies" but Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360? They shuffled some of the earlier songs around to more accurately reflect their difficulty levels.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
jhoroz said:
erttheking said:
jhoroz said:
erttheking said:
"Real final Boss" sounds like another idea they stole from Castlevania. Along with the monster made of other smaller bodies.

Also, is there really an edition of Dark Souls called "Prepare To Die"? That's some honest advertising there if it's real.

Par for the course of any Souls game if you ask me:V