Crypt Of The Necrodancer Final Version Arrives Next Week

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Crypt Of The Necrodancer Final Version Arrives Next Week

Rhythm-based dungeon crawler coming out of Steam Early Access.

Brace Yourself Games has announced a release date for the full version of their current project, Crypt of the Necrodancer, for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. Available in pre-release through Steam's Early Access program since July of last year, the final version of the game will be launched on April 23. It will retain its Early Access price of $14.99 following this release.

Crypt of the Necrodancer mashes together elements of classic dungeon crawling adventure games, including randomly generated stages, grid-based design, and permadeath, with a beat-matching movement mechanic set to music by acclaimed composer Danny Baranowsky. Players are challenged to make snap decisions in order to keep the beat and survive increasingly difficult stages with more demanding rhythms.

The game has already garnered wide praise from both critics and players, with nearly 90% of Steam user reviews rating the title positively.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiQUw5Np8o]

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
I remember watching a few twitch people playing an earlier version of this. When that merchant starts singing, the music just doubles in how awesome it can be.

choren64

Aug 2, 2011
Really? The final version is that close? There's only about 4 bosses and three total levels. It's certainly a fun game, but that sounds kinda short-lived based on what I have played so far.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Holy shit why am I only now hearing about this? Dungeon crawling? Rhythm games? BOTH!?

[HEADING=1]FUCKIN' SIGN ME UP.[/HEADING]

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
having hopped on this game early, I can definitely say they've added TONS to the game since the early versions. been giving it a little time to get more stuff and holy hell, can't wait! all the characters, different gameplay, items, and in-run modifiers (Shrines)....can't wait to see how they finalized everything ^vvvvv^

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
Awesome, when I first heard of this game, I thought that it would be another early access failure. Mostly cause it's concept seemed like something no one would know how to implement.

Happy to see that I was horribly wrong. :)

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
choren64 said:
Really? The final version is that close? There's only about 4 bosses and three total levels. It's certainly a fun game, but that sounds kinda short-lived based on what I have played so far.
I might be biased, having clocked in over 200 hours in the game, but just learning how to get to the end of "All zones mode" takes at least some 20ish hours. Then there's MANY different possibilities on how your run will go. Will you activate that Shrine of Darkness? If you do, you won't see well, but neither will the enemies, and you'll know where the exit is. Will you take that ring of becoming, in hopes of finding a way to transmute it into ring of wonder? Good luck, because you'll want to not miss any beat. The most often-made choice - Will you opt for the golden weapon or the more powerful weapon with no gold bonus?

And then there's the many different characters that change how the game is played. I've been spending the last few evenings, at least in part, in trying to get aria low% achievement - aria, is a character that can only have a dagger equipped, and dies on missed beat, and 'low%' means that I can not pick up anything other than gold, so understandably, this is a pretty rare and difficult achievement - which will only get more difficult after release. Other than that, I am fine with logging in to do the daily challenge in half an hour, and enjoying the music, which is more than I can say for most other games I've "beaten" on Steam.

Ultimately, it depends on how much you enjoy the game's schtick. I've been unable to play any other rhythm game, but here the music is enjoyable, manyfolds more when the shopkeeper joins, and the rhythm skills required are minimal, so for me this was and still is the best game I have.

TL;DR: There's a lot of gameplay-modifying items, as well as different characters to try out in these 3 zones, soon-to-be-4, each made of three levels, and it depends on how much you enjoy the game's core mechanic of rhythm-based dungeon-exploring with an awesome soundtrack.