Daredevil Vs. Daredevil: Who Is The Best Man Without Fear?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Daredevil Vs. Daredevil: Who Is The Best Man Without Fear?

Is Netflix's Daredevil truly better than the Ben Affleck film version?

Read Full Article

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Is Netflix's Daredevil truly better than the Ben Affleck film version?
Yes. Fox's movie was an unmitigated disaster. Of course, it would be easily bested by the merely disappointing Netflix series. While the movie tried to condense too much material, the series tried to stretch out a movies worth of material over thirteen episodes.

Now, I had my doubts when it came to casting Mighty Thor as the Kingpin, but he pulled it off. It just would have been nice if they added some others from Daredevil's rogues gallery to the series. I mean, even if they only wanted to stay with the mafia angle, they could have included Hammerhead and Tombstone.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I think it's odd you assume there will be a second season. That isn't assures, as if there is one it likely won't be until late 2016 at the earliest, if they rush the other 3 Netflix series and the miniseries. It's quite possible Marvel would be content with having only a single season for the character, and Netlfix with the current slate, or that any other added Marvel works for the Netflix Original roster could be ones for other characters who are potentially popular enough for a 13 episode series but nothing more (I'd like runaways, please)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't think the Fox Daredevil film was bad at all, actually. It was fine, if not almost entirely separate from the comics in a lot of ways (you really couldn't do a Bullseye costume? Gimme a break). That said, the Netflix show is light years better. Great writing, good acting, interestingly directed... it's just better in every way. I would want to see a second season of this in a heartbeat. I still have three episodes to go, but so far D'onofrio's Kingpin is one of the best written villains I have seen in a long long time.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Korastus said:
The Daredevil film is indefensible.
It's plenty defensible. It's not great, but it's not as bad as some of the true stinkers out there.

The Director's Cut is much better than the Theatrical version and should have been what they released in theatres.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Affleck was a better Murdock, on the grounds that he is inherently more charismatic, possibly because he has much more emotive mouth expressions than Cox. Were they not playing a character that constantly had their upper face hidden behind sunglasses or a mask, Cox may have seemed just as human as Affleck managed to make the blind lawyer.

Cox was a much more brutal Daredevil, though I can't say for certain if that was to a better effect. There were many times when I felt the portrayal would fit better in a less iconic role. Yes, he was a more of a badass; but the number of times he wins a fight due to sheer luck, made him feel marginally unbelievable as a superhero.

I felt D'Onofrio's Kingpin was a more embraceable character. The insight into his background and the strength of the performance made him much more relateable. My one caveat however, is that there is that in showing his past, Netflix neglected to show how the Kingpin transitioned from his humble beginnings, into the who he ended up as. Though this is something that could be further explored if they make more of the series or even a spin-off, it is something that gnawed at me as I finished the [currently]last episode.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Solkard said:
Cox was a much more brutal Daredevil, though I can't say for certain if that was to a better effect.
More brutal? In fighting? Yes. But Affleck's Daredevil killed guys. Netflix's Daredevil is closer to the comics, in that he may beat someone bloody (or even cripple that guy), but he won't kill.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
One thing that kind of irked me, minus the 'Dark Knight' feeling of it, Frank Miller sucks and should be used as a tool of what NOT to do...not emulated.

And, was the whole 'Good Catholic Boy' vs 'Evil Atheist/Agnostic Man'.

Is this how the characters are the the comics?

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Korastus said:
Heh, funnily enough, another (former) member if this site "defended" it. "Defense" is in the name of the title of the show:

OT: I'm enjoying the NetFlix Daredevil way more, although I've only seen the first two episodes so far.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Zontar said:
I think it's odd you assume there will be a second season. That isn't assures, as if there is one it likely won't be until late 2016 at the earliest, if they rush the other 3 Netflix series and the miniseries. It's quite possible Marvel would be content with having only a single season for the character, and Netlfix with the current slate, or that any other added Marvel works for the Netflix Original roster could be ones for other characters who are potentially popular enough for a 13 episode series but nothing more (I'd like runaways, please)
I recall reading that NetFlix is looking to release on of these Marvel series a year.
That would put a season 2 a really long way off.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
Interesting, but I honestly can't really comprehend watching the movie and then watching the show and thinking "hmmm... which of these is TRULY the best?" The Netflix show isn't just better, it's simply on another level of quality entirely.

I'm all for defending poorly-received films, but putting it up as a competition seems cruel. Like, proving your kid isn't as stupid as people say by putting him in a trivia contest with Ken Jennings.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
o_O Honestly, I think Cox is the stronger Daredevil because of Foggy weirdly enough. Murdock and Nelson in the Netflix series have some real chemistry (which I really wish Cox had with Dawson but that very minor romance sub-plot still feels tacked on). In the first couple episodes the interactions between the two did help a lot to establish their relationship and, this feels perhaps important to mention, Murdock is actually a DEFENCE lawyer in the Netflix series.
Couple that with an appearance by the Hand and Cox's Murdock being a MILLION TIMES less creepy than Affleck's (does no-one else remember him using his being blind to try to pick up Elektra? And then grabbing her when she leaves? And FIGHTING her?)

A lot of this is just what they had to work with though, writing-wise Netflix feels like a clear winner.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DoctorM said:
Zontar said:
I recall reading that NetFlix is looking to release on of these Marvel series a year.
That would put a season 2 a really long way off.
I think it might be two per year, since Jessica Jones is slated to be released later in 2015, though the other two have not been given release dates.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Affleck's version was bad and they should feel bad. I recently wondered to myself if the movie was actually as bad as I remember it being, so I went back to give it another gander. I suffered through the opening and then arrived at his "fight scene" with Electra at the playground. Ugh, I had blocked that out of my head it seems because re-watching it made me want to punch my TV. The ONLY redeeming quality of the Affleck version is Kingpin. Next I'm watching the Electra movie, god help me!

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Can I at least be the first to say that it was refreshing to finally, FINALLY, have a movie or series done by either DC or Marvel that's mature and rated 'R' that isn't cutting corners or pulling punches (pun intended). I mean this gives me hope that perhaps someday they can get Thomas Jane back up to portray Punisher and make a series on Netflix that gives things a little more time to marinate. Because Punisher is a lot like Daredevil in that you need a LOT more time to flesh out the identity of the protagonist and why he does what he does.

I think Punisher would work a lot more with Marvel Studios in direct control, rather than on the sidelines.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Skatologist said:
Korastus said:
Heh, funnily enough, another (former) member if this site "defended" it. "Defense" is in the name of the title of the show:

OT: I'm enjoying the NetFlix Daredevil way more, although I've only seen the first two episodes so far.
I liked the Daredevil movie. People keep talking about how it's some huge steaming pile of shit, but I just don't see it. It's not a great or perfect film, but very few are. There have been far worse superhero movies. I still like the Netflix series better, because it's got a better setup to reflect the story. A movie only has so much time to try and develop the characters, and also move the plot.

And I like the chemistry of all the actors in the series. I still say that the movie isn't that bad as everyone likes to say it is though.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
WolfThomas said:
Solkard said:
Cox was a much more brutal Daredevil, though I can't say for certain if that was to a better effect.
More brutal? In fighting? Yes. But Affleck's Daredevil killed guys. Netflix's Daredevil is closer to the comics, in that he may beat someone bloody (or even cripple that guy), but he won't kill.
But Cox actually tortured them. Not just threaten and slap around in the moment, he went out of his way to lay them out properly and then with surgically precision, hurt them over and over.

I would not say Cox's hands are clean either, rather that he brooded over it a lot and played it more "Batman'ish". That was one of the issues I have with Netflix's portrayal and possibly that of comics in general. The whole "I'm not a murderer, I'm just going to break your arms and legs, then leave you laying on these train tracks for the approaching train to run over. But I'm not a killer." schtick never sat right with me.

I see "heroes" being allowed to pull that BS more and more, and am waiting for someone to have a discussion about that. Where is the line between innocence and culpability on the whole issue of murder and "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you."

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
The Daredevil movie wasn't nearly as bad as people say. It's just an easy to target to pick on. The theatrical version was fine and the director's cut was pretty good. It's certainly no worse than most of the crap of the era.