8 Star Wars Games to Tide You Over 'til Battlefront

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Star Wars Games to Tide You Over 'til Battlefront

While you wait for Star Wars: Battlefront, these eight games will scratch your Star Wars itch.

Read Full Article

So_So_Man

May 2, 2011
Psst...
The screenshot you have for Knights of the Old Republic is from Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Anyone who has seen my steam profile knows that I LOVE the Empire at War games.

I enjoy empire building. ^.^

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
So_So_Man said:
Psst...
The screenshot you have for Knights of the Old Republic is from Knights of the Old Republic 2.
Man, I clicked the wrong screenshot. Good catch. Time to go back to the old standby shot I have of the Ebon Hawk.

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
While it can't claim to be an original game, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is still a favorite of mine, mostly because I've been addicted to Ensemble's Age of Empires series since I was a wee lad. It is an RTS built off the AoE2 engine, and I enjoyed the heck out of it and it's map/story editor.

Other than Battlegrounds my time was shared with X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter. I am currently playing KOTOR on Steam, but it keeps crashing on me.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't suggest we play Star Wars Battlefront to get us ready for Star Wars Battlefront. We could even play the sequel, Star Wars Battlefront 2 to get us read for Star Wars Battlefront.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
I'm surprised you didn't suggest we play Star Wars Battlefront to get us ready for Star Wars Battlefront. We could even play the sequel, Star Wars Battlefront 2 to get us read for Star Wars Battlefront.
I thought about it, but I figured redundant title would be redundant.

MtnGamer said:
While it can't claim to be an original game, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is still a favorite of mine, mostly because I've been addicted to Ensemble's Age of Empires series since I was a wee lad. It is an RTS built off the AoE2 engine, and I enjoyed the heck out of it and it's map/story editor.

Other than Battlegrounds my time was shared with X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter. I am currently playing KOTOR on Steam, but it keeps crashing on me.
I love Battlegrounds. So good, so much like AoE2.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
No Star Wars Chess? Really?

Well, you can't go wrong with KOTOR. It's worth mentioning that it has an excellent Android port with gamepad support.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
ffronw said:
Xan Krieger said:
I thought about it, but I figured redundant title would be redundant.

MtnGamer said:

I love Battlegrounds. So good, so much like AoE2.
do what I do and blame Dice for not knowing how to name something. I wish the Escapist would make a rule where people have to call Battlefront 3 Battlefront 3 and not just Battlefront.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
No one should ever play Force Unleashed. Aside from some interesting use of physics it was a piece of shit when it came out and it's only gotten worse with age. I could probably name a half dozen Starr Wars games quite easily that are far better.

I'd probably even argue that KotoR isn't worth bothering with either.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vivi22 said:
No one should ever play Force Unleashed. Aside from some interesting use of physics it was a piece of shit when it came out and it's only gotten worse with age. I could probably name a half dozen Starr Wars games quite easily that are far better.

The Force Unleashed I can understand but no KOTOR? Why? Generally speaking they're held as one of the best examples of Star Wars done right.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm curious as to the status of Force Unleashed in the Canon... because the way TFU2 ended is confusing as fuck, considering the light side ending is supposedly canon and what happens makes absolutely no sense...

The Cloned Apprentice defeats Vader and the rebels basically pack him up, ship him out as a POW... and there's no explanation as to what happened or how Vader escaped...

I was more angry with the way TFU2 ended than anyone I've seen argue how crappy ME3's ending was. I still am actually. Its a game I wish I could erase the memory of playing but alas I don't have that ability.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Dark Force 2 was a TRIUMPH of the technology of its time. Huge, outdoor levels with tons of verticality compared to the more famous cousin Quake.

The full motion video cutscenes are cheezy yet endearing with all of the actors hamming it up and you could tell they were having a blast.

The binary "morality" system sucked but there isn't one doesn't suck and effectively made you want to play through twice to get to use both sets of force powers.

It came out a couple of years before Phantom Menace destroyed the SW mythology but soon after the Extended Universe was riding high off the Zhan trilogy.

One thing DF2 didn't have over DF1 was the pants peeing scariness of the Dionaga. And also removing the wonkiness of the compressed air gun made it a lot less fun.

Yes I played both of those games so much that I remember them vividly 20 years later.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
Vivi22 said:

The Force Unleashed I can understand but no KOTOR? Why? Generally speaking they're held as one of the best examples of Star Wars done right.
I'll amend my statement about KotoR by mentioning that I take no real issue with the world itself or even the gameplay; even if it is fairly dated it still works and stomping around familiar Star Wars locales is hard not to enjoy to at least some extent. But KotoR is still an RPG and the big draw in the genre is almost always story and characters. With a few exceptions the characters aren't all that interesting, and the story is just about as predictable and boring as a story can be.

Perhaps I'm just a little bitter though because anytime it's come up over the years it seems many people regard the story, and in particular its big plot twist, as one of the best ever in gaming, while I find it difficult to believe anyone was surprised by it enough to even consider it a twist. I'm still honestly convinced that anyone who couldn't see from the very beginning where the story was headed for your character probably fell asleep half way through and didn't know what was happening. I have the same fundamental issue with every Bioware game I've played though. They do fine with all of the secondary stuff that goes into building the world in their games, but their characters are hit and miss and their stories are flat out boring and predictable.

I'd probably recommend anyone interested simply read a plot summary of KotoR and jump straight into KotoR2. It may not be as polished, and a saddening amount ended up being cut in the rush to meet their release date, but it's still a better game by far as far as I'm concerned.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Xan Krieger said:
Vivi22 said:

I'll amend my statement about KotoR by mentioning that I take no real issue with the world itself or even the gameplay; even if it is fairly dated it still works and stomping around familiar Star Wars locales is hard not to enjoy to at least some extent. But KotoR is still an RPG and the big draw in the genre is almost always story and characters. With a few exceptions the characters aren't all that interesting, and the story is just about as predictable and boring as a story can be.

Perhaps I'm just a little bitter though because anytime it's come up over the years it seems many people regard the story, and in particular its big plot twist, as one of the best ever in gaming, while I find it difficult to believe anyone was surprised by it enough to even consider it a twist. I'm still honestly convinced that anyone who couldn't see from the very beginning where the story was headed for your character probably fell asleep half way through and didn't know what was happening. I have the same fundamental issue with every Bioware game I've played though. They do fine with all of the secondary stuff that goes into building the world in their games, but their characters are hit and miss and their stories are flat out boring and predictable.

I'd probably recommend anyone interested simply read a plot summary of KotoR and jump straight into KotoR2. It may not be as polished, and a saddening amount ended up being cut in the rush to meet their release date, but it's still a better game by far as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for clarifying, as far as RPGs go I'm more in it for the gameplay which is why I play Dragon Age Origins with little regard for character development. I do enjoy the occasional smart remark from Alister or Morrigan (or KOTOR's HK-47) but for the most part I play for gameplay and not characters.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wasn't KOTOR everyone favorite Star Wars game? Like isn't that a requirement if you are a gamer?
Also no Podracer or Dark Forces II?!

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Silentpony said:
Wasn't KOTOR everyone favorite Star Wars game? Like isn't that a requirement if you are a gamer?
Podracer on the 64 was pretty fun. I never felt like I was playing a Star Wars game though, just felt like a space-racing game.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'm a gamer and hate Team Fortress 2, yeah you can have a different opinion about a game, any game. I even think Half-life 2 was pretty mediocre. According to most of this site I should gtfo.

Sep 14, 2009
Silentpony said:
not a requirement, and it has plenty of flaws, but I definitely enjoy the hell out of that game ^_^

also podracer is kick fucking ass, I really wish they'd either release an HD version or make a new one, that game is one of my favorites to play a friends house when we get drunk, we play with boosters on the whole time, hard as hell navigating anything when you're hammered.