Telltale is Making a Marvel Adventure Game Series

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Telltale is Making a Marvel Adventure Game Series

No word yet on which Marvel characters will feature in the upcoming series.

Game of Thrones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/telltale%20games?os=telltale+games]. Now, Telltale has turned its attention to the gargantuan Marvel universe, and has announced a partnership with the comic book studio that will see a new adventure game series hit consoles and PCs in 2017.

"We've been busy," Marvel Games executive producer Mike Jones said before announcing the partnership. "It takes a long time to find the right partner. We have one special game we're excited about." He praised Telltale's approach to storytelling in video games, and stated that it was the exact quality it was looking to emphasize in upcoming Marvel titles.

"Marvel is about storytelling," added executive vice president Peter Phillips. He said that future Marvel games will strive for authenticity, will feel "exquisite" and "sexy," and will be celebrated by Marvel fans.

There's no word on which Marvel heroes will feature in the upcoming Telltale Game, but you can probably expect most of your favorites such as Spiderman, Iron Man and the X-Men to feature in it in some way.

I just hope that Telltale doesn't have too much on its plate, along with the aforementioned Borderlands and Game of Thrones series, it is also working on a new Walking Dead season and a Minecraft [http://www.telltalegames.com/minecraftstorymode/] series.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/23/8486213/marvel-telltale-games-partnership]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is honestly pretty cool. This is a great time to turn the attention towards less action oriented heroes though, seeing as how they only make adventure games. I wouldn't mind seeing Reed Richards show up in it, maybe Bruce Banner... you know, the sides of the Marvel Universe that are not about punching the other guy.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Also... why is every single profile picture on the escapist that kid? Can someone explain that to me?

Edit: Holy god... when I use chrome all the profile pictures are of some kid. But not in IE... that is super weird.

Edit2: It's when I'm logged into the site... all the pictures are some Justin Beiber lookin' kid. That is disturbing.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Baresark said:
Also... why is every single profile picture on the escapist that kid? Can someone explain that to me?

Edit: Holy god... when I use chrome all the profile pictures are of some kid. But not in IE... that is super weird.

Edit2: It's when I'm logged into the site... all the pictures are some Justin Beiber lookin' kid. That is disturbing.
You pressed the red button

Ansem-The-Wise

Oct 19, 2008
I'll be honest, this sounds promising, but it seems way to early to be announcing it, considering it's a full two years away. Though, since the Marvel movies are doing the same, I guess it's fitting.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sure, why not?! I've always said what the X-Men games needed was incredibly boring storylines and virtually no gameplay.
Someday I hope to have a TellTale game in 40k where you're a mentally sub-normal mouse in a Mechanicus lab. You know, a complete waste of the source material and licensing contract, because edgy ammirite?!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010

This could be epic, like more epic than anything they've done before. The only thing that would make this news even more awesome, was if they announced they were making an original cast of superheroes for the story.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am not anticipating anything good coming from this. Unless Telltale ditches the click-a-long story format and makes an action game. A story interspersed with QTE "action" sequences is a pretty sad format.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
That is nice. Very nice.

But now, please concentrate on finishing your currently running seasons, OK?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sound intereting and I really want to know which charaters it will be in the game given that I always know Marvel for the action and less on heavy dialogue (yes I know some comics are non action and can be talkative).

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
TTG = 3d rendered visual novels of licensed properties.

I'm not saying they're not entertaining, but "swipe finger to clean sword" is not an enthralling game mechanic.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Eh, I still like adventure games, but this one may depend on the content. I can think of a couple of good ones but I'm not sure what they'd actually opt for, Daredevil maybe with the underlying theme of a legal battle?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
On the one hand, that sounds nice.

On the other, they already have more on their plate then I'd like, and this would only divert more resources from those other projects.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
The next step is TellTale to make an adventure game for Blizzard. Reason?

We need more original Warcraft. NOT the f*cking Lava puppies for GOD SHAKE!!!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
OP:

This will be VERY interesting.
This might be a big chance for Marvel to connect the Videogames created by TellTale with the new future movies of Marvel.
How cool it would be to have Episodic Videogames of a Specific Characters before watch their movies?
COOL!!!!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aren't they working on an original IP too? I sure hope they are hiring more staff at least. Still, two years is a long time and I could die a horrible death at any point. Best not worry bout it too much.
TTG has the right humour for Marvel writing, I just don't see the action heavy style merging greatly with their convo/QTE based games smoothly.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I think that Telltale may be taking on too much.

While Tales from the Borderlands is cool, as is Game of Thrones, we are still waiting for an announcement of the next episodes. Does no one remember how slowly they handled Season 2 of the Walking Dead? Telltale has trouble when juggling two IPs, they really seem to struggle with schedules. Not a problem, but as it is episodic, it becomes a problem.

So they now have:

Walking Dead Season 3 (making)
Game of Thrones (mid-way)
Tales from the Borderland (mid-way)
Original IP (making)
Minecraft (making)
Marvel (making)

Could they just finish off their current IPs, get them set to a solid schedule, and then work on the new ones? Or drastically hire new staff, but don't risk the lowering of quality...

I don't know, I'm not a company director, but they seem to be getting eyes bigger than their belly.