Saving Forests With Technology? Drones Could Replant 36,000 Trees A Day

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Saving Forests With Technology? Drones Could Replant 36,000 Trees A Day

According to a former NASA engineer, drone technology could plant thousands of trees with industrial-scale reforestation.

Usually when we think of drones, we imagine <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137913-US-Navy-Attack-Drone-Boats-CARACaS>the military kind that wipes out enemies or <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139856-FAA-Rules-on-Drones-UAVs-Amazon-Prime-Air>the kind that might deliver Amazon orders one day. But according to former NASA engineer Lauren Flethcer, drones have another incredibly beneficial use - saving forests. Fletcher's plan is to launch a start-up called BioCarbon Engineering, with the goal of creating 36,000 trees a day by dropping pre-germinated seeds from flying drones.

"We are going to counter industrial scale deforestation using industrial scale reforestation," Fletcher said. "The only way we're going to take on these age-old problems is with techniques that weren't available to us before. By using this approach we can meet the scale of the problem out there."

BioCarbon's website lays out the details, but in short there are many benefits to drone seeding. It's much faster than planting by hand, saves on manpower, and allows mapping UAVs to provide data on planting patterns. The downside is that seeding with drones costs about 15 percent more than traditional methods - but replanting 36,000 trees is undeniably more effective <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_planting#United_States>than many current tree-planting programs.

What's more, tree planting is only the first step of Fletcher's program. "Together with tree seeds," he continued, "we hope to seed in other species including micro-organisms and fungi to improve the soil quality and ensure long-term sustainability of our efforts." For a technology so many people still associate with warfare, that's not bad at all.

Source: Good News Network, via <a href=http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/former-nasa-engineer-use-drones-plant-one-billion-trees-year-1498616>International Business Times

Sep 24, 2008
A little scared.

Of course with the bee population dwindling, ideas on how to germinate our existing fauna is welcomed, as I'm sure this method could easily be adapted to handle that situation.

But I see patents and litigation and the likes... how much sooner will that 50 cent apple cost $5.47 due to trademarks, IPs, and market shares due to this miracle technique?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Huh, so I guess Robo regrowing a forest for most of 4 centuries is going to be more than allegory now.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Reminds me of how they did it in Anno 2070, cut down trees for wood and send drones to replant them. Seems like a good idea since sending people in cars to an empty area to plant trees seems like much more of a hassle than just sending in a flying drone to drop some seeds.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hmm sounds like a good idea but there is a problem. When you plant trees you are trying to do is recreate a process that took place over 1000s of years at the end of the last ice age. Different species of tree colonised the landscape and slowly altered the local environment creating the conditions in which today's forest grow in. You can plant 36,000 trees in single day but you have to manage those tress on a permanent basis. Its basically farming but done on decade by decade in stead of season by season. You can plant 36,00 trees in single day but who is going to thin them and clear the bracken out for the next 500 years.

Mar 30, 2010
At least we know that when we've all been wiped from the face of the Earth by Skynet it'll roll up it's sleeves and un-fuck the planet.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
I'm surprised it is only 15% more expensive then traditional methods. I bet with uneven mountainsides or rough terrain it might even the cost out, and as drones become even cheaper we may see it drop out as being the cheapest method.

How long before we use drones for planting agricultural farming?