Robotech Production Eyes Fast & Furious 7 Director to Helm Movie

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Robotech Production Eyes Fast & Furious 7 Director to Helm Movie

Fast & Furious 7 director James Wan could be Sony's choice to helm Robotech.

If the success of the recent Transformers movies have proved anything, it's that audiences enjoy watching giant robots blowing each other up. It's not hard to figure out, in turn, why Sony Pictures might have chose now to announce a new live action movie franchise based on a property like Robotech. There's no reason, after all, that Michael Bay has to be the only one raking in all the giant robot cash. That being the case, reports would indicate Sony is now moving steadily forward with its plans for the new franchise, including the selection of a director.

According to said recent reports, Sony Pictures is apparently in talks with director James Wan to helm Robotech and its sequels. Wan is perhaps best known for his work on The Fast and the Furious 7 and the horror film The Conjuring. While neither Sony nor Wan have yet to offer any official statement, sources have indicated that the talks are still in their early stages. If Wan is added to the project, he'll join producers Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton as well as 300-scribe Michael Gordon who is currently inhabiting Robotech writer's chair.

Robotech itself originally began airing in the mid-1980s and told the story of the human race using transforming fighter jets to defend the Earth from a parade of increasingly powerful alien invaders. While the show has retained a fan base in the intervening decades, many dedicated fans consider it to be an inferior product due to the fact that it was actually three separate TV shows cobbled together to extend its overall run time. How closely the movie draws on that hodgepodge heritage is something we'll have to wait and see.

Source: Deadline

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, the most anyone remembers of Robotech is the Macross parts, so why not just annihilate Harmony Gold and make a Macross film?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
F-ing Harmony Gold
They're the only reason why there are no Macross in the west.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Honestly, the most anyone remembers of Robotech is the Macross parts, so why not just annihilate Harmony Gold and make a Macross film?
Because if Sony execs where smart enough to do that, they wouldn't be so desperate that they need to work with Marvel to make a super hero movie profitable and dig up 80s nostalgia properties to stay afloat.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
My bet is that they're hoping to cash in on the same nostalgia that helped people recognize and take interest in Transformers. To be sure, Robotech isn't as well remembered but it's still a better known name among 80s children than Macross.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
This really sounds to me like it has "crap" written all over it.

Frankly, I don't want a Robotech or Macross movie. We had those already, thank you very much, and they were fine.

The only thing I want to see before I die is an updated version of the Robotech: Battlecry game with 1st person occulus rift support. This is literally all they have left to do with this property in order to cap it off. JUST DO IT ALREADY.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
StewShearer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
My bet is that they're hoping to cash in on the same nostalgia that helped people recognize and take interest in Transformers. To be sure, Robotech isn't as well remembered but it's still a better known name among 80s children than Macross.
But Macross is known amoungst the current age demographic which is most likely to go see this type of movie then Robotech is, to the point where it's actually an active IP in one of the largest markets there is (and lets be frank, Harmony Gold using a California court ruling which would be torn appart the moment it was challenged is quite literally the only reason it doesn't extend beyond that).

Though I will say this: I'm amazed that it's not a Gundam movie instead. I love Robotech and Macross, don't get me wrong, but Gundam has name recognition that can be found beyond its viewership, and has almost 40 years of continually active IP both in the East and West behind it. Plus, given the conflict of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the story would translate well to the big screen since it's taking a formula Hollywood loves (Americans vs Nazis is basically the jist of the war) and adding giant robots and having half of the story set in space.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
It's amazing that they wait until after the fourth Transformers film is released before they decide "I think it's a good idea to make a Robotech movie." Wasn't Tobey Maguire the guy that was trying to get them to do it immediately following the first Transformers film's release. They're a little slow to jump on the giant robot bandwagon at this point.

Oct 20, 2010
Zontar said:
StewShearer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
But Macross is known amoungst the current age demographic which is most likely to go see this type of movie then Robotech is, to the point where it's actually an active IP in one of the largest markets there is (and lets be frank, Harmony Gold using a California court ruling which would be torn appart the moment it was challenged is quite literally the only reason it doesn't extend beyond that).

Though I will say this: I'm amazed that it's not a Gundam movie instead. I love Robotech and Macross, don't get me wrong, but Gundam has name recognition that can be found beyond its viewership, and has almost 40 years of continually active IP both in the East and West behind it. Plus, given the conflict of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the story would translate well to the big screen since it's taking a formula Hollywood loves (Americans vs Nazis is basically the jist of the war) and adding giant robots and having half of the story set in space.

I would pay lots of money for a Gundam Movie! I thought it was awesome how in the newest death battle, Tony Stark just HAS a gundam in his Toys Garage - which completely supports your point: he does not have a VF-1 Valkyrie.

Whichever property however, I want Sony Pictures the hell away from it with a 30 foot cattle prod.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Zontar said:
StewShearer said:
Soviet Heavy said:

.)robotech is more likely to bring in a bigger crowd as its more buzz worthy(not sure if that's the right term) and will get not only the fans of the series to go but those who have never even heard of macross.

.)the owners of the gundam name don't want to sell the movie rights without complete creative control and no western studios are willing to give them that. That said the person they would want to direct it would be del toro cause lets face it love or hate pacific rim the mechs were amazing.

OT: Im ok with this because in order for the film to be good itll need a lot of high speed action and that is what this guy does best.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm actually very excited and hopeful for this. Robotech got me into Anime, and was the reason I stopped being a blonde. I actually liked the entire series, not just macross. I was actually very disappointed that they never finished the sentinels series. The books though were pretty interesting and it was neat to find out how it all ended.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
I would pay lots of money for a Gundam Movie!
Wasn't Yoshiyuki Tomino in talks with Hollywood for something gundam related, recently?
Recently? Not really

However, back in January of 2014 there was a rumor circulating that he was teaming up with Hollywood to make a Gundam movie, but the rumor was later shot down. Though he did comment that he would be open to the idea of such a movie.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Interesting, while I have not watched any of Macross (I have watched Macross Plus) I expect it to be one hell of a thrill. Above all else, I expect to see no less than 30 macross-missile-massacres on screen with the Valkyries weaving through them. Bonus points if they use lasers.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
If it weren't for Robotech, I wouldn't have discovered Macross.
But I am amazed and rather surprised that the HG bullshit is still afloat after all these years.
The number of surprisingly decent Macross products that have been released, from the amazing PSP video games, to the anime of recent years.

I for one, will be very interested to see what they make of this movie.

If it's a butchery, I am sure many will be glad they didn't drive the Macross name to the ground :)