Bandai Namco Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Tekken with Free Galaga Mash-up

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Bandai Namco Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Tekken with Free Galaga Mash-up

An unlikely pairing now free for mobile devices.

Bandai Namco is celebrating 20 years of Tekken in a mighty strange way. With next month marking the anniversary of the 3D fighting series' international launch to arcades, the publisher has released a new version of their classic arcade shoot-em-up, Galaga, featuring characters from the Tekken universe. The free game, Galaga: Tekken Edition can be downloaded now from iOS App Store [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.GalagaTEKKEN].

Once you've downloaded the game, accidentally signed away the privacy of everyone you know on social media, and viewed an ad for a Tekken product, Galaga: Tekken Edition allows you to create a "squad" of three Tekken characters to replace the standard ships from the original Galaga. Heihachi, Lili, and Claudio are available to start, with three others unlocked through play, and the characters feature differing fire rates and projectiles.

Screenshots from the Galaga: Tekken Edition show that a few other Bandai Namco properties have been slipped into the game as well, including company mascot Pac-Man and the all but forgotten mouse policeman, Mappy.

[gallery=4106]

When it comes right down to it, this is basically another ad-supported version of Galaga with enemy sprites replaced by low resolution sprites of Tekken characters. But, to put it another way, it's an ad-supported version of Galaga where you get to shoot waves of anthropomorphic pandas in space. That ought to count for something.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Screenshots from the Galaga: Tekken Edition show that a few other Bandai Namco properties have been slipped into the game as well, including company mascot Pac-Man and the all but forgotten mouse policeman, Mappy.
Hey, don't you be dissin' Mappy. There have been hundreds of imitators of Doom, Castlevania, Space Invaders, one-on-one fighting games, scrolling fighting games, and more. But I defy you to name another anthropomorphic-mouse-recovers-stolen-property-traversing-mansion-by-trampoline- game.

(Tongue firmly in cheek, to be clear.)

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I'm going to have to go ahead and get this out of my system:

NO, TEKKEN CAN'T HAVE BEEN TWENTY YEARS AGO. I REMEMBER PLAYING THE FIRST TEKKEN SHORTLY AFTER IT CAME OUT ON PLAYSTATION AND IT CAN'T IT CAN'T IT CAN'T THAT'S NOT SODDING FAIR.

Ahem.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You joke about giving away your social media information lightly, but may I remind you, Escapist, of that box on the right of every article showing that you ask for the same thing (on two different networks, no less) for a CONTEST ENTRY that has a ONE IN OVER NINE THOUSANDTH CHANCE of giving a prize, many of which I wouldn't actually wish on any of my friends? You don't even have a free Apple game for all of the losers.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Trying to think of a nice way to put this here. Creatively and whatevertherestery, this looks a little half assed. Anniversaries deserve a bit more showmanship, some flair! It's a celebration, right? From your diaphragm, goddamnit!