Why Ghosts 'n Goblins Is One of the Most Difficult Games Ever

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Why Ghosts 'n Goblins Is One of the Most Difficult Games Ever

There are some games that go beyond difficult, the ones that make you want to give up games altogether. Ghosts 'n Goblins ranks high on that rage-quit list.

Read Full Article

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Based on that I will never allow my friends to play this game on my console... There would be too many controllers to fix after that!

pressfarttocontinue

Feb 26, 2015
I think we need more games like Ghosts n Goblins again. These days, games can be too simplistic despite all the graphics and gizmos that make it shine.

dragoon3zero

Apr 26, 2011
the only thing that really frustrated me in the water temple was not knowing about the small key underneath the column in the main room. other than that, the lowering/rising of the water was only annoying at best.

Demetirus

Mar 12, 2015
I played this game back when it came out at a friend's place. We took turns, but eventually (almost 8 hours later) I started showing to be the better of the two of us so he just let me take over. We spent a whole weekend on that game. In the end, we finally got to that 'last boss' and, by some rare chance, beat him. We were elated! I think I even hugged him at one point! As your article points out though, our victory was short lived. We were dumbfounded and horrified when it warped us back to the start. There were no words. We just turned the game off and walked away.

To this day, I still haven't fully completed that game. Hard games are fun, but this game was just sadistic.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
You missed that the needed weapon itself isn't exactly the best weapon for the game. Usually powerful, but slow, and in later games, range is nerfed if you aren't in the best armor.

kimiyoribaka

Jul 11, 2012
There's an odd mix of information in this article. You've got the release date of 1986 for the NES, which is correct, but you've got a screenshot from the 1985 arcade version.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Guffe said:
Based on that I will never allow my friends to play this game on my console... There would be too many controllers to fix after that!
Want to know how bad, look at this:
This is a halloween episode, so some weird story is attached to this thing.
Warning, lots of swearing.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I remember getting to stage 2 or 3, and just being stuck there. It was horrible. Over and over and over... I used the cheat once to go to the end and fight the last boss only to see the "play the game again screen". No thanks.

Did any of you play the SNES game? That one was actually the right mix of challenge and fun - while it was still difficult, there were a lot more upgrades for Arthur and the graphics and levels were pretty impressive.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Also:

And no mention of the Frog? In the first one that used to be one of my favorite (and totally pointless) things to do.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I remember playing this when I was young, it's no wonder I have anger problems. It was the kind of game where you get sick of screaming "************" over and over and over and so you find yourself finding ever more elaborate ways of screaming your frustration.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
I only remember G&G as the game I eventually used a gamegenie on, and then still said f*** it 3/4'ers of the way through.

captcha: rhymes with NEARLY