Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter Funded In Just 40 Minutes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter Funded In Just 40 Minutes

[kickstarter=playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival]
I guess people really, really want a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor.

No less than a few days ago, we reported on the announcement of the Kickstarter went live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140661-Yooka-Laylee-Banjo-Kazooie-Spiritual-Successors-Revealed], Yooka-Layle hit its funding goal of £175,000 ($264,600 USD), and as of writing has soared to a whopping £842,737 ($1,275,777 USD).

It looks like people really, really want a new Banjo-Kazooie game. Who'd have thunk it?

The stretch goals that Yooka-Laylee has already smashed through include a co-op "buddy" mode, Donkey Kong-style mine cart levels, unique boss battles and professional foreign language translations. The only two stretch goals left are four additional local multiplayer modes at £875,000, and a simultaneous day-one release on all of its available platforms at £1,000,000. At the rate that this baby is going, you can probably expect it to hit both of these targets before the end of the weekend.

[gallery=4113]

The Kickstarter still has 45 days left in it, so you still have plenty of time to contribute [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival], and guarantee yourself a copy of the game on day one. The cheapest option that contains a digital version of the game is £10 ($15), with a multitude of pricier options packed with the usual Kickstarter goodies like t-shirts, artwork, and the inevitable "be in the game!" reward tier.

Yooka-Laylee will be released for Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Wii U, and while the exact release timing and scope of each version has not yet been determined, the team is aiming for an October 2016 release window.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival]

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Seems like youtuber JonTron (Definitely one of the most well-known Banjo-Kazooie fans on the internet) might be doing a voice for the game, he hasn't been making videos for a couple months.

https://youtu.be/iG_jHEag96w[/youtube]
Honestly not that much of a Banjo fan (I'm more of a Spyro person), but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
As I said in the other news thread, everything about this game looks significantly worse than Banjo Kazooie, but I am eagerly waiting to see whether the dev team still remembers what made Banjo Kazooie so special in the first place. As long as they nail that I am willing to overlook everything else and enjoy this game to the fullest.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
EndlessSporadic said:
As I said in the other news thread, everything about this game looks significantly worse than Banjo Kazooie, but I am eagerly waiting to see whether the dev team still remembers what made Banjo Kazooie so special in the first place. As long as they nail that I am willing to overlook everything else and enjoy this game to the fullest.
the kickstarter had some sample music I really liked it.

Honestly im excited I want a rare like game again I miss the ludicrous amount of collecting and the lovably fun cast and the puzzles and such.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
How long before Disney's lawyers spot the Lilo and Stitch influence/infringement?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
As a Banjo fan, to a fault, I'm so happy for this my words fail me.
The original two banjo kazooie games were freakishly well developed.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
With this logic, the villain must be a Wizard, a robot-Wizard if possible.
I hope for the latest.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
You know, it's moments like this I just get totally baffled by large corporations. Microsoft owns Rare, they could(to the extend of my knowledge) have them make a true sequel to Banjo-Kazooie. But do they? Nope. They have them make shitty shooters and games that no one asked for. How fast this was funded shows that there is a staggering amount of people who want another Banjo-Kazooie game. Yet Microsoft is too fucking stupid to wrap their heads around that concept and have rare make generic minecraft ripoff I mean Project Spark.

Either way, I never got to play one of Rare's games in their glory. I'm looking forward to playing a game like it.

whatever55

Apr 17, 2015
Elfgore said:
You know, it's moments like this I just get totally baffled by large corporations. Microsoft owns Rare, they could(to the extend of my knowledge) have them make a true sequel to Banjo-Kazooie. But do they? Nope.
for microsoft a million dollars is not a lot of money and the ROI for platformers is very low.
they can make a lot more money making other things, so they're going to make other things.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Elfgore said:
Either way, I never got to play one of Rare's games in their glory. I'm looking forward to playing a game like it.
Woah, what the hell are you doing here then? Get off the damn computer and go play one!

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
They've already reached the final stretch goal.
Damn that was fast.

Super excited for this game. The last "banjo-kazooie" was kind of a disappointment.
This is gonna be the real deal :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I love googly eyes! Googly eyes for all! This is the most positive news I have heard this year. Well done, platonic games. Though if this is going to be as much of a success as it sounds like it will, it could bring back 3d platforming for better and for worse.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I gotta say, I love Grant Kirkhope. This tweet of his sums up the kickstarter pretty well:

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/594197880434331649

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
damn. 45 days left? they're gonna have to add more stretch goals.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is this the fastest goal reached ever on Kickstarter?

Over I hoped they don't become overstretched with the extra funding.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Scarim Coral said:

If they do get an overstretch, they can use that excess money to buy publishing rights for consoles. Nintendo will be all over this, I can tell you that!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
keniakittykat said:
Scarim Coral said:

If they do get an overstretch, they can use that excess money to buy publishing rights for consoles. Nintendo will be all over this, I can tell you that!
I'm backing it for WiiU, I need more games.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Well it's not Sly Cooper or Spyro or Jak, but I'm hope for a return of the cheesy 3D platformers from my childhood.

It's nice to see a game that's shamelessly appealing to my nostalgia for once, rather than a game harkening back to the likes of Majora's Mask or something.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
*sigh* Looks like they're sticking with those characters. I really don't like 'em, I'll be quite honest. Also, the level design looks a little schizophrenic. We already had those in Nuts and Bolts and besides just one, they were all a mess of themes and things it sounded like they just drew from a hat. Terrarium... In space!

Nononononono!

They can do a Cloud CuckooLand level, absolutely. But making that the overall theme of the levels? Not good. 3/10 Would not kickstart.