Star Wars: The Force Awakens Photo Series Shows New Heroes and Villains

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Photo Series Shows New Heroes and Villains

This is pure escapism.

Yesterday's Star Wars Day brought along some new information for the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but some of the most interesting teasers came from Vanity Fair and famed photographer Annie Leibovitz. Her series of images featured the cast and crew of the much anticipated film, painting new heroes and unique villains into their natural habitats effortlessly. Vanity Fair's exclusive coverage of the images also included an official confirmation [http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/05/gwendoline-christie-star-wars] that "The Chrometrooper" (seen here) is the one, the only Game of Thrones actress Gwendoline Christie (a.k.a. Brienne of Tarth).

According to Vanity Fair, "Christie's character is actually named Captain Phasma and is a member of the First Order-the film's new version of the evil Empire." She looks stunning and inherently badass in her full chrome suit, and she's not the only one. New baddie Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver, looks just as ominous in his juxtaposing all-black ensemble.

Also pictured is Lupita Nyong'o, covered in tracking dots to help make the magical transformation into animated character Maz Kanata happen, and Resistance pilot Poe Dameron posing with his X-wing. Lastly, there's shots of new heroine Rey and her speeder, and an ensemble shot of assorted galactic smugglers and travelers. And last but not least, the official Vanity Fair June cover featuring the rebels themselves and beloved buddies Han Solo and Chewie.

Check out the images below and let us know what you're most excited to see in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
[gallery=4119]

Source: Vanity Fair [http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/05/gwendoline-christie-star-wars]

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I will admit, these pictures get me more excited than the trailers I saw so far.
Maybe the reason is the red ALien dude in one of the picures. Maybe this character will have a 0,1 second screen time, but it/he/she there. And that make me happy.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
"She looks stunning and inherently badass in her full chrome suit"

Nice that you think that, but to me it looks more like the suit all the other stormtroopers look at when checking to see if they have something in their teeth.

"New baddie Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver, looks just as ominous in his juxtaposing all-black ensemble."
Dress him up however you want, still doesn't change that this guy looks like he can't take a single punch to the anywhere.

But hey, at least the snow troopers behind him do a real good job of blending into the background this time around.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
That skinny dude in the black is the Darth Revan lookalike? He does not look cool or menacing at all without his mask.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Man, that third picture... Maybe they're going to add some impressive cgi to him, but he looks like he's about to start whining about being cold. If he's the guy in the Revan mask, he's going to make me miss Hayden Christensen.

The scene is vaguely reminiscent of Kefka walking through the desert in FF6, and even Kefka beats this kid in manliness.

MammothDuck

Mar 21, 2010
Got to agree with those above, really not feeling Kylo as a villain. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong.

P.s Also first post after 5 years, so yay =D

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
endtherapture said:
That skinny dude in the black is the Darth Revan lookalike? He does not look cool or menacing at all without his mask.
I'm not sure he's going to look menacing with his mask either. I know Jedi aren't bruisers or anything, but couldn't Abrams find someone who weighs more than 140 lbs and doesn't look like an angsty teenager whose mom just told him he can't listen to Slipknot in the house anymore?

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
It looks like they are using costumes for the aliens instead of cgi.

Yes, this makes me happy. Now the actors will be able to act like there's actually an alien standing next to them. Instead of a vague idea about what is supposed to be around them.

Putting CGI aliens was just stupid.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Guy in the third picture looks like he's pissy about choosing to join the Night's Watch.

[small]Maybe you should have thought twice about joining, Jon. I don't care if your daddy didn't tell you like it was.[/small]

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
endtherapture said:
This is very similar to how I felt when first I played The Old Republic and Revan appeared on the screen that first time. In which case, this actor is dead on perfect if they are wanting to emulate Revan how Drew Karpyshyn seems to believe he is. Ultimate teenage Mary Sue. Everyone keeps saying he is brilliant but when you meet him you're just like, really? He's clearly just a whiny, psycho turd that just got lucky a lot.

I'm very curious about the CGI they are doing with Lupita Nyong'o. I was hoping to see her be a secret character with a lightsaber, I thought I saw behind the scene pictures of her in a dark hooded robe, smoking a cigarette, and laughing. Probably wrong.

Also, I so called it that there was a woman in that suit.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Man, all this Kylo Ran hate.

I think he could be interesting, and I'm very interested to see where they take him. From what I know of his character so far he's going to be quite different from the previous villains.

He has no master, and is mostly self taught. He's interested in Vader and is gathering all sorts of Dark Side artifacts because he thinks they'll make him powerful, or that he can learn something from them. Take a close look at his saber and it looks like a piece of junk, barely held together. I like this. He's not some juggernaut like Vader, or a practiced warrior like Maul. And since this is Star Wars, I've no need to be concerned if he will be an effective villain for a few reasons. 1) This is the intro movie, so even if he's not that great here he has time to develop. Though I'm sure he'll be decent enough, and doubt he'll be the only one. Which leads me to the next point. 2) There's always a guy behind the guy in Star Wars. In the OT it was the emperor, in this one it's probably going to be something else. But I'm guessing he'll be hooking up with a master by the end.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
PirateRose said:
endtherapture said:
This is very similar to how I felt when first I played The Old Republic and Revan appeared on the screen that first time. In which case, this actor is dead on perfect if they are wanting to emulate Revan how Drew Karpyshyn seems to believe he is. Ultimate teenage Mary Sue. Everyone keeps saying he is brilliant but when you meet him you're just like, really? He's clearly just a whiny, psycho turd that just got lucky a lot.
Ishal said:
Man, all this Kylo Ran hate.

I think he could be interesting, and I'm very interested to see where they take him. From what I know of his character so far he's going to be quite different from the previous villains.

He has no master, and is mostly self taught. He's interested in Vader and is gathering all sorts of Dark Side artifacts because he thinks they'll make him powerful, or that he can learn something from them. Take a close look at his saber and it looks like a piece of junk, barely held together. I like this. He's not some juggernaut like Vader, or a practiced warrior like Maul. And since this is Star Wars, I've no need to be concerned if he will be an effective villain for a few reasons. 1) This is the intro movie, so even if he's not that great here he has time to develop. Though I'm sure he'll be decent enough, and doubt he'll be the only one. Which leads me to the next point. 2) There's always a guy behind the guy in Star Wars. In the OT it was the emperor, in this one it's probably going to be something else. But I'm guessing he'll be hooking up with a master by the end.
And this was just what I needed to read regarding that character. He looks a lot less intimidating without his mask, like not at all. I have seen people compare him to prince Zuko from that avatar movie that should not have been made. But yeah, Revan in The Old Republic was fairly meh until he put on his mask and turned freaking awesome. And as a concept he is way better than any of "antagonists" from the prequels, I am still frustrated that Lucas decided to kill off every interesting character in a hand wave and spend more time on romance that is as bad as Twilight.

With Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma as villains I probably will be more than satisfied with the antagonists for the movie. And if Boyega's character is a stormtrooper that defects then this gets even better. This stuff seem far better than my expectations.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Angelowl said:
And this was just what I needed to read regarding that character. He looks a lot less intimidating without his mask, like not at all. I have seen people compare him to prince Zuko from that avatar movie that should not have been made. But yeah, Revan in The Old Republic was fairly meh until he put on his mask and turned freaking awesome. And as a concept he is way better than any of "antagonists" from the prequels, I am still frustrated that Lucas decided to kill off every interesting character in a hand wave and spend more time on romance that is as bad as Twilight.

With Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma as villains I probably will be more than satisfied with the antagonists for the movie. And if Boyega's character is a stormtrooper that defects then this gets even better. This stuff seem far better than my expectations.
I'm basically of the same opinion. Concept wise I can dig it, of course we don't know how well it will be executed. But I've no reason to hate what they seem to be going for.

I mean, people dislike the fact that Kylo Ren looks weak? That he may be ineffectual? Ever think that's what they might be going for at first? The whole point of this is that these new people are learning the ways of the Force and trying to come into their own. It's not like the prequels, or even the OT.

We've seen lightsabers be constructed more than a few times throughout the franchise. What does someone infer from a saber that looks like this?

It's probably his first one. Generally how well do people do on their first attempts?

And regarding Phasma, I'm pretty interested in her as well. I'm not sure if they'll do it, considering how the audience might react. But if I were a betting man, I'd guess that the shiny chrome armor she's wearing is a special alloy. Like, the kind that can deflect a lightsaber.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
....they better hit this out of the fucking ball park as I suddenly got a campy vibe from it. But by my standards, they probably will. I like Phantom Menace.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I won't lie, this movie looking more like a ticking time bomb of misery every time I learn just a little more about it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm still entirely unenthused about these proceedings. I guess I'll need to see how it looks in motion (with post-production finished) for anything to spark.

endtherapture said:
He looks like an emo teen pissed off that the Avenged Sevenfold stadium concert was snowed out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not sure I agree with this method of explaining everything about your movie before you even release it.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
YOu know what I like? Captain Phasma's armor has no boob cups. Heck, there is no indication that she is a girl at all!
Nice to see something like that. I was worried that, if we ever saw a female stormtrooper, it would look like this.

TZO2K12

Mar 31, 2012
Dying_Jester said:
"...Dress him up however you want, still doesn't change that this guy looks like he can't take a single punch to the anywhere."
Best description out of the entire thread, yet it might prove to be inaccurate as he IS an actor after all, I suspect we'll be treated with smoldering menace instead of overt chest-pounding rage from his performance...I wouldn't expect a muscle-bound bad-Clint Eastwood impersonator to do a better job as we're already force fed that character type in the entirety of entertainment anyways.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Bizarely, the second I loaded the shot of Kylo Ren up my pet chihuahua jumped on the desk for a fuss. I was way more intimidated by my dog.

This is starting to get embarressing. Between that lightsaber, Kylo's emo, twig-like being, and a new generation as bland and characterless as they come expectations are dive bombing by the second.