Dragon Age RPG Core Book Review - You Won't Be Disappointed

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dragon Age RPG Core Book Review - You Won't Be Disappointed

This isn?t just the definitive Dragon Age tabletop experience - it?s a downright fantastic game.

Read Full Article

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I've been watching a YouTube series of a group playing this game and it really makes me wanna play it. Too bad my group still has two pathfinder campaigns, a 5e campaign, and a Dark Heresy campaign left to play. So I don't think I'll be getting it any time soon unfortunately. Sounds really awesome though

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
Do they still have the character creation where you roll each stat randomly because it "helps the old school feel"?

Because, you know, that is exactly what I've missed since D&D 3e came out: not being able to play my preferred character concept in my own escapism because...ehm...well, actually I won't do that because back in the day everybody and their mum did 'training rolls' until the stats halfway met the desired concept anyway. So great design guys, 10 / 10.

I remember putting the first incarnation of this right back into the shelf in disgusted disappointment, because any designer who, in the first pages of rules, brings back exactly the wrong elements of 'old school feel' and ignores 20 years of advancements in rpgs isn't worth any further time. And sadly nothing in this review makes me rethink my decision.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
BareHope said:
Do they still have the character creation where you roll each stat randomly because it "helps the old school feel"?

Because, you know, that is exactly what I've missed since D&D 3e came out: not being able to play my preferred character concept in my own escapism because...ehm...well, actually I won't do that because back in the day everybody and their mum did 'training rolls' until the stats halfway met the desired concept anyway. So great design guys, 10 / 10.

I remember putting the first incarnation of this right back into the shelf in disgusted disappointment, because any designer who, in the first pages of rules, brings back exactly the wrong elements of 'old school feel' and ignores 20 years of advancements in rpgs isn't worth any further time. And sadly nothing in this review makes me rethink my decision.
Box 1 had old-school rolls, while Box 2 added a point-spending system. Both versions are included in the core book for players to choose from.

There's actually quite a few optional mechanics players can pick and choose from - for example, you can have any player who completes the Grey Warden Joining "succeed" automatically, or there's a random death roll to keep the risk factor high. Each group can decide which style works for their particular campaign.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
JayDeth said:
Yes, but can we RIDE the dragons?
What's wrong with me, that I never considered this option?

According to the lore, I doubt the dragons would allow it - but there are mounted combat rules....