Skin Trade - "Human Trafficking is Bad"

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Skin Trade - "Human Trafficking is Bad"

Skin Trade wouldn't have felt out-of-place being released direct-to-VHS in the mid-1990s. That's not a good thing.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
Can we talk about the fact that Dolph Lundgren is supposed to be our All-American hero and Ron Perlman is the evil foreigner?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Can we talk about the fact that Dolph Lundgren is supposed to be our All-American hero and Ron Perlman is the evil foreigner?
I myself have sort of wondered this over the years (not just here) given that what made Dolph famous was playing the bad guy in "Rocky IV". I would have thought he would have gone on to having a massive career as a bad guy after that since his "I will break you" bit was more iconic than anything else he's done since. He tried to go the route of other 80s and 90s era action heroes but never seemed to be able to make it work out that well for him, despite being given numerous attempts, when really if he had decided to play a bad guy he could probably have done better and probably made a lot of other movies a lot better by giving the protagonist someone decent to fight at the end. That said he has made a decent number of movies, so there is that. When he played the bad guy again in the first "Universal Soldier" I kind of thought he was on the verge of learning what he was best at since that movie greatly benefitted from having two dudes going at it, both of whom could do a good action scene.

As far as Ron Perlman being the bad guy goes, it's what he excels at I think. He's done a number of heroic roles, but when it comes to an over the top villain, few people do it better. That said before he gets too old I would like to see him do a version of "Taken" or "RED" as the tough old guy out to kick butt and forget to take names doing it. That and do a final "Hellboy" before he just gets too old to do the job even with extensive makeup.

As a villain, I kind of thought Ron was such a quintessential B-movie bad guy that they would have tapped him to be an evil mastermind for "The Expendables" long before now. His choreography isn't as good as a lot of the people who do those movies, but he can sell being a devastating brawler pretty well.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Looks awesome! Finally Tony Jaa has a role where he's not some semi-homeless wanderer looking for his stolen elephant/buddha... Unless we find out one of the girls being taken is his elephant/buddha...

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Haha, that would be a bit of a twist. I love some Ron Perlman. He can totally steal a scene and just chew on his moment in the spotlight. I love it. Can we talk about how Dolph Lundgren is a genius though, and had Fullbright to MIT???

Jiggle Counter said:
Looks awesome! Finally Tony Jaa has a role where he's not some semi-homeless wanderer looking for his stolen elephant/buddha... Unless we find out one of the girls being taken is his elephant/buddha...
Yah, I don't know. Tony Jaa is so physically unique and skilled as he displayed in Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong; but due to less than stellar subsequent direction, poor screen plays, and even worse scripts, his more recent movies are almost a chore to watch. I completely checked out about midway through Ong Back 2. And I can't remember one single scene in the entire Tom Yum Goong sequel. The charm, innovation and even brutality (as far as martial arts action flicks go) of his first two major features have - at least, in my opinion - been completely eclipsed by the work of Iko Uwais et al in Merantau, The Raid, and The Raid 2: Berandal. All of which seem to show a trend of improvement rather than regression. I do think Tony Jaa is great - I'd just love to seem him in better material.