Enhanced Dragon Quest VIII Coming to 3DS

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Enhanced Dragon Quest VIII Coming to 3DS

Square Enix has announced a new 3DS port of Dragon Quest VIII complete with fresh scenarios and new, fully-voiced party members.

Back in 2013, Square Enix announced that it would be porting Dragon Quest I-VIII <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128504-Dragon-Quest-I-VIII-Coming-to-Japanese-iOS-Android>to iOS and Android. It was a welcome move that left many fans of the beloved role-playing franchise itching to give their favorite entries <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130167-Dragon-Quest-VIII-Goes-Mobile-in-New-Trailer>another go. Now, it appears as though 3DS owners will be given a similar opportunity to retread Dragon Quest VIII. Square Enix has announced plans to bring a new version of the PS2 RPG to the handheld, complete with an impressive collection of fresh content.

The publisher announced the new port on a Japanese language web page showcasing the game and detailing the planned content. Among those will be new party members, new scenarios, a musical score recorded by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra and support for the 3DS's StreetPass feature. The new party members will include a female thief named Garda and Morrie, a character who previously appeared in the spin-off title Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road. Both characters will have full voice acting. The game itself is currently set to release in Japan later this summer on August 27th.

The big question, of course, is whether or not the new 3DS version will also make its way to gamers in North America and Europe. While Dragon Quest has never been as big of a hit in those markets as in its native Japan, there are still plenty of fans who would love a chance to play an enhanced edition of one of the franchise's best-regarded entries. We've reached out to Square Enix to see if we can get any comment about that.

Source: <a href=http://gematsu.com/2015/05/dragon-quest-viii-remake-coming-3ds>Gematsu

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
StewShearer said:
JCAll said:
We didn't get VII or the last Monsters games, why would we get this.
Because I really, really want it? Isn't that a good enough reason?
Indeed. Please give us this, Square-Enix. Atlus is making money hand over fist with the remakes of the Devil Survivor games, I think this would do so as well. I am SO glad I have a 3DS now! I was before, but I especially am now! You've been screwiing up these past years, Square-Enix. PLEASE release this over here.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
this is one of my favorite games of all time and they're even adding Red and Morie to the party now! Come on SE if any of the games need to make it over it's this one!

I'm still sad over not getting VII and Heroes I don't want to add this one to the list

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Yes, please release this in Europe. DQ8 is my favourite DQ game, replayed it so many times and did the dragon dungeon which was a ***** to do.

Crossing fingers!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I was just thinking about how I'd missed the boat on this game. I'd buy it if they released it here, but they're track record hasn't been the best lately.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
... for 3DS or for the NEW 3DS? Because Xenoblade Chronicles caught me out with that, I'm not gonna get hyped until I know for sure.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
... for 3DS or for the NEW 3DS? Because Xenoblade Chronicles caught me out with that, I'm not gonna get hyped until I know for sure.
This is why Nintendo needs to fire their name maker because that was my first thoughts here too; until I know otherwise, I have zero reason to get excited for this.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Let's hope that I get to choose Jessica this time. I prefer party members over macguffins anyways.

In all seriousness, I'll have to pick this up when it comes out. I've played V and IX and loved them both.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
tippy2k2 said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
This is why Nintendo needs to fire their name maker because that was my first thoughts here too; until I know otherwise, I have zero reason to get excited for this.
As far as I am able to tell from the Japanese sites it will not be New 3DS exclusive, but I might be wrong or they may not have decided yet. There's also the question of if it will make it here or not.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
I hear it has framerate issues on mobile devices. Is the 3DS more powerful than an iPad?
I don't know, it's hard to compare handhelds to tablets because a 3DS only has a little bit of firmware running and the tablets depend on OSs, which use more of the system. I do know this wouldn't be the first time a PS2 game is ported to the 3DS. Tales of the Abyss actually runs a little better on the 3DS thanks to much shorter loading times.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
I hope they bring this new version back to Android and perhaps more importantly, PC. Sadly, Square-Enix has done some lukewarm jobs of bringing some of their properties to Android and PC. Dragon Quest VIII itself on Android for instance, loses voice acting entirely and some other elements in the port. I'm personally rather annoyed that Final Fantasy IV 's Android port included the Japanese audio in the game files, yet was inaccessible unless you set the locale to JP and thus accepted UI/Text in Japanese as well; it would have taken only a few moments to code in an option to allow users to choice either voice language! Sadly, this paradigm continued into the PC version of the port as well.

Square Enix has been repackaging some of its more beloved titles and selling them, often for what are considered "premium" (ie > $15 ) prices for mobile platforms and best of all, PC. I'm fine with this so long as the "best versions" of the game are made available and the ports are quality work done with care, but that hasn't always been the case. If they're remaking Dragon Quest VIII again, an international release on platforms other than proprietary consoles would be advisable. Some of Square Enix's games are classics that I'd be more than happy to purchase, but not if they're hastily done, halfassed variants with many cut corners.

P.S. - Release Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on Android and PC!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
NPC009 said:
WeepingAngels said:
I hear it has framerate issues on mobile devices. Is the 3DS more powerful than an iPad?
I don't know, it's hard to compare handhelds to tablets because a 3DS only has a little bit of firmware running and the tablets depend on OSs, which use more of the system. I do know this wouldn't be the first time a PS2 game is ported to the 3DS. Tales of the Abyss actually runs a little better on the 3DS thanks to much shorter loading times.
IN comparison though, Tales of the Abyss is unimpressive compared to Dragon Quest VIII, graphically speaking.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
NPC009 said:
WeepingAngels said:
IN comparison though, Tales of the Abyss is unimpressive compared to Dragon Quest VIII, graphically speaking.
I'd rather be worried about that big fat worldmap, than stuff like say, battle animations. The 3DS has a fairly small resolution and some details are going to be lost anyway, but it would really suck if the areas didn't load smoothly.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Huh. Weird. The moment I saw the title of the article I had my Debit card pressed against my computer screen.
I have to go and get another monitor because I destroyed the previous one putting my hand along with my wallet through it. That said, hopefully the two things I would like to happen actually do happen:

1) It's for the "old" 3DS and thus I have the correct platform for the game

2) Japan actually releases this outside of Japan

Please, oh innumerable gaming gods, [insert deity(ies) of choice here] let this be a thing.