Get Your First Look at Supergirl With This 6-Minute Teaser

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Get Your First Look at Supergirl With This 6-Minute Teaser

Supergirl follows the adventures of Kara Danvers - AKA Kara Zor-El - a 24 year-old Kryptonian struggling with her budding superpowers.

Supergirl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137546-DC-Comics-Supergirl-Coming-to-CBS], first announced back in September 2014, is coming to CBS this year, and now we've gotten our first decent look at it. As part of it's Upfront event, CBS has debuted a 6-minute trailer focusing on highlights from Supergirl's pilot episode. The series follows the adventures of Kara Danvers - AKA Kara Zor-El - a 24 year-old Kryptonian cousin of Superman struggling with her budding superpowers.

Arrow and The Flash's Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg are among the new series' executive producers, which is set to premier this November. The trailer shows Kara struggling with her boring office job, as well as dishing out punishment in her Supergirl alter-ego.

The reaction among the internet has been mixed, with many irate fans comparing it to Saturday Night Live's intentionally sexist Black Widow parody [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM], while others applauding the decision to make a show focused entirely on a female superhero.

When we first saw Supergirl's costume [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140037-CBS-Melissa-Benoist-Supergirl-Costume-Revealed], it was also revealed that Helen Slater and Dean Cain, who played Supergirl and Superman respectively in other film and TV projects, had been cast for the pilot, though at the time we didn't know what roles they would be playing. Now, we know that they will be Fred and Sylvia Danvers - Kara's adoptive human parents.

Source: CBS [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo]

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Really the only thing that makes this similar to the Black Widow parody is the job/boss situation she's portrayed as having. It barely has any romantic aspect, certainly not on the same level as the Ultron joke. Also she actually does superhero stuff.
Between those large discrepancies I'd say the comparison is unfair, though on the surface it is unfortunatelyvery tempting to compare them regardless. And people will complain about anything given the opportunity.

Looks cool overall to me. Traditional comic stuff, a bit of chick flick stuff, even the effects don't look too bad.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I don't know where to stand on this one, but overall I did not enjoy this preview. I get this is a female superman, but I don't know why they had to play the girl comedy show angle so hard. Maybe it's just the preview but the tone seems all over the place and it bothers me. I'm not asking for a Dark Knight, but they should have gone for a more serious tone.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
It's really tough to get a read on this. A lot of hit, a lot of miss. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I am so disappointed. I just don't even.

They can't even say her name properly. The costume design is terrible and they should've used the New 52 costume.

She does not have the proper body type, she is not athletic at all, where is the muscle?

Supergirl is supposed to be a "cool" girl, this girl is the polar opposite.

Don't even get me started on the plot itself.

*Sigh*

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I cringed so much that I had to stop watching after she said "oh, come on!" Only the magician named Gob can pull that line off!

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
That was just eurgh. Why do they keep hinting at Superman the entire time, its distracting and takes away from Kara's spotlight I feel. The tone jumps around but I will wait until the show because they may just want to showcasing a wide variety of things. It also feels like they are taking every single female comedy trope in the book and we will wait to see how it turns out. That being said I am not the target audience with this, females are. So if I don't enjoy this series but women do, then there is no issue.

That lesbian line though. Really. I really hope that character ends up being a total sleeze ball later and not just some lame ass trying to get out of the 'friend zone'.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I can't believe that guy is accusing her of being a lesbian.

I hope the show is good, because I'm pretty excited to watch it. Definitely reminds me of the Black Widow SNL stuff, but hopefully we can get a really strong Supergirl that anyone can appreciate.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
"Intentionally HILARIOUS" Black Widow parody, you mean.

And yes, it's kind of similar. But then, what do people expect from gender-flipping Clark Kent? That's all this seems to be, with added sister for some of that sisterhood. And obnoxiously po-mo wink-wink "knowing" about it too.

See, this is what happens when people go "Why can't character X be a GIRL for a change?" and some clueless network exec takes them at their misguided word. As opposed to creating a superheroine in her own right. It ain't super.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
008Zulu said:
Yan007 said:
I don't know why they had to play the girl comedy show angle so hard.
Might have something to do with the negative backlash the recent Superman movie generated.
This, combined with the fact that The Flash all so has a lighter, slightly comedic bent to it and has been pulling in over 3.5 million on the CW suggests people want more light-hearted superheroes.

Overall I enjoyed the trailer. Found bits of it pretty funny and really glad it looks as if they're skipping the whole "keep secret from friends" crap that drags these stories down. Will definitely keep an eye out for it in the autumn.

murrayb67

Sep 3, 2014
I don't read DC, but people who do have said this is actually tonally faithful to the comics. Although, she's apparently going under the name Kara Danvers instead of Linda Danvers (comic alias) which should cause for some confusion when Captain Marvel comes out.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
StatusNil said:

And yes, it's kind of similar. But then, what do people expect from gender-flipping Clark Kent? That's all this seems to be, with added sister for some of that sisterhood. And obnoxiously po-mo wink-wink "knowing" about it too.

See, this is what happens when people go "Why can't character X be a GIRL for a change?" and some clueless network exec takes them at their misguided word. As opposed to creating a superheroine in her own right. It ain't super.
You know supergirl has been a character for about six decades, right?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I might watch a few episodes but it does not look like it's targeted at me.

I applaud the risk and "investment" they're making into stereotypical female viewers to get them into the DC scene.

If it works, it'll be great... if it fails, be prepared for even more status quo.

I mean, this is WB trying REALLY hard to pander to females. If it doesn't pull through I don't know how long it'll be until another company attempts similar.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
mrverbal said:
StatusNil said:

You know supergirl has been a character for about six decades, right?
Nope, in my ignorance I thought it was more like five and a half decades. Which I don't think is particularly relevant to what this show is obviously doing, which pretty much amounts to a "what if Clark Kent was, like, a total GIRL?" thing. That's old comedy cliche territory.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Did anyone notice that they kinda avoided saying the word "Superman" in that trailer? Is this going to be like in Flash and Arrow where they just danced around the fact that Batman might exist in the same universe?

Captcha: the extra mile

Indeed, captcha.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
I'd call this playing it too safe and "been there, done that" on TV dramas
Would rather have seen a PowerGirl series or the Huntress.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
murrayb67 said:
I don't read DC, but people who do have said this is actually tonally faithful to the comics. Although, she's apparently going under the name Kara Danvers instead of Linda Danvers (comic alias) which should cause for some confusion when Captain Marvel comes out.
Kara was the original Supergirl who was killed off in Crisis on Infinite Earths (and later revived blah blah blah comics are weird things happened).

Linda Danvers was a new Supergirl introduced in the late 90s, fused with a Supergirl created by Lex Luthor, named Matrix, from an alternative universe, unfused, meet the Kara Supergirl, things happened and she was basically put on the shelf until a short appearance later on in another unrelated series and hasn't been heard from since. COMICS!