8 Games that Fundamentally Changed Gaming

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Fundamentally Changed Gaming

These eight games were not only great, they made changes to the industry that persist today.

Read Full Article

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Interesting that half of them are First Person Shooters.

I would add Metal Gear Solid, as now we have a stealth section in every other game. It also got people throwing the term cinematic around a lot more.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fair enough. Still, their writing sure didn't.

"That was too close. You were almost a 'Jill sandwich'."

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Johnlives said:
Interesting that half of them are First Person Shooters.
I agree where's Final Fantasy VII? Love it or hate it, that's the game that got most westerners into JRPGS and made that genre a cinematic, eye candy fest. Where's Dune 2, Warcraft classic or one of the other early RTSes? I wish something else was on here, besides Modern Warfare 1, just to balance out the genres a little.

American Tanker said:
One big thing to ask here: You have Halo on the list, but not Goldeneye?

What's up with that?
Goldeneye 64 was the most popular console FPS until Halo came along, but Halo did popularize a lot of things, and its franchise continues to this day, while, regrettably, no one will likely make a worthy successor to Goldeneye 64. Halo's two biggest influences, IMHO, were selling xboxes (reassuring MS that the 360 is worth making and building up some brand recognition for it) and the LAN connectivity, which later brought more players into online console gaming.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Speaking of CoD 4, want so see something extremely polarizing? Watch Yahtzee's ZP of Modern Warfare. It's so weird to to hear "Modern Warfare" and "good" in the same ZP video, forget about "really good".

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I can agree with most of the list. I'd have to mention Ultima 7 though. Ultima 7 really brought together all of the elements we expect in the open world rpg. Party system (followers, companions, that sort of thing) check. Dialogue trees, check. Open world exploration, check. Questing and quest givers, check. Inventory management and limited inventory space, check. It was really the earliest and most wide spread grandfather of games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, the Black Isle rpg's, even things like the Bioware rpg's have elements that first came together in Ultima 7.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Am I the only one who noticed at least three typos in the article? One in Super Mario (where 3 snuck in where it didn't belong), one in Call Of Duty (a Semicolon decided to rewrite the word single) and one in Doom (now it's called DOom. Pronounced Do-om.)

That distracts me too much to agree on the whole list entirely. Maybe I would have swapped the order a bit and go by release date (rising of falling), but the content? Yeah, totally.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bindal said:
Am I the only one who noticed at least three typos in the article? One in Super Mario (where 3 snuck in where it didn't belong), one in Call Of Duty (a Semicolon decided to rewrite the word single) and one in Doom (now it's called DOom. Pronounced Do-om.)

That distracts me too much to agree on the whole list entirely. Maybe I would have swapped the order a bit and go by release date (rising of falling), but the content? Yeah, totally.
I'm not going to talk about how much foul language I just used. I think I uploaded the wrong version.

I mean, what typos? I don't see these in there anmywhere! *waves hands*

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
I would argue for Super Street Fighter II being on the list seeing as how it invented the modern idea of the fighting game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ffronw said:
I'm not going to talk about how much foul language I just used. I think I uploaded the wrong version.
I mean, what typos? I don't see these in there anmywhere! *waves hands*
Well, for Mario, one could have said that the 3 would have been a funny played on the whole 3D thing.
Also, just for irony sake...
ffronw said:
anmywhere!
*whistles cheerfully* My job here is done.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
I'm curious about the omission of Elite, all 22 K of it, & perhaps less so about Thief since that seems to be routinely overlooked on lists like this. I'd certainly argue that games like Defender or Space Ace were pioneering in the literal sense of the word too.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Still not sure what Halo did that Goldeneye didn't.

Depressing as it is... list needs more Bejeweled. Gaming definitively hasn't been the same since; it's the model for the pick-up-put-down mobile focused games, it redefined what a gamer was allowing for the existence of the Wii, its shockwaves still affect the industry today.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I would have probably included "Command and Conquer", and maybe "Warcraft 2" as well. Both were basically responsible for the massive explosion of RTS games in the 90's. True the trend has sort of died out now that Starcraft 2 runs the show, but you can't deny their influence.

I know it's still something of niche genre, but I'd also nominate "Baldur's Gate", which pretty much saved the CRPG genre.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why so many shooters on such a short list? Doom would've been enough as it was the most influential shooter (There is a reason FPSs used to be known as Doom Clones).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Here's another wondering what business Halo has of sitting up there without Goldeneye. LAN play was certainly a Halo first, but you could play Goldeneye with two sticks, too.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
American Tanker said:
One big thing to ask here: You have Halo on the list, but not Goldeneye?

What's up with that?
Goldeneye was revolutionary, but the industry didn't go all crazy and went to fill that console generation with shooters.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Goldeneye introduced twin analog controls into console shooters, AFAIK.

It wasn't the standard control scheme (the game had 8) and because of the n64's controllers, you had to use 2 of them together, but it still, is in essence the core of the idea.