Hit RPG Apocalypse World is Getting a Second Edition

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Hit RPG Apocalypse World is Getting a Second Edition

The seminal "Powered by the Apocalypse" game is getting a fresh coat of radioactive ash.

Exceedingly influential roleplaying game Google+ Post with everything she's excited about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/apocalypse%20world?os=apocalypse+world] in the new edition, including:

[blockquote]
-streamlined combat system
-streamlined Hx section
-shuffling the basic playbooks around
-expanded vehicular combat section, specifically the bits about terrain dangers
-getting our hands all over every page again and making new bloody fingerprints
-the way everything starts looking like AW to me; hello Mr. Stark, I see you are a Savvyhead.
-Right now, 2nd Ed playbooks are:
The Angel, the Battlebabe, the Brainer, the Chopper, the Driver, the Gunlugger, the Hardholder, the Hocus, the Maestro'd, the Quarantine, the Savvyhead, and the Skinner. Some other 1st ed playbooks might get 2nd ed versions, and there might be some new 2nd ed playbooks. 
[/blockquote]

She also stated the timeline to the edition's release to be something more akin to "weeks or months" - but not years.

From Meguey's comments, it seems like the basic character archetypes of the game - the playbooks - are getting some shuffling and rearranging, and the game's sometimes confusing systems for resolving physical violence are also being made more understandable. Given the recent release of Mad Max: Fury Road, and original Apocalypse World's debt to that particular vision of the world's end, it's no surprise to see "Vehicular Combat" being a focus of the new edition.

The first edition of Apocalypse World was hugely influential in the narrative roleplaying game community, and its quantification of player actions into discrete "moves" went on to spawn numerous successors, some more successful than others. Hit 2013 games Dungeon World and Monsterhearts both used the same game engine - what D. Vincent Baker calls being "Powered by the Apocalypse." More generally much of the game's self-contained nature, like characters and rules being explainable on a one-page sheet to players, has shown up in other recent roleplaying games. The basics of the system revolve around rolling two six sided dice and adding a small number, but hinge on the idea that characters never quite get everything they want out of a situation. Characters are also highly differentiated, often using unique, asymmetrical mechanics to interact with the world around them. If you're curious about Apocalypse world, you can go see it at the game's official site. [http://apocalypse-world.com/]

There's not yet news on how development of a second edition of Apocalypse World will effect development on announced as being in development early last year. [] We reached out to the Bakers for comment and we'll update you once we know.

D. Vincent and Meguey Baker are a couple, though they usually publish their games separately and promote them together. Meguey Baker as Lumpley Games [http://www.nightskygames.com/], known for not just Apocalypse World, but also Dogs in the Vineyard and In A Wicked Age, as well as the notorious kill puppies for satan.

Jan 12, 2012
Colour me interested. AW is one of my favourite games (I've actually made a cyberpunk hack of it) and I'm really curious about what they'd change. The only real problems I've seen over a number of campaigns/one-shots is that the Driver can be kind of tricky (you have to keep checking your car stats and adding those modifiers) and that late-game characters tend to have a lot of cruft (but most AW campaigns are short, so that rarely comes up). It seemed like a system that, if not perfect, was self-contained and solid enough to never need another edition.

For the Hx section, I imagine that they want to add the Secrets rule that cropped up on the forums, but I don't see how much it can be streamlined, given how bare-bones it is already (a couple descriptions you hand out at the start of the campaign, a modifier for each player relationship, and changing one modifier each at the end of a session).

Similarly, the combat system is already very simple if you don't use the optional initiative system; there's one move for hurting someone, and Acting Under Fire for everything else. Personally, I never found it confusing at all.

A bit sad to see the Operator go: they were a decent catch-all for everything from the last musicians in The Last of Us to a blimp shuttle service, but I guess they lack the distinct flavour of other playbooks. Here's hoping Vincent strikes a deal with some of the authors who have produced scads of playbooks (collected at http://nerdwerds.blogspot.ca/2012/12/all-of-playbooks.html), including some greats like The Juggernaut and the Heralds of Hell. They might be better as supplemental stuff, though; Even the Quarantine is very strong in influencing the flavour of the Apocalypse and Maelstrom.

So I'm excited, and curious, and really hoping this doesn't delay AW Dark Ages.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
AW is, somehow, one of these games I've never had a chance to play. Keep meaning too but with a bit of luck the 2nd ed release will spell some games running at the local club to try.