Mad Max Director Reveals Name of Planned Fury Road Sequel

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mad Max Director Reveals Name of Planned Fury Road Sequel

Director George Miller says that plenty of material already exists to expand the new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mad%20max?os=mad+max>Mad Max film franchise.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mad%20max%20fury%20road?os=mad+max+fury+road>Mad Max: Fury Road drove into theaters over the weekend and both critics and moviegoers alike seem to have come to the uniform conclusion that it's one of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/13924-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Review>the greatest action movies ever made. Filled to the brim with insane action and luscious visuals, it's been hailed across the board as a game changer for action cinema. The big question that follows these sort of rave reviews, of course, is when we can expect a sequel. Luckily for fans, director George Miller is already raring to make more Mad Max and even has a title lined up for Fury Road's successor.

Speaking in a recent Q&A, Miller revealed that the sequel to Fury Road will be called Mad Max: The Wasteland. Miller would go on to affirm however, that actual work on the film is currently limited just to planning, much of which was born itself from the long process of making Fury Road a reality. "We've got a screenplay and a novella," he said. "It happened because with the delays [on Fury Road], and writing all the back stories, they just expanded."

Fury Road was originally supposed to start filming back in 2001. It was unfortunately postponed by the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York City which led to a whole plate of logistical problems for its production and the film industry at large. Shortly after that, Mel Gibson, who had originally been planning to reprise his classic role as the titular Max, had his infamous drunken meltdown and had to be recast. According to Miller, Heath Ledger had originally been favored to replace Gibson, but obviously wasn't able to due to his tragic death in 2008. In other words, before we start pining after The Wasteland, we should consider ourselves lucky that Fury Road even exists.

Source: <a href=http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-he-courted-heath-ledger-to-lead-mad-max-in-2006-reveals-title-for-fury-road-sequel-20150518>Indie Wire

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
critics and moviegoers alike seem to have come to the uniform conclusion that it's one of the greatest action movies ever made.
Wait, what? Really? *Googles* Did I see a different movie than everyone else? I love action movies, even ones that are otherwise bad except for the action. I figured at most, I was simply not the target audience for the 'style' as opposed to most of the people saying they liked it.

Without that inclination to enjoy the aesthetic of the film, the plot is barely interesting and the closest thing to an interesting action sequence happens off-screen.

But "one of the greatest action movies"? Are people fucking kidding? If the internet wasn't here to encourage pointless ranting I'd have forgotten it existed by next week.

*leaves to pout in spite of majority opinion*

Also, I'd forgotten how mumbly Tom Hardy was. I'd been thinking it was just a Bane issue.

And to clarify, don't take my tone as suggesting it was a bad movie, I didn't think that. More than anything I just thought it was an okay but completely forgettable movie and am just bewildered by the 'best movie ever' stuff going around.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jadak said:
Without that inclination to enjoy the aesthetic of the film, the plot is barely interesting and the closest thing to an interesting action sequence happens off-screen.
What was so uninteresting about the action sequences? I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I haven't seen such vivid and lush explosions and such respect for action choreography and cinematography in quite a while. Though Kingsman had some kick-ass scenes as well.

Also, the fact that it happened off-screen was quite a poignant, visual way of expanding Max's character (insofar characters were expanded); for him all this shit is pretty much routine by now, after three movies.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Jadak said:
Wait, what? Really? *Googles* Did I see a different movie than everyone else? I love action movies, even ones that are otherwise bad except for the action. I figured at most, I was simply not the target audience for the 'style' as opposed to most of the people saying they liked it.
I mean, it sounds like you just hate things that are wonderful. I think this movie might be too good for you.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Jadak said:
critics and moviegoers alike seem to have come to the uniform conclusion that it's one of the greatest action movies ever made.

But "one of the greatest action movies"? Are people fucking kidding? If the internet wasn't here to encourage pointless ranting I'd have forgotten it existed by next week.

*leaves to pout in spite of majority opinion*

Also, I'd forgotten how mumbly Tom Hardy was. I'd been thinking it was just a Bane issue.

And to clarify, don't take my tone as suggesting it was a bad movie, I didn't think that. More than anything I just thought it was an okay but completely forgettable movie and am just bewildered by the 'best movie ever' stuff going around.

I'm inclined to agree.

My summary of the movie: "spoilers" below. Also, it seems I dont know how to use spoiler tags :\

[spoilers]we see a man standing by his car, strange voices (ok, plot building...)*BAM*! Action, cars, gas, capture, more cars, more action, betrayal, more cars, more action, more action while in a storm, waking up, more action, exploding mountain, old ladies, turning around to do it all over again, stupid ending.[/spoilers]

The action scenes are mostly great. But there is nothing but that. There is the minorest of plots in the movie, and I got the feeling there was about 20% of the dialogue of a regular movie, at most.

While the actors were convincing, they really didnt have any roles to play.

I enjoyed the movie for its relentless world and non-stop action, but I get the feeling that I'll have forgotten about it pretty soon.

One of my all-time favorite action movie is Face-Off. Face-Off has great acting, a cool plot, fantastic action scenes and beautiful music and a wonderful tension. To say that Mad Max even comes close to this...is in my opinion an insult to great action movies everywhere.

Is it good? Sure. Is it great? Not a chance.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
*looks at comments above* Has the internet backlash already begun on this one? How time flies.

OT: Take a breather Miller, you just made one of if not the best action thrill ride ever at the age of 70. Though if I were him I'd probably wanna keep that buzz going, too.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
*looks at comments above* Has the internet backlash already begun on this one? How time flies.

OT: Take a breather Miller, you just made one of if not the best action thrill ride ever at the age of 70. Though if I were him I'd probably wanna keep that buzz going, too.
Honestly I feel like Hollywood has trained people to like crap movies; everybody wants their plots delivered exclusively via exposition dump. That the utterly brilliant and subtle visual storytelling demonstrated in this film can fly right over these guys' heads is just a tragedy.

Also lol at that guy who just compared this movie to fucking Face/Off.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kontarek said:
Casual Shinji said:

Honestly I feel like Hollywood has trained people to like crap movies; everybody wants their plots delivered exclusively via exposition dump. That the utterly brilliant and subtle visual storytelling demonstrated in this film can fly right over these guys' heads is just a tragedy.

The thing is, even if we just got the plot that we did and nothing else, this movie would've still been incredible. But it's all those little lore and cultural details peppered throughout the movie that makes it flipping brilliant. And like you said, it does it by using the visuals, not the dialoge.

Oh, how I've missed you, big epic, action blockbuster.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Kontarek said:
Casual Shinji said:

The thing is, even if we just got the plot that we did and nothing else, this movie would've still been incredible. But it's all those little lore and cultural details peppered throughout the movie that makes it flipping brilliant. And like you said, it does it by using the visuals, not the dialoge.

Oh, how I've missed you, big epic, action blockbuster.
Something I picked up on - though something I admit Mark Kermode may have stated prior to me seeing the film - is the general lack of focus on Max himself. He is certainly not a sideline character, but as was the case for at least the second and third original films, Max was the interloper just trying to survive in a situation where he wasn't expected to.

The narrative was ultimately Furiosa's, who was an utterly superb character and performance. The plot was obliquely there, which is an odd departure from action movies; a genre that tries to make the plot as clear and as obvious as possible so it doesn't get in the way of the action. You didn't have to look for it, but Miller didn't spoonfeed it to you. He assumed that audience was smart enough, which I like.

I like to think that this is in fact the Mad Max Miller wanted to make all those years ago: absurd, abrupt, cruel, high-octane and mad.

Aug 1, 2010
So ignoring the utterly predictable backlash to the utterly predictable backlash against the completely unpredictable success of the movie...

That's fantastic that they want to do it. The trouble now is getting the studio to sign on. As awesome as the movie was, it failed to beat Pitch Perfect 2 and failed to even make back its budget, much less make a profit.

Now I know, I know, the studio system is crazy complex and the budgets and misreported and there's DVD sales and whatnot, but the fact stands: Mad Max failed to make a pile of money, which is pretty much the only thing considered success these days.

I hope to everything that is holy that a sequel can happen though.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
So ignoring the utterly predictable backlash to the utterly predictable backlash against the completely unpredictable success of the movie...

That's fantastic that they want to do it. The trouble now is getting the studio to sign on. As awesome as the movie was, it failed to beat Pitch Perfect 2 and failed to even make back its budget, much less make a profit.

Now I know, I know, the studio system is crazy complex and the budgets and misreported and there's DVD sales and whatnot, but the fact stands: Mad Max failed to make a pile of money, which is pretty much the only thing considered success these days.

The movie's barely been out a week and has seemingly made 115 million worldwide as of the 18th of May(Assuming Box Office Mojo is somewhat trustworthy). I'd hardly call it a complete loss already for a movie that's part of a franchise that was dead for 30 years to almost beat the sequel to a hit teen movie that was released the same weekend.

I'm guessing it'll turn a moderate profit eventually, though not exactly Avengers levels of dosh.

Aug 1, 2010
jurnag12 said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:

The movie's barely been out a week and has seemingly made 115 million worldwide as of the 18th of May(Assuming Box Office Mojo is somewhat trustworthy). I'd hardly call it a complete loss already for a movie that's part of a franchise that was dead for 30 years to almost beat the sequel to a hit teen movie that was released the same weekend.

I'm guessing it'll turn a moderate profit eventually, though not exactly Avengers levels of dosh.
Oh sure, any other movie and that would be awesome, but apparently the thing cost somewhere in the range of 150 mil.

With the theaters taking their cut, movies these days need to not just make back their budget, but make significantly more than that just to break even.

On the other hand, it is the kind of movie that picks up steam quite nicely. A few people see it when it first releases since its all weird and R rated and a sequel to an 80s movie, but then in subsequent weekends everyone has heard how great it is and it only grows. Hopefully that will be the case.