Free Cities: Skylines Patch Adds a Boatload of New Content

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Free Cities: Skylines Patch Adds a Boatload of New Content

Cities: Skylines patch 1.10 adds over 50 new European-style buildings.

patch 1.1.0 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cities%20skylines?os=cities+skylines], a massive, free, update that adds over 50 new buildings and a bunch of other stuff.

"Today we are proud and excited to bring you our first large content update: Cities: Skylines 1.1.0 - European Theme. This update is, as promised, totally free to all our players - current and future," said Colossal Order.

The list of new features added in 1.1.0 includes:

Over 50 European style buildings
Wall-to-wall buildings enabling players to build those European streets and neighborhoods
Three new starter maps
Tunnels, one of the community's most requested features
A number of Asset Editor additions including the ability to import custom vehicles
A multitude of smaller cosmetic additions and bug fixes.

Check out some screenshots of those gorgeous new European buildings below:

[gallery=4168]

"Cities: Skylines will continue to follow the traditions set by other recent Paradox releases such as Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV of paid expansions combined with large updates of free content ensuring that all players, whether they choose to purchase the expansions or not, will have plenty of new features to look forward to. One of the major differences, however, between those titles and Cities: Skylines will be that minor DLC updates will be uncommon. The majority of content updates will be significant upgrades and additions," wrote Colossal's brand manager.

Furthermore, while the new patch will probably break a whole bunch of mods until modders scramble to update them, Colossal stated that "Going forward we aim to find a solution where we can work with our core modders pre-launch to give them ample time to adjust their creations before the public have access."

The update should download automatically the next time you load the game.

Source: Colossal Games [https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/content-update-1-1-0-is-live-on-retail.856707/]

List

Sep 29, 2013
Love this game! Still haven't stopped playing it since release. My city really needed those tunnels.

Why can't I stop imagining an EA big-wig shaking his head saying "but... but you can charge at least 20$ for those..."

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Okay.. enough already Cities: Skylines. No one likes a show-off. You beat Sim CIty... then Beat them with their own tears and then *****-slapped them. Now you're just beatinbg a dead horse... a hhorse that died from all the beatings it got.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Wow, now I want to purchase the game on principle despite not being able to run it on my toaster of a machine. Such consumer-friendly behavior is to be lauded in this day and age.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I've been hearing so much buzz about this game, and most of it has actually been praise rather than just an excuse to bash the last sim city.

I'm starting to think it might be fun. Plus, I love free content.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Wow, now I want to purchase the game on principle despite not being able to run it on my toaster of a machine. Such consumer-friendly behavior is to be lauded in this day and age.
Paradox is awesome.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
You see this EA? This is how you make money. Make a product that people want and they will be generous when you do sell DLC because they will be happy with the end product.

Also good PR helps sell games.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
This game doesn't really need more content, but more depth. There is literally nothing to do after you hit a few ten thousands of citizens except just keep building. It saddens me that the ten year old game Simcity 4 has a lot more depth to it. The only thing Skylines really is is a (very much flawed) traffic jam simulator. Which is a shame because it could be so much more.

Then again, it's cheap and you can get quite a few hours of gameplay out of it before getting bored.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That's some awesome shit right there.

Meanwhile, it sounds nitpicky but I gotta say; where's my environmentally friendly way of getting rid of trash?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Cowabungaa said:

Meanwhile, it sounds nitpicky but I gotta say; where's my environmentally friendly way of getting rid of trash?
Recycling Center mods. Helps with rubbish.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Nimcha said:
This game doesn't really need more content, but more depth. There is literally nothing to do after you hit a few ten thousands of citizens except just keep building. It saddens me that the ten year old game Simcity 4 has a lot more depth to it. The only thing Skylines really is is a (very much flawed) traffic jam simulator. Which is a shame because it could be so much more.

Then again, it's cheap and you can get quite a few hours of gameplay out of it before getting bored.
It's a double edged sword though. If you want SC4 style gameplay where you have to successfully juggle demand across different areas and build up to stuff like high tech industry and skyscrapers, then yeah, it doesn't compare. But that same kind of gameplay gets in the way when you just want to design and build the city of your dreams. That's what makes Cities Skylines fun, it doesn't cramp your style the way some city builders do.

It would be good if they made twiddling with policies and the budget actually achieve something - that's the area most crying out for extra depth. It would also be cool if SC4's system of differing wealth residents with pyramidal distribution was worked in there somehow. And income management needs to actually be challenging after about 20k pop - you forget about it altogether as it is.

But I dispute that playing with traffic is boring. This game's traffic is fantastic and captivating, and it literally affects everything you do. Striving towards building a city with smooth traffic and effective public transport can only happen if you think about how, where and why you zone as you do it. It's easy to get frustrated at traffic problems but I've seen people build cities of over 100k pop with no major traffic jams. That's what keeps me going, because the next area I zone in the game could upset the delicate balance of transport capacity I've cultivated and require corrective surgery in the form of new PT, roads, restructured zones, services etc to keep things working. It's seriously addictive.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whelp, that's it. R.I.P. SimCity as an IP.

Can't wait to see what EA IP is going to be done better by some other company next.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Parasondox said:
Cowabungaa said:

Recycling Center mods. Helps with rubbish.
Ahh yes, how could I forget. Mods, another reason why this game rocks so much.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
List said:
Why can't I stop imagining an EA big-wig shaking his head saying "but... but you can charge at least 20$ for those..."
Mmmmm that's my kind of talk. Tell me more about the crying EA executives. Slowly.

[sub] Guess I'll be playing that some tonight [/sub]

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Nimcha said:

It's a double edged sword though. If you want SC4 style gameplay where you have to successfully juggle demand across different areas and build up to stuff like high tech industry and skyscrapers, then yeah, it doesn't compare. But that same kind of gameplay gets in the way when you just want to design and build the city of your dreams. That's what makes Cities Skylines fun, it doesn't cramp your style the way some city builders do.

It would be good if they made twiddling with policies and the budget actually achieve something - that's the area most crying out for extra depth. It would also be cool if SC4's system of differing wealth residents with pyramidal distribution was worked in there somehow. And income management needs to actually be challenging after about 20k pop - you forget about it altogether as it is.

But I dispute that playing with traffic is boring. This game's traffic is fantastic and captivating, and it literally affects everything you do. Striving towards building a city with smooth traffic and effective public transport can only happen if you think about how, where and why you zone as you do it. It's easy to get frustrated at traffic problems but I've seen people build cities of over 100k pop with no major traffic jams. That's what keeps me going, because the next area I zone in the game could upset the delicate balance of transport capacity I've cultivated and require corrective surgery in the form of new PT, roads, restructured zones, services etc to keep things working. It's seriously addictive.
My main problem with the traffic is that it behaves in a totally unrealistic and unhelpful way. I managed to build a large city without traffic problems too but that's precisely because the traffic is so flawed. Once you figure out the trick to how stupid the traffic behaves there's not much else to discover.

Not to mention that my fast growing city eventually grinded to a halt because there were about a million hearses clogging the roads. Every sim lives exactly as long as the next one so when you grow fast there will come a time when the demise of that babyboom will destroy your city.

A lot of mods fix some of these problems and I will certainly grant you that the sandbox mode works pretty well. But then again, after hitting 100k, what else is there to do? The only thing you can do is keep zoning. There's not enough variation.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Nimcha said:
My main problem with the traffic is that it behaves in a totally unrealistic and unhelpful way. I managed to build a large city without traffic problems too but that's precisely because the traffic is so flawed. Once you figure out the trick to how stupid the traffic behaves there's not much else to discover.

Not to mention that my fast growing city eventually grinded to a halt because there were about a million hearses clogging the roads. Every sim lives exactly as long as the next one so when you grow fast there will come a time when the demise of that babyboom will destroy your city.

A lot of mods fix some of these problems and I will certainly grant you that the sandbox mode works pretty well. But then again, after hitting 100k, what else is there to do? The only thing you can do is keep zoning. There's not enough variation.
Yeah, the death waves are probably my biggest gripe with the game. I hope they patch that soon.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Lightknight said:
Whelp, that's it. R.I.P. SimCity as an IP.

Can't wait to see what EA IP is going to be done better by some other company next.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no...
EA has to play with the carcass for a while in the F2P mobile market.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well thats quite great. free content like that is always welcome in my game :) Very nice for Paradox to continue being the nice people.