Trauma, Healing and Gaming Part 3: The Art and Science of PTSD

Liana Kerzner

May 6, 2015
Trauma, Healing and Gaming Part 3: The Art and Science of PTSD

In part three of our four-part series, we look at the art and science of PTSD through the technology of video games.

Read Full Article

Dark Wraith

Nov 26, 2014
Heads up: The banner on the front page says "part 2". I thought you were reprinting last week's, at first.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Another thought-provoking article. I've always wondered personally whether VR technology was really useful or practical with those who have PTS, seeing something on a screen is one thing but actually immersing yourself more "realistically" into the situation I would think might be another.

The recent season of Sword Art Online covered this idea in detail, with a young woman with a paralyzing fear of guns due to PTS goes into a full-dive VR environment all about guns. That arc was rightfully criticized and may have burned some of its good by ending it very badly, but I suppose the part about VR environments helping those with PTS isn't total fiction or unrealistic.

Looking forward to more detailed, thought-provoking commentary in the next article.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Dark Wraith said:
Heads up: The banner on the front page says "part 2". I thought you were reprinting last week's, at first.
Wonder how that happened?? It's fixed, though. Thanks for the heads up.

cainejw

Sep 6, 2008
hentropy said:
Another thought-provoking article. I've always wondered personally whether VR technology was really useful or practical with those who have PTS, seeing something on a screen is one thing but actually immersing yourself more "realistically" into the situation I would think might be another.

The recent season of Sword Art Online covered this idea in detail, with a young woman with a paralyzing fear of guns due to PTS goes into a full-dive VR environment all about guns. That arc was rightfully criticized and may have burned some of its good by ending it very badly, but I suppose the part about VR environments helping those with PTS isn't total fiction or unrealistic.

Looking forward to more detailed, thought-provoking commentary in the next article.
It most certainly does! Video games have a lot of application to therapy. Unfortunately, there is a generational divide. There are many out there who believe that therapy should fit within a specific model that reflects a Freudian model -- sit at the desk, ask questions, process through the problem. It privileges communication and works only in that modality. However, we are seeing that change with new theories of practice such as play therapy, EMDR, acceptance and commitment therapy, strengths-based models, and brief solution-focused models. Many times, newer therapists are much more open to using resources like iPads, consoles, virtual reality, etc. They are used to the integration these can provide between experience, engagement, and therapy.

Virtual reality could really help in settings where therapists cannot leave the office such as classical outpatient settings. It can allow the therapist to take the client to that high cliff or to that waterfront. It can open up a lot. However, non-VR can as well. I use games like Dixit, Castle Panic, and Munchkin.

Therapy, however, is still having to manage the push to evidence-based models and methods. We know from research that relationship between therapist and client is the most important factor in recovery. However, insurances are pushing theories and models over relationship due to a massive push to brief, time-limited treatments that often ignore individual experience. Therapists often find themselves stretched between the demands of insurance, the interests of their working agencies, ethical guidelines, and experience with treatment.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
As someone who may suffer from PTSD (its been discussed with professionals but a hard diagnosis for my issues has yet to be pinned down as I exhibit many symptoms of different disorders and they're very conflicting), I've found that video game therapy helps. By that I mean I am calmest when playing games during my episodes, whether they be panic attacks, manic episodes, hallucinations (a daily occurrence), depression (multiple tiers), and/or total withdrawl.

I can have multiple symptoms/episodes "attack", and gaming focuses my attention away from whatever my mind is going through for some reason. Its like a soft-reset button, though I tend to be EXTREMELY focused on the game while doing so, to the exclusion of all else going on around me.

I'm not going to reveal the things I've been through, but the scars left on me from my traumas both physical and mental are deep and troubling. I'm not good with most types of crowds, though I can grocery shop without freaking out as long as there aren't a lot of people. Even so I have to spend sometimes upwards of an hour in my car psyching up to go in and get what I need, even if its just one damn thing. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I can just throw on some music that syncs up with my mood and I'm good to go. It depends on what type of day I'm having.

*shrug* Life is difficult for a lot of people, but people with PTSD and/or other mental issues the difficulty increases exponentially. Its so much harder for people like me to lead productive lives and it hurts because I do my best to keep it together and work hard. I've never lost a job because of poor work ethic, I'm not lazy... but all it takes is a bad day at work and I probably won't show up or have a job the next day. And its not like I can just get a note from my doctor that explains that away. Its why I've mainly worked for myself doing PC repair and basic tech work, though the last 7 years have been especially rough because of the economy and lots of cutbacks from former customers who can't afford my services.

Anyway I'm lucky though that I have a support group of parents and friends to get me through rough times, a lot of folks don't have that beyond a therapist or psych, and some don't even have those. Even with my advantages its still rough, and I'd never wish this on anyone, no matter how much I despised them.

Anyway just thought I'd share a bit.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
cainejw said:
It most certainly does! Video games have a lot of application to therapy. Unfortunately, there is a generational divide. There are many out there who believe that therapy should fit within a specific model that reflects a Freudian model -- sit at the desk, ask questions, process through the problem. It privileges communication and works only in that modality. However, we are seeing that change with new theories of practice such as play therapy, EMDR, acceptance and commitment therapy, strengths-based models, and brief solution-focused models. Many times, newer therapists are much more open to using resources like iPads, consoles, virtual reality, etc. They are used to the integration these can provide between experience, engagement, and therapy.

Virtual reality could really help in settings where therapists cannot leave the office such as classical outpatient settings. It can allow the therapist to take the client to that high cliff or to that waterfront. It can open up a lot. However, non-VR can as well. I use games like Dixit, Castle Panic, and Munchkin.

Therapy, however, is still having to manage the push to evidence-based models and methods. We know from research that relationship between therapist and client is the most important factor in recovery. However, insurances are pushing theories and models over relationship due to a massive push to brief, time-limited treatments that often ignore individual experience. Therapists often find themselves stretched between the demands of insurance, the interests of their working agencies, ethical guidelines, and experience with treatment.
I suppose my main wonder is something that still might be impossible to answer for any number of reasons. When moving through the different levels of immersion, going from a written description of a triggering context or scenario, to a video describing what is written, to an interactive console game, to a VR headset, and then to some theoretical more immersive VR experience, do the reactions to the scenarios change? Does it feel more real or more visceral? Is it more or less distressing? Put more simply, does making something more "real" but still virtual make these problems easier for people with PTS to confront?

I don't really expect concrete answers to these questions, it's perfectly understandable that there's not enough data (especially when it comes to technology that does not exist yet), and of course every person is different and impossible to generalize into one group, considering the broad variety of PTS and PTS triggers.

In any case, simply having these options for treatment of PTS is certain to provide some measure of help to people, and that is no doubt a great thing.

cainejw

Sep 6, 2008
hentropy said:
\
I suppose my main wonder is something that still might be impossible to answer for any number of reasons. When moving through the different levels of immersion, going from a written description of a triggering context or scenario, to a video describing what is written, to an interactive console game, to a VR headset, and then to some theoretical more immersive VR experience, do the reactions to the scenarios change? Does it feel more real or more visceral? Is it more or less distressing? Put more simply, does making something more "real" but still virtual make these problems easier for people with PTS to confront?

I don't really expect concrete answers to these questions, it's perfectly understandable that there's not enough data (especially when it comes to technology that does not exist yet), and of course every person is different and impossible to generalize into one group, considering the broad variety of PTS and PTS triggers.

In any case, simply having these options for treatment of PTS is certain to provide some measure of help to people, and that is no doubt a great thing.
The responses can be highly individual, of course. Theoretically, you'd expect successful exposure to lessen response over time. That may not be the case. It really just depends on the trauma, the trigger, and the generalized nature of the trigger along with personality and how ingrained the trigger became over time.

Ease is something that hasn't really been examined as far as I know due to the relatively small amount of usage. I'm not aware of any widescale usage of VR.

Roysten

Apr 25, 2014
cainejw said:
The responses can be highly individual, of course. Theoretically, you'd expect successful exposure to lessen response over time. That may not be the case. It really just depends on the trauma, the trigger, and the generalized nature of the trigger along with personality and how ingrained the trigger became over time.

Ease is something that hasn't really been examined as far as I know due to the relatively small amount of usage. I'm not aware of any widescale usage of VR.
Don't get too stuck on the whole trigger issue it's peripheral.
PTSD is a problem with an individuals ability to process a memory or memories normally; the traumatic memory is re-experienced fully as if the events are actually happening again.
The traumatic memory can be triggered but this is normal behaviour for a memory. PTSD is all about the difference between being reminded of something and re-experiencing something.
I have gone through CBT and EMDR which are pretty tough going, both of which focused on repeatedly returning to the traumatic memory. The goal of both methods was to try to train/trick the mind into processing the memory normally, to turn it into a very bad memory. A memory that could be triggered ten times a day and dreamt every night, each and every time with an emotional response. It would no longer be re-experienced though and given time just settle in with all the other good and bad memories a person has.

The use of VR seems limited, but I can see it being useful for sufferers who want treatment but have strong self preservation instincts that stop them consciously returning to the traumatic memories. Creating a virtual trigger as a shortcut though does I agree offer a dangerous alternative when talking therapies are more appropriate.

The sciences behind the treatments for PTSD is still a bit of a jumbled mess of trial and error, with ever expanding lists of subtypes of ptsd (never a good sign). More power to them trying new ideas out though maybe they might hit on something that works for everyone.